Thread: Portafilter woes

Portafilter woes

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Im not sure if this is the best place to post this so point me in the right direction if this should be posted elsewhere. :)

Im using a Giotto premium and have managed to fairly consistenly pull good shots with the double portafilter but dont seem to be able to manage the same result with the single. To me it looks as if the grind needs to be different for each portafilter. Ive done my best to be consistent with the basket filling technique, tamping etc. Im aided by the fact that the baskets that came with the Giotto are marked with a line where the tamp should finish. With the double basket Ive adjusted the grind to get a good shot of 2 lots of 25ml in 25 sec out of the Giotto but with the single portafilter it dribbles out and I cant seem to get my 25ml in less than 40 sec using the same grind as I use in the double.

Ive just ordered a tamp shelf to ensure that another variable is eliminated and Ill be very interested (despite some scepticism) to see if that makes a difference.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Can anyone suggest something that I might be missing?

Re: Portafilter woes

You dont say what grinder you are using.
    Single shot baskets are a pain.
    I dont think there is enough depth of grinds for the espresso to work properly.
    I gave up long ago and most replies on the subject sort of say the same.

Why use a single basket?
    Why not make a short double shot (?ristretto) using the double basket (with a few less grinds if you want with a slightly finer grind). *Pull the PF away early (start with 20ml max). *The colour should be consistently very dark. *This seems to be the standard at good coffee shops in Perth. *Giotto is great machine. *I find it is very sensitive to the grind.

This is bound to attract a reply!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4B425F4F485E18182D0 link=1273659781/0#0 date=1273659781
    Im not sure if this is the best place to post this so point me in the right direction if this should be posted elsewhere. :)

Im using a Giotto premium and have managed to fairly consistenly pull good shots with the double portafilter but dont seem to be able to manage the same result with the single. *To me it looks as if the grind needs to be different for each portafilter. *Ive done my best to be consistent with the basket filling technique, tamping etc. *Im aided by the fact that the baskets that came with the Giotto are marked with a line where the tamp should finish. *With the double basket Ive adjusted the grind to get a good shot of 2 lots of 25ml in 25 sec out of the Giotto but with the single portafilter it dribbles out and I cant seem to get my 25ml in less than 40 sec using the same grind as I use in the double. *

Ive just ordered a tamp shelf to ensure that another variable is eliminated and Ill be very interested (despite some scepticism) to see if that makes a difference.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? *Can anyone suggest something that I might be missing?
    Been discussed many times before as many make the assumption that every thing is *=

Single to a double; changes a whole mess of things that impact on the physics arround Coffee grinds and water *;D *In essence you will need to change the grind *AND OR tamp to get the result in the cup that you might hope for.

Secondly.. What ya get from a single will never be the same as the double; regardless of what you do... For me... I see no reason to ever even consider using a *single... * Some are almost a double, but that just complicates things.

Singles make good ash trays and plates for dead flys.

Now that will upset some purists and I accept that...

However for those without a trained pallet... I stand by my call. *If i want a single shot, then one of two options.

Double basket;

A: Pull the shot short

B: Use a double spout and only use one spout. *Let the other side go to the drain or collect and use later for iced coffee.

Again some purists would state that A and B will have different results in the cup... *TRUE.

For the untrained pallet and a milk based drink... Most would never be able to make the call.

Thus how ya intend to manage a single is up to you and only you..

Thanks for this. Im using a Compak K3 Elite grinder and am confident that the grinder isnt an issue. Im now a bit more confident that Im not doing something wrong.

I dont want to change the grind settings for the occasions where I only want a single shot so I might do the same and persist with only using a double portafilter. I am a bit stubborn so Ill try to develop a bit of a different technique before I give up. Ill vary the load and the tamp to see if that makes a difference. Up till now Ive been trying for consistency between baskets. Now Ill experiment with a unique approach to each basket. If that doesnt work the single basket will make its way to the storage cupboard as I only occasionally need single shots.

Thanks for your help!