Thread: Domobar Junior or Diadema Junior Levetta?

Domobar Junior or Diadema Junior Levetta?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all I have narrowed my search for a new machine down to 2. The VBM Domobar Junior HX /Diadema Junior Lever. Any opinions out there ie pros/cons .Great deals on the Diadema from some sponsors interstate (im in Sydney but going to Melbourne in 2 weeks time) but would like to buy local . The main reason i have chosen these 2 is the Weight as i do a lot of trips and i like to take my machine with me.

Re: Domobar Junior or Diadema Junior Levetta?

I suggest you visit upon your return to Sydney
    Sponsors
    Di Bartoli and speak to Renzo Or Ofra
    Jet Black Espresso and see Charlie

Have you seen
    The Bezzera BZ 99 is a very light machine but has a more industrial look

The BZ 07 is light & small & shiny

KK

TC

Cuppacoffee can also supply either machine. Dont forget about Dennis ;)

Caffeine Junky

I have not used either of these machines but they will probably be at the top of my list if I decide to go down the HX path again.

Have not read a bad thing about either of them and doubt youd be disappointed in either choice. The prices on the Diademas from sponsors at the moment would be very difficult to resist. I like commercial look of these machines. If you prefer something a bit more blingy, the VMB DBR JR looks like a scaled down Giotto. Nice small footprint from people who are tight for space (like me).

Thanks Caffine Junky I also have not ruled out an Oscar which i used on a home barista course. I dont know if the other machines are worth the extra dollars,maybe i am a CS because i like the shiny bling

A_M

Bling is one thing only; great coffee transands looks.

Just ask my wife.... She got my ugly mug but is over the moon cause she has great coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by 5F5A49495E570803033B0 link=1273981921/0#0 date=1273981920
    The main reason i have chosen these 2 is the Weight as i do a lot of trips and i like to take my machine with me.
    If your looking for a traveller why not grab a VBM piccolo , the little single boiler job , it is a bit lighter , with a small footprint and extremely capable .....and usually about $1k S/hand , there are always a few CS wanting to upgrade.

That is , unless you want it to do duties at home as well.

hotshod

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 5552494E5552593D0 link=1273981921/6#6 date=1274050123
    Quote Originally Posted by 5F5A49495E570803033B0 link=1273981921/0#0 date=1273981920
    The main reason i have chosen these 2 is the Weight as i do a lot of trips and i like to take my machine with me. *
    If your looking for a traveller why not grab a VBM piccolo , the little single boiler job , it is a bit lighter , with a small footprint and extremely capable .....and usually about $1k S/hand , there are always a few CS wanting to upgrade.

That is , unless you want it to do duties at home as well.

hotshod
    I think the Domobar Junior makes an outstanding traveller. In fact, Ill be using one for that exact purpose for a few days next week. Its not too much larger than the Piccolo and theres no need to prime as you need to do in a single boiler machine.

With our present brilliant Talk Coffee and Cuppacoffee deals on Diadema and continuing great prices on the VBM, its probably worth having a scrounge around down the back or the couch for a few extra coins. That way, youll never have to wonder what it would be like to have a real, Italian built HX machine.

Chris

Interesting....

How would the Expobar E-61 Leva rate in comparison to Domobar Junior and Diadema Levetta??

Do they all have brass/copper boilers??

Current deals are tempting......Perth members seems to get less value, no training etc :(

Quote Originally Posted by 5347545B5F5450350 link=1273981921/8#8 date=1274070601
    Perth members seems to get less value, no training etcCry

Ahhh........the tyranny of distance, know what you mean, at times us country folk feel the same way. I sympathise.

Steve

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 5440535C585357320 link=1273981921/8#8 date=1274070601
    Perth members seems to get less value, no training etc *
    I feel for you....A 15% discount on RRP + extras is terrible "value". More than enough to cover some training Id reckon... * :-? ::)

Chris is there much difference between the Diadema Semi Auto or the Vbm Junior

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 5743505F5B5054310 link=1273981921/8#8 date=1274070601
    Current deals are tempting......Perth members seems to get less value, no training etcCry
    Quote Originally Posted by 7C5E5F5E310 link=1273981921/9#9 date=1274070993
    Ahhh........the tyranny of distance, know what you mean, at times us country folk feel the same way. I sympathise.

Steve

We offer a over the phone training session for members that cant make it to our showroom. Session on average goes for 2 hours and we cover all areas as we would during training in the showroom if anything it takes longer over the phone. Several snobs have taken us up on this offer and been very happy with the session and attested to this and more importantly..the results in the cup!

Also more importantly unlimited after sales support is just as important!

I feel for you....A 15% discount on RRP + extras is terrible "value". More than enough to cover some training Id reckon... * :-? ::)
    I said "less" value, you said "terrible" value *;)

So are these few machines are all much of muchness then?

With the recent demise of my Ikon (steaming problems), I will be visiting Cuppacoffee on Saturday morning to see which of these machines best suits my small kitchen (i.e. on a trolley). The question is VBM "bling" or Diadema for a slightly cheaper price. My previous dealing with Talk Coffee (pre Cuppacoffee) for my grinder was nothing but exceptional :). So, I am sure Den can help me out. Will let you know which direction I have gone.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2C3F20237A7A7D4A0 link=1273981921/14#14 date=1274229553
    With the recent demise of my Ikon (steaming problems), I will be visiting Cuppacoffee on Saturday morning to see which of these machines best suits my small kitchen (i.e. *on a trolley). The question is VBM "bling" or Diadema for a slightly cheaper price. My previous dealing with Talk Coffee (pre Cuppacoffee) for my grinder was nothing but exceptional *:). So, I am sure Den can help me out. Will let you know which direction I have gone.
    Go the functionality over bling - I like the Diademas.

That was a great coffee, can I have another *8-)

Vs

Great bling.. Na its fine... One is enough *;)

I also love the deep waist tray.. *Love dumping shots when not happy and flushing and rinsing... And not having to run to the sink... Just like being at work *:)

So many drop around and often say.. They can not do that with their systems.. *It is *an overlooked Userbility issue - that means a lot to me as to over all functionality.

One thing I hated with the sunbeam.. spilling dirty coffee muck all over the place.. Ya that red button was ignored until too late.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 22312E2D747473440 link=1273981921/14#14 date=1274229553
    will be visiting Cuppacoffee on Saturday morning to see which of these machines best suits my small kitchen (i.e. *on a trolley). The question is VBM "bling" or Diadema for a slightly cheaper price. My previous dealing with Talk Coffee (pre Cuppacoffee) for my grinder was nothing but exceptional *:). So, I am sure Den can help me out. Will let you know which direction I have gone.
    And that Den will!

Do make a time fuji as Saturday maorning is frequently frenetic at cuppacoffee ;)

Chris

Site Sponsor

Fuji007;

Check the Isomac Tea as well, is coming very strong as well.

and do not forget your CS discount @ Di Bartoli ;)

Regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre (Sydney-Bondi Junction)

Hi Fuji - pm sent.

Quote Originally Posted by 725D5456417E525D5254565E565D47330 link=1273981921/15#15 date=1274229793
    How is the VBM more bling than the Diadema? I will confess, I have never seen a Diadema in the flesh. But in photos - especially Mals photos of his Junior Extra - the Diadema looks absolutely stunning.

I own a VBM and I wouldnt call it bling. To me it looks more no frills than some other similar machines eg GPP and Domus Galatea are more bling than the VBM which to my eye has too many square edges to be called bling.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5B5C57575C4D4D390 link=1273981921/19#19 date=1274263665
    Quote Originally Posted by 725D5456417E525D5254565E565D47330 link=1273981921/15#15 date=1274229793
    How is the VBM more bling than the Diadema? I will confess, I have never seen a Diadema in the flesh. But in photos - especially Mals photos of his Junior Extra - the Diadema looks absolutely stunning.

I own a VBM and I wouldnt call it bling. To me it looks more no frills than some other similar machines eg GPP and Domus Galatea are more bling than the VBM which to my eye has too many square edges to be called bling.
    Easy.. I never said it was... That is the way you read my response to the quote, that was also included in my post.

Read the full post and in context. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1273981921/0#15

Some might say the *Diadema is bling... To me, mine is like an old grandma. *Been there done that and with some purple rinse applied; has been known to scrub up well at times.. *But not BLING *:o

Hey AM---I thought purple rinse WAS bling!!?

Greg

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0E3B2C2E1E263B2428252D490 link=1273981921/21#21 date=1274264754
    Hey AM---I thought purple rinse WAS bling!!?

Greg

But it washes out... Only temporary ... giggled like a schoolgirl.... Stop it :D

If it were me Id grab either one of the Diademas .

As an owner of a semi-auto , (previous model ,with rocker not toggle switches ) I am still impressed by the quality of the thing every day.
    I upgraded from a VBM Piccolo, and I know a lot of CS like the lever operation , but personally I prefer the chassis layout of the Semi-Auto , being able to stack cups and ease of refilling without having to remove cups , and basically the lever is a switch and with the obvious quality of the BFC machines I cant imagine the *extra *electrics in the Semi-Auto being a consideration.

We luv ours, and at that price would recommend them highly....

Cheers

Im biased of course but Id recommend going with the Diadema.... ::)

Give Chris, Den or Roger a call too as they will give you an unbiased opinion, given that they sell the machines in question including many others..... 8-)

Mal.

Interesting.....so the Semi-auto works the same and you can control the shot manually using the switches? I presume the internals for both units are the same? I was told to stay away from semi-autos because of the electronics....

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5C485B54505B5F3A0 link=1273981921/25#25 date=1274315866
    Interesting.....so the Semi-auto works the same and you can control the shot manually using the switches? *I presume the internals for both units are the same? I was told to stay away from semi-autos because of the electronics....
    Define Semi-Auto.. If they were so bad...

Why does every shop use them. *Wont see too many busy places using just manuals... A special or a lever maybe for special shots... But not the main work flow.

Whether they are bad or not, thats what I want to know. In home environment, would you go semi-auto??

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 6B7F6C63676C680D0 link=1273981921/27#27 date=1274320899
    Whether they are bad or not, thats what I want to know. In home environment, would you go semi-auto??
    I guess technically speaking both of the above Diademas are semi-auto machines. People usually refer to manual machines as those where the action of the lever physically moves the water from the boiler to the group.

The levers in the machines above simply operate a switch rather than flicking a toggle or pushing a button.

Based on reputation and the recommendation of multiple sponsors I would have no hesitation in going for the Diadema Jr Plus semi-auto. In fact I am seriously considering getting one myself at that price!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5D495A55515A5E3B0 link=1273981921/27#27 date=1274320899
    Did not have all the data.. And I stand by my comments..

Have had / used plain manual systems (Diadema) and the last three up market units have been Semi Autos. *2 x Diademas and currently a DCM.. *And Prior to that the EM6910.. *

NEVER EVER had a problem with the volumetrics in any of them.

Had switches fail or get stick in both manuals and semi Autos.

Assumptions as to " Electronics" only confuses the real issues as all machines (other the odd ones) have electronics involved... Just look at the screams for help with Auto Fill and GiCar units.. Opps same unit and part number in Manuals.

Do a search from the very start of CS.. Lots of GiCar.. Never seen or heard of a semi Auto with shot problems due to electronics...

Quote Originally Posted by 51505A495752483B0 link=1273981921/28#28 date=1274322493
    Based on reputation and the recommendation of multiple sponsors I would have no hesitation in going for the Diadema Jr Plus semi-auto. *In fact I am seriously considering getting one myself at that price!
    Go for it you will be surprised.. Pleasantly *8-)

My wife will not have manuals.. Not time efficient in her books *;D

I can operate in Auto mode or manual.. Just means I hit the button / rather than trying to grasp a lever.. Easer for those with arthritis *:)

Ah........for some reason, I am thinking the semi-auto being like volumetric, which is not the case here. Thats the trouble of not being able to look at one. I called a coffee machine place here in Perth thinking they will have one to look at, but they dont stock them anymore...

So semi-auto is like the Silvia, using switch to pull a shot and thats it! Well, if thats the case and you dont need to get the cups off to fill the tank, it has to be the one.

Caffeine Junky

Yes the nomenclature is a little confusing at first:

Manual (water is pumped by action of the lever)
    Semi-auto (pump machines. on/off manually controlled by operator. can include lever machines like the Giotto)
    Auto (like a semi-auto but with volumetric control)
    Superauto (grinding, dosing, tamping all done automatically by machine)

Thanks CJ !

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 3F3E3427393C26550 link=1273981921/31#31 date=1274357735
    Yes the nomenclature is a little confusing at first:

Manual (water is pumped by action of the lever)
    Semi-auto (pump machines. on/off manually controlled *by operator. can include lever machines like the Giotto)
    Auto (like a semi-auto but with volumetric control)
    Superauto (grinding, dosing, tamping all done automatically by machine)
    CJ well done... Being a bit slow and old school... I tend to lump into 3 and as you correctly said the nomenclature is and can be a little confusing..

My comments previously may need to be put in context.

Leaver is a Lever... AP, Stove top, Preso, Plunger, Instant (sub sections of the board term Manual)

A: Manual = Operator Starts and STOPS the SHOT.

B: Semi-Auto = Operator Starts BUT the machine stops teh shot (time / Volume etc) - Usually has a manual override.

C: AUTO = Operator starts teh Process... The machine starts and stops the shot and a whole lot of other crap.

Note: Small manual levers that just manage the 3 way group solenoid and activate teh Shot via a push switch... Are not a Lever machine... They are a manual to me :)

I guess the nomenclature is for ever changing and for me it has always been based around the SHOT.. Not if it had a grinder built in Or a shot timer or Volumetric or a toggle switch or push button or key pad etc..

It was always about the Start and stooping of teh SHOT.

B: Semi-Auto = Operator Starts BUT the machine stops the shot (time / Volume etc) - Usually has a manual override.

But this is not the case for the Diadema Semi-auto is it???

Maybe time to ring the sponsors.....

Quote Originally Posted by 3B2F3C33373C385D0 link=1273981921/34#34 date=1274401495
    B: Semi-Auto = Operator Starts BUT the machine stops the shot (time / Volume etc) - Usually has a manual override.

Correct - simply on and off - the Electronica is volumetric.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 67607B73746661150 link=1273981921/35#35 date=1274405378

Correct - simply on and off - the Electronica is volumetric.
    Correct. :)

Caffeine Junky

Perhaps we here at CS should create new terminology which would hopefully permeate around the world. Something like:

Traditional Lever - e.g. La Pavoni Europiccola
    Lever - e.g. Giotto
    Manual - e.g. Silvia
    Semi-Auto - Diadema Junior Electronic, EM6910
    Auto (or Crapo-matic) - Jura, etc.

Sorry Im getting OT now...

Hi all , lever, auto ,semi auto *[smiley=rolleyes.gif] i just lift the lever on my nice new VBM Domobar Junior HX thanks to Supreme Roasters.pulled a couple of shots and [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]and i already have made a couple of decent coffees,just have to practice now.

Quote Originally Posted by 616477776069363D3D050 link=1273981921/38#38 date=1274420860
    Hi all , lever, auto ,semi autoSmiley i just lift the lever on my nice new VBM Domobar Junior HX thanks to Supreme Roasters.pulled a couple of shots and Smileyand i already have made a couple of decent coffees,just have to practice now.
    Congrats darrel, VBM, Diadema..........both make great machines. Either of these machines shouldnt be the limiting factor with your shots. I looked hard at the DJE ended with junior, very happy as I expect you will be...........enjoy :)

Steve

welcome to the club. Enjoy. Youre gonna love it. :)

Caffeine Junky

Just thought Id piggyback this thread to say Ive finally made a decision and ordered myself a VBM Jr from Chris at Talk Coffee.

I was nearly swayed by the awesome deals for the Diadema machines but deep down knew I wanted the Jr for the looks and the small footprint. When Chris advertised the ex-demo machine today I pounced.

My Anfim Best grinder is eagerly awaiting the arrival of Jr. The Mokita currently sitting next to it is suffering inferiority complex.

Quote Originally Posted by 6E6F6576686D77040 link=1273981921/41#41 date=1274848181
    Just thought Id piggyback this thread to say Ive finally made a decision and ordered myself a VBM Jr from Chris at Talk Coffee.
    "And another one joins the club" :). Well done CJ. I can attest that they are capable of great coffee, enjoy.

Steve

Theres lots of us now in the jnr club. Youre gonna love it. Enjoy. The grinder will be a good match too.

Caffeine Junky

Thanks Steve. I was ogling one at a store this morning. They are not a sponsor so had no intention of buying from them but asked what deal they could do for it, just out of interest. Would not budge from the RRP or throw in any extras.

Quote Originally Posted by 36373D2E30352F5C0 link=1273981921/44#44 date=1274854574
    Thanks Steve.I was ogling one at a store this morning. They are not a sponsor so had no intention of buying from them but asked what deal they could do for it, just out of interest. Would not budge from the RRP or throw in any extras.
    Sounds like TC has looked after you [as per normal :)]. Curious as to where you store all your coffee toys :-/ must have on cluttered shed ::) :)

Steve.

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 012322234C0 link=1273981921/45#45 date=1274855694
    Curious as to where you store all your coffee toys :-/ must have on cluttered shed ::) :)
    Definitely cant keep it all the shed, the wife might spot it there. Dreading the day she comes into the office to spot the massive commercial grinder I just bought.
    There is some stuff in the shed, some under my desk here at work, in the spare office, etc.

Essentially these are now my 2 main set ups:

Home: VBM Jr + Anfim Best + Bogav Tamper
    Office: NS Oscar + Gino Rossi CC45A

Most of the rest will probably go soon. Although Im sure it wont be long before I start accumulating more toys!

franjae FYI :

"....I was told to stay away from semi-autos because of the electronics....:

Semi Auto (as in modern solenoid operated electric group, pump driven machines) AND
    E61 retro lever (as in "short" lever group, pump driven machines),

ALL have basic (and similar if not identical) electronic control boxes in them to control the automatic boiler level.

The extra electronics you have been refered to are in the Volumetric machines with the extra control required for the auto stop function of the flow from the groups.

So what you have been advised to keep away from is volumetric machines (rather than semi autos).....

But....in this day and age volumetric machines are in the main very reliable. It is the older models that you should steer clear of and that simply means, dont buy someone elses old rubbish.

Hope this helps.

Regardz,
    Attilio.