Thread: Faema how to set pressure

Faema how to set pressure

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    I am new to the coffee machine world and have purchased a second hand machine, not sure of the date. I believe the machine seems to brew coffee that lacks a bit in crema, I have a 2 section guage, from what i can gather the top section is water temp (this is in the green section so presume this is good) the bottom guage is pressure and is between 3 and 6. From what i can gather from some great articles on this site it should be around 9. If so can anyone explain how ;)i get it there?
    Thanks Alec

A_M

Re: Faema how to set pressure

Quote Originally Posted by 50787874664A767A6161747270150 link=1270892265/0#0 date=1270892265
    Hi,
    I am new to the coffee machine world and have purchased a second hand machine, not sure of the date. I believe the machine seems to brew coffee that lacks a bit in crema, I have a 2 section guage, from what i can gather the top section is water temp (this is in the green section so presume this is good) the bottom guage is pressure and is between 3 and 6. From what i can gather from some great articles on this site it should be around 9. If so can anyone explain how *;)i get it there?
    Thanks Alec
    ROFLOL

How long is a piece of string...

What model Fema ?

What beans are you using ? *If supermarket... *There is ya problem
    What grinder are you using ? If pre ground that is also the reason

Have a read of this http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/

The issue is that coffee is not a simple 2 + 2 = 4 In Fact great coffee is 2 + 2 = 5 because teh values of two are not exact and undergo lots of changes.

Quote Originally Posted by 022D2426310E222D2224262E262D37430 link=1270892265/1#1 date=1270895837
    ROFLOL

How long is a piece of string...
    is that really necessary?
    the guy explained he is new to coffee machines
    what would have been wrong with just providing some simple yet helpful adivce? failing that, post nothing?

Given that there are more Faema models out there than Ive had hot dinners, it would be helpful to know which model Faema is being discussed.... Seems a reasonable question to ask :-?

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 634C4547506F434C4345474F474C56220 link=1270892265/4#4 date=1270910197
    Did ya even bother to read past those lines.. *
    Yes I did actually.
    Infact Ive read so many threads recently its almost enough to make your eyes bleed.
    What Ive learnt is to filter out 2, possibly 3 regular contributors who would be more suited to CoffeeW**kers rather than CoffeeSnobs as their contributions are mostly just arrogant postings for posting sake. A shame really, as it makes it all the more difficult to find the really useful advice in amongst all the noise. But you seem to get that type on most message boards.

Hello Alec welcome to CS.

There is more to this than meets the eye.

First:
    The top part of the guage is *probably* steam pressure (ie boiler pressure), and you can verify this because the green section will probably cover from 0.9 to 1, OR 0.8 to 0.9 or close to....

The bottom part of the guage is *probably* water pressure.

Now making *a lot of assumptions here:

A) Assume it is a plumb in machine but you have not done so and are running it out of a bucket....ie, you have dropped the water inlet pipe into a water container and you are letting it draw from there as it makes coffee. If so, then it would be understandable if the water pressure guage only goes up to around 6 bars when it makes coffee. This is because if the machine is a plumb in model, but there is no water pressure in the inlet pipe because it is not connected to the mains, then the pressure while brewing coffee is less.... ie water pressure while brewing coffee is normally made up of the in line water pressure from the mains, in addition to the boost pressure probvided by the pump of the machine, but you are leaving out the "mains" part of the equation.

All else being equal and all in good condition, this would require an adjustment to increase the pumping pressure of the water pump, to account fo the lack of boost from the non existent mains connection.....! Phew. :D

OR

B) Assume you actually are connected to the mains with requisiste water pressure limiting valve fitted...this means the inline water pressure from the mains is regulated to go to the machine at 350 kPa. Ergo, the water pressure guage on the machine should read approximately 3.5 bars *with machine not itself pumping.

When you activate the pump to make coffee, the machines own water pump kicks in to boost that up to somewhere between 8 to 10 bars brew pressure.

If the machines water pump is seized or faulty and does not do its job, the gauge will continue to read around 3.5 bars while you brew coffee due to lack of any pressure boost from the pump.

If the pump is on the way out but hasnt failed yet, it could be fluctuating in the amount of boost it produces (indicated by guage needle fluctuation during pumping), or it could be simply producing less boost.... indicated by lesser pressure than 8 to 10. The only way to really check this would be to regulate pump to give more pressure, and see if the gauge responds or not.

OR,

C) the pressure gauge is faulty and reading incorrectly anmd there really isnt anything wrong, so lack of crema could be related to coarse ground coffee.

ALL OF THAT SAID.........

You need to provide info about:
    1) The model of machine;
    2) Is it plumbed in or not (and if not should it be?);
    3) If plumbed in does it have a water pressure limiting valve fitted and if so what pressure
    4) Are you using packet ground coffee from the supermarket (NO discussion here about its quality, simply to determine if the coffee is incorrectly ground for the purpose...supermarket / packet ground coffee is usually always too coarse for pump driven machines and will give little crema with fast pour)
    5) If you are using a grinder do you have it adjusted properly
    6) what type of grinder please (el cheapo grinders are not capable of producing correct quality of grinds for commercial type machines)
    7) good coffee making technique has been assumed......

God knows Ive probably left lots of other stuff out but this has turned into the usual 20 pager for which I am famous, while indicating there is usually more to something than meets the eye ;)

I am definitely not trying to offend but if you are not knowledgeable in the type of info discussed here then I would not want to reply directly to the question you ask in your topic (how to adjust the pump pressure).

First we dont know if that is the cause of your concern (or if it is what to specifically "fix") and Second, it would be counter productive and possibly dangerous to advise you how to fiddle with a system that you have no expertise in.

For this reason I sincerely hope no one else jumps in here with advice on how to adjust a water pump........

Ultimately, it may be that the machine should be taken to an experienced service tech for service and or set up. Ie...someone in the know actually needs to see what it is doing and diagnose a proper course of action. You may find the money is very well spent and should result in you quickly getting on your way to brewing a great cuppa.

Hope this helps,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by 033720362D1A062A23232020450 link=1270892265/5#5 date=1270944603
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor
    And in my book, a generous gentleman with incredible knowledge.

I wish I could spend 10 years or so picking your brain Attilio! :)

Quote Originally Posted by 1B3A3131362C5F0 link=1270892265/6#6 date=1270947666
    And in my book, a generous gentleman with incredible knowledge.
    +2
    no need for arrogance here folks. we were all clueless at one point. dont forget that :-?