Thread: Where do I start?

Where do I start?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, Im new here - trying to decide what would suit me best. Was hoping some of you experienced people would be able to help!!

I have no experience with making coffee other than an Aeropress right now - yes that mean I just buy pre-ground :(

Budget would be ~3.5k - would go over for something special perhaps? *;)

I know this provides lots of choices... I guess most important for me is something that is consistent and quick/easy. I dont want the machine to be too big - Melbourne apartment living = small kitchens :( I wont be plumbing it in. I dont want the space between the grouphead and drainage floor to be too small. I like dials and readouts :)

It sounds like a dual boiler + PID or easy temp control would be great, but does that exist in this price range (bearing in mind I have to get a grinder as well)??

Also I saw some things about .... is it a Malkohnig or Beretza vario? But information and retail availability seems scarce? Does anyone know if that is a good choice for a grinder and how much it actually is / where one would get it?

Thanks in advance!
    Martin

Re: Where do I start?

Hi Martin,

welcome and where in the country do you live? The best thing of all is get along to a sponsor of this site if you can and have a hands on play for a start :)

The Mahlkonig and Beratza are more popular in the US on the grinder front but Mazzer and Kompak will work well and good availability in Australia. If your looking at the Minore 3 for example you have $800 left for a grinder at least so you will have a great package to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by 0106020D050F1A0A0D04630 link=1272069630/1#1 date=1272076107
    The best thing of all is get along to a sponsor of this site if you can and have a hands on play for a start *
    Hi websOr, That is really the best advice anyone here will give you. If you are unable to do the run around, give any of the sponsors a call and they will narrow the field down for you, (Chris at Talk Coffee is particularly good at it) then you can do some research and decide from a much shorter list. 3.5K will give you an awesome setup that most snobs would be more than happy to call their own. :)

Thanks guys - I will try to organise a time to visit Talk Coffee ASAP.

I didnt even realise the Minore 3 was a dual boiler - it actually seems to fit most of my requirements that I listed! Thx for the suggestion!

Site Sponsor

Should work well.. I do believe he has his Minore on special at the moment. Althought if you want a dual boiler, great craftmanship and longevity of machine talk to Chris about the Izzo Alex Duetto II. ;D

Beware the Izzo it is very nice even if it will blow your budget just a little ;D

TC

Hello and welcome webs0r!

I look forward to meeting you and showing you what we do.

The minore is very good. I think the Izzo is excellent!

I was parted with my demo Izzo by a client who had to have one now and the next shipment has been delayed by the ash in Europe... I am hopeful that they will fly in the next few days... :-/

Cheers

Chris

Hi guys, I got the Minore 3 today!!

Im having problems though, I wonder if someone can help. It is probably user error as I really dont know what Im doing but can someone tell me... when the machine is on and idling, what should the brew pressure gauge be sitting at?

Im getting sour coffee coming out and I think its due to the pressure being too low...
    After I turn it off and on it usually will come up to about 6-7 bar. When I run a bit of water to clean it it drops to 1 and stays there...
    When I pull a shot, it stays low for 5 secs or so and then goes up but never hits 10 bar.
    I tried turning the temp up from 93 deg to 100 and that helped increase the pressure but made it taste terrible!

Is that behaviour right? Is it just my dosing & tamping? Any tips?
    Not getting that honey like pour I see in the videos :(

You need to warm the machine up for 30/40 minutes as you need to get the 4 kg of E61 brass head up to temp * ;D

Temp set @ 93/94 is about right
    I am confident in saying the gauge should be about 1.1/1.2

Sour coffee is normally a sign of water to cool

Tamping and dose is critical and is a trial and error session to find the tolerances that suit your machine

KK

TC

Hi webs0r,

What you see between shots is irrelevant,

Your machine was set to 9 bar as verified by the portafilter pressure gauge- as I showed you when we were discussing your machine.

You need to go back to the dosing technique we discussed and never pull a shot at 100deg :o If you are underdosing or your grind is too coarse, you will get sour. You can also refer tot he last couple of pages of the training notes I gave you.

I suggest you use your M4D manually until you achieve balance as we tasted. If you find yourself lost, youre welcome to pop back in.

Chris

Ok good to know its me :)
    Will go through the paperwork this time heheeh ;)

I am getting there... I backed off the dosage too much!
    I guess its normal to have some resistance when putting the grouphead in?
    Tomorrow morning will try again with a slightly finer grind.

Milk is improving as well.
    Thanks guys, esp. Chris!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 283A3D2C6F2D5F0 link=1272069630/11#11 date=1272285395
    I am getting there... I backed off the dosage too much!
    I guess its normal to have some resistance when putting the grouphead in?
    Tomorrow morning will try again with a slightly finer grind.

Milk is improving as well.
    Thanks guys, esp. Chris!
    Depends...

In effect that is Overdosing and as you lock teh group in; your in effect tamping the shower head into teh coffee.... Thus like a double tamp..

:-[
    The Macap labels confused me, I was turning it the opposite way!!!!!

Finally it is making sense!!

Quote Originally Posted by 736166773476040 link=1272069630/13#13 date=1272367893
    :-[
    The Macap labels confused me, I was turning it the opposite way!!!!!

Finally it is making sense!!
    Yes it has fooled many :D
    But Mazzer and most other grinders adjusts the same

Anticlockwise for fine grind
    Clockwise for course grind

KK

The M4D labels are indeed confusing! ;D
    To make matters worse, EVERYTHING is critical! When its all correct the coffee will be sublime.
    Its no wonder that in Italy it can take more than a year before a new barista is allowed to actually pull shots for customers.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 1E3A333330300A1E3A26383A550 link=1272069630/14#14 date=1272369297
    Yes it has fooled many Cheesy
    Hah, and I thought I was the only one who had trouble working out which way ;D.

Steve, relieved :)

Mmm. Macap dial markings? *;D Join the crew.

I dont look at them any more because they confused me too much when I first began using it. Learned to ignore the broad dial markings and count the number of half-turns of the finger screw (by the way, if youre adjusting from regular to decaf for a shot, start dialling in your grind five half-turns tighter [clockwise] ballpark).

This technique is also useful if you ever dismantle your grinder and (like someone here ::)) put the collar back on in the wrong spot because you forgot to mark it, and removed the whole micrometric mechanism anyway so have no idea ;D.

Ive got to say, that Im extremely happy with my Macap, its solid performance, and its quality build. Also purchased from Chris at Talk Coffee.

Can I also suggest you drop down to your local supermarket and purchase a power-point timer that will switch on your machine 45 minutes before you need it? A solid $12 investment of mine (2 for $12) that has proven itself totally invaluable.

A little bit of white paint or type corrector fluid does wonders for knowing where your grind is now and which way it needs to go.

Greg

Congrats on your machine - I would love to have one of those :)

I was going to ask what grinder you choose, Im guessing it was the Macap M4D then. *When the budget allows for it and if youre even keener for a better cup, you would probably want to upgrade to something like a Compak K10 - which would probably be the perfect companion to any coffee machine in that class.