Thread: please help - what machine should i get?

please help - what machine should i get?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I am going travelling soon and am looking for a compact espresso machine I can take with me on the road, so i can sell a few coffees to 1) help bring in some petrol money and 2) provide a good excuse to lure people over for a yarn (the real reason i guess).

So, as a result I am wanting to purchase an espresso machine (preferably second hand so i can keep the cost down) that does all of the following (and more...):

- compact size, so i can travel with it
    - internal water resevoir/ not requiring to be plumbed
    - double boilers or heat exhange so i can make espresso and froth milk at the same time
    - single group
    - makes coffees good enough to sell
    - simple/manual/durable construction

Does such a machine exist?

As of yet, I do not know much about the art of coffee, but am keen to learn, especially once i have the equipment. I will be on the lookout for a grinder too.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate machine? Please help...

Kind Regards, Alex

Re: please help - what machine should i get?

Put in a price range and we can tell you if the machine exists. If the money is right then it does but if you only have $200 to spend then you are dreaming. Also dont forget a decent grinder.

Oh and power restrictions as that can cut a fair few out too.

Be careful though you are moving into selling a food product and you will be required by law to comply with all the requirements of the area in which you are working (if you are going interstate this can get quite cumbersome and expensive in some council areas).

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1268892988

Perfect for your needs, plus a price drop today!

TC

Hello Alex and welcome...

Without a price brief, this thread will be of little use to you and you will be unlikely to receive any useful advice either.

To run a commercial coffee business requires expertise and complliance with a whole host of council, health and public liability requirements, not to mention the taxation and reporting rules you must comply with. Where do you plan to put the power, refrigeration, hot and cold running water and your cleaning equipment?? *:-?

I hate to say it, but if you think you can merely open the car boot somewhere and have someone pay you to pull a few shots, you will need to rethink....What I presently read is sounds like a decidedly dodgy pipe dream. Coffee and snake oil are incompatible!

2mcm

Yep, i hear you all. i am starting to agree it will be too difficult logistically.

But i will be in remote areas of australia, with very few "customers". Where ill be even a bad coffee will probably be gourmet, as the alternative will be mostly freeze dried instant from roadhouses. Plus people will see from my setup that it wont be world class coffee theyll be getting (possibly even uht milk in some areas). Im not the sort to take money if people arent happy with what i give them. Plus i am pretty stubborn and may need to fail at my attempt before i realise it was a bad idea to start with.

So a bit more info:
    - i will have the following power options: a generator, and a deep cell battery charged up by solar panels
    - i will have an engel fridge
    - i am willing to spend up to $1200 i guess? (which is why i think i need to go second hand). Even better if i could get a grinder too within that price.

Cheers,

Alex

I would forget trying to run a hx or dual boiler machine off a battery as it would bleed it dry very quickly, and the gen is ok as long as it is big enough to handle the machine you buy. As for the 1200 you will struggle to find what you want for that range but there are bargains out there if you look hard enough, good luck.

htb

There is a guy who sells free trade coffee at the local Saturday market. IIRC he is using a VBM Dommobar (newish one 2.7 litre boiler unlike the one I have for sale) so for low volume a HX with a largish boiler should do. Keep in mind you will need to keep some cash for a good grinder.

My tuppence worth

I have run a Silvia off a Honda 3kw generator. *I think many HX are also around 1.5kw. *I felt 3kw was about the minimum. Also the generator needs to be good trade quality. *
    So that would cost around the $1200 and they are very heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by 010C0C0905020504011A1A0C01600 link=1271741368/4#4 date=1271747249
    But i will be in remote areas of australia, with very few "customers". Where ill be even a bad coffee will probably be gourmet, as the alternative will be mostly freeze dried instant from roadhouses.
    Have you thought about how would you economically source fresh beans?
    freeze dried instant might taste better than stale beans ;D

Have you considered other options or should I say methods of coffee percolation? I am a coffee purist and last year spent 4 months travelling NZ in a camper with a gas burner. No espresso no cafes, just a brass hand burr grinder and my 3rd gen. Ibrik, I bought most my coffee fresh from small roasters around the way, ensuring freshness as the key. Every coffee was great, I love espresso with out a doubt and many CSers would Agree. If your wanting to just have a chat with random traveller on your journey, its a nice way to do it.
    cheers PTB
    written whilst drinking a double rissy at barefoot manly

Look at the 2nd hand BZ99s for $800 on the Barazi site, if you can get to Brisbane or organise freight and pair this with a Sunbeam EM0450 grinder.
    http://www.barazi.com.au/Newsflash/specials/bz99s-2nd-hand-800

This would suit your stated usage as long as you had enough power for the machine.

wow, i have never gone on a forum before, but am amazed at how useful it is for getting advice/ideas! i just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed ideas so far (some encouraging, some concerning but useful nonetheless). its helping me so much to refine my plan...