Thread: E98 Faema coffee machine thinking of buying

E98 Faema coffee machine thinking of buying

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, I have been looking at buying a decent coffee machine for some time and have been looking on ebay. Theres currently a faema e98 for sale and the bids are only at about $1000 dollars. It closes this thurday and I wanted to get your opinion on what would be a fair price to pay. The machine is brand new and from the reviews Ive read it is worth buying. What do you think should be the point I pull out of the bidding? $1000 dollars seems very cheap to me as Ive looked on line and they are normally well over $2000 dollars. Having never bought this sort of quality before, or used ebay, what are your thoughts and suggestions?

TC

Re: E98 Faema coffee machine thinking of buying

Quote Originally Posted by 2B252C7170400 link=1274257102/0#0 date=1274257101
    Hi, I have been looking at buying a decent coffee machine for some time and have been looking on ebay. Theres currently a faema e98 for sale and the bids are only at about $1000 dollars. It closes this thurday and I wanted to get your opinion on what would be a fair price to pay. The machine is brand new and from the reviews Ive read it is worth buying. What do you think should be the point I pull out of the bidding? $1000 dollars seems very cheap to me as Ive looked on line and they are normally well over $2000 dollars. Having never bought this sort of quality before, or used ebay, what are your thoughts and suggestions?
    Hello Kel and welcome...

I reckon you will most likely fix the bargain price problem pretty quickly now that you have alerted 11000 coffee fanatics to the auction ::)

Caveat emptor with eBay. I had a client last year who picked up a bargain Giotto Premium which was riddled with scale, had been dropped, was in really bad external condition and required, pump, pump solenoid, control board, wiring loom, pressurestat, safety and anti-vac valves and host of seals and o-rings- just to get it going. Needless that his bargain purchase left him not that far away from the price of a new machine- and it still looked like a train wreck.

As for the Faema, I reckon they run really hot and need tweaking to get the best out of them.

Buy at your own risk

A_M

Buyer beware..

If ya not up to doing lots of work your self.. If ya can get the parts etc..

Think of it like closing ya eyes and tossing $2K on the roulette table = Maybe it will land on a number OR the table OR even end up on the floor.

Even if it ends up on a number... May very well mean nothing any way.

In this case it is local to me and any number of other mad Faema fans and now a few more.. New in a box is always interesting.. Sometimes even true.

Was passed in earlier I thought; but may now get some interest ?

PS. Ya not dublediva *and trying to promote the unit are you ? (sorry I am a cynic and people do try interesting things to bump $$$)

I bought a e98 of ebay a couple of yeas ago for $1600 after missing three or four that went for similar amounts. At the time there seemed to be a lot of them around for sale - there were several unwanted prizes for sale. The machine was in the box but the boiler needed a good flush out. Since then it has given regular daily service for the past two years and I couldnt be happier with the performance or the quality in the cup.
    I think the E98 compact S1 is a great machine and couldnt recommend it enough.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6E4E5D40412F0 link=1274257102/3#3 date=1274258980
    ...after missing three or four that went for similar amounts. At the time there seemed to be a lot of them around for sale...
    The truck must have hit a pothole :-?

i had a look at a "unwanted prize" e98 recently here in SYD.

i found out it was not a "prize" but had been given to the guy as he had bought some other equipment off some big coffee bean seller called V..........a (incentive kickback?)

anyway if you can go check it out, if it is really "new" then it should be fine, i would discuss warranty with the seller (or if they can pas it on to you)

the one in syd was "no warranty" from the actual supplier due to it being given away by them (they were not prepared to offer warranty to a third party) when i called them to confirm

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 5D535A0706360 link=1274257102/0#0 date=1274257101
    I just sold my 98 thru CS to a snobber in Sydney (hi Peter). It was (is) a bomb proof machine, simple to operate and if looked after will last forever - and give you endless shots of great coffee as well.

A lot of the parts are interchangeable with the Cimbali Junior. As Chris said they can over heat but mine never did. Maybe it was tweeked before I got it.

Best to look before you bid.

Ive got a Faema E98 compact S1 Coffee Machine at work in my office. Yes I know that seems like an excess. But I drink more coffee at work than at home. Anyway I picked it up on ebay for around $1200. It was in really good condition. It is a simple machine to use and can produce a very nice cup pf coffee. While it is no where near as good as the BOEMA Single Group machine I have at home, it is still an excellent machine if looked after and serviced. Had a service done on mine recently and cost about $262. Its working like a dream. But eBay can be a bit of a lucky dip. So beware.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 227D657378737F767675757D717E100 link=1274257102/4#4 date=1274260399
    Quote Originally Posted by 6E4E5D40412F0 link=1274257102/3#3 date=1274258980
    ...after missing three or four that went for similar amounts. At the time there seemed to be a lot of them around for sale...
    The truck must have hit a pothole *:-?
    I remember this as I looked at them at the time. Vittoria were giving them away for buying your coffee from your local supermarket (at least, it was advertised up & down the isles at safeway & coles... I was in the isle at the time admiring a prominent judge putting their name to a supermarket coffee with a 12 month best before date on it).
    Of course, people buying their coffee from their local supermarket have no need for such a machine & no idea what to do with one once it got sent to them, except sell them off for a tidy profit.