Thread: What now?

What now?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After a little bit of advice.
    My first coffee machine, Sunbeam 6910 has sadly passed away and now i am in the unfortunate (yeah right !) position of requiring an upgrade.
    I am a tad confused on what to get, i am looking at the Isomac Tea and a new grinder. I am not really sure about the lil lever thingy and what a hx machine is so am not sure what to look for.
    I mostly have lattess (large ones) so group head height is important, and something relatively easy to use and quick to heat up.
    Would like this to be my final coffee machine purchase for a few years so the choice has to be right. I live in Adelaide.

Any tips, experience on these machines or similar machines would be helpful.

Thanks

Caffeine Junky

Re: What now?

Hi Mandell and welcome to the forum.

At around the price of the Tea there are numerious good options including:

Diadema Junior Semi Auto
    Diadema Junior Leva
    Isomac Millennium
    Expobar E61 Leva
    Expobar Minore III
    Bezerra BZ07
    Bezerra BZ99
    VBM Domobar Junior
    ...and others

If youíre willing to spend the money then Iíd definitely go for a HX machine, which all the above are apart from the Minore which has 2 separate boilers (one for brewing and one or steaming). *All of these machines are capable of producing an excellent coffee and if well looked after should give you many years of service.

The guys at Coffee Craft have a good range and are worth visiting, if you havenít done already.

Some sponsors in other states (Talk Coffee, Supreme Roasters & Cuppacoffee Ė sorry if Iíve left out others) have great deals on the above Diadema machines which would be hard to knock back.

The lever, which most of the above machines have, is essentially a fancy switch. *Itís there more for aesthetics and turns the solenoid on/off. *Donít confuse it with a manual lever machine where you arm is actually doing the work of a pump.

I just sold a Giotto and am getting a VBM Domobar Junior delivered next week. *Youíre more than welcome to have a play once itís settled in. *

Just as important, if not more so, is the grinder. *I would definitely be upgrading that too if youre currently using a Sunbeam. *Perhaps the best value one is the Compak K3 Touch. *

Lastly, have you done anything with your dead EM6910? *Anger Management, one of our Brisbane-based members may be interested in it.

dodgy

Hi Mandell,

You might want to consider the Shuttle as well! *:)

The E61 Shuttle Control Centre

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 720106370 link=1275024970/2#2 date=1275026954
    Hi Mandell,

The E61 Shuttle Control Centre
    Ya beet me to it...

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 740700310 link=1275024970/2#2 date=1275026954
    Yes of course!

Mandell youve definitely come to the right place for advice.
    I would strongly encourage you to get in contact with any of our fine sponsors both here in Adelaide and interstate.

You made need to obtain a bottomless group handle if you insist on large lattes.
    That will give you a little more room.

"Quick to heat up" I know the Sunbeam was supposedly quick but they also benefited (made better coffee) from a proper 30min + warmup.

Hi all,

Im a newbie in exactly the same position as Mendall (those Sunbeams just cant take the heat). Im curious as to why the La Scala butterfly never gets put on anyones list. Is their a reason for this?

Also (and I know this is hard to answer), can anyone provide direction as to build quality in the 2000-2500 range. I am looking for a long term purchase and I live in Bundaberg (repairs would likely be out of town) so reliability is pretty important.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I can only speak for my Expobar Leva.
    Hasnt skipped a beat in 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 2631302335263027540 link=1275024970/6#6 date=1277645447
    Hi all,

Im a newbie in exactly the same position as Mendall (those Sunbeams just cant take the heat). *Im curious as to why the La Scala butterfly never gets put on anyones list. *Is their a reason for this?

Also (and I know this is hard to answer), can anyone provide direction as to build quality in the 2000-2500 range. *I am looking for a long term purchase and I live in Bundaberg (repairs would likely be out of town) so reliability is pretty important.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    A reputable and knowledgeable retailer in Melbourne stocks the Butterfly and recommends it highly, he has a good illustrated review of the machine on his web site.
    If you cant figure out who it is let me know, will pm his details to you. Suggest you also do a search on this site, quite a bit of helpful info comes up.*:)

Thanks Old JW,

I have read his article and the simplicity of the design did impress me.

I am torn between just buying something untried (no real trial options in bundy) or living on plunger coffee for several months (not really an option is it).

I appreciate the help. I will continue to trawl though this website whilst deeply missing my morning espresso. :(

Dwards.

Quote Originally Posted by 2A3D3C2F392A3C2B580 link=1275024970/9#9 date=1277817957
    Thanks Old JW,

I have read his article and the simplicity of the design did impress me.

I am torn between just buying something untried (no real trial options in bundy) or living on plunger coffee for several months (not really an option is it).

I appreciate the help. *I will continue to trawl though this website whilst deeply missing my morning espresso. :(

Dwards.
    I considered a butterfly, however crossed it off the list because it seems to be stocked by very few retailers, service and spare parts could be a concern, so I went for something more widely available. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 2631302335263027540 link=1275024970/6#6 date=1277645447
    Im curious as to why the La Scala butterfly never gets put on anyones list. *Is their a reason for this?
    Hey Dwards,
    its a good question and the topic has seen some heated debate in the past. *There can occasionally be a bit of an espresso machine mafia round these parts. *Cest la vie!

I can only comment from my own experience with the machine after 3+ years. *In that time, its been flawless from a operation perspective - never a breakdown. *Ive changed one group gasket (it was still in good shape but did it anyway), descaled (barely needed), adjusted the brew pressure down from factory setting and tweaked the temp via the pressurstat. *Of course, deep cleans every few months, chemical backflushes every few weeks and water-only backflushes after each use.

Its built like a tank, has internals that are easily accessible and uses mostly stock standard parts that are available from retailers (such as coffeeparts.com). *Being a long way away, I shared your concerns over parts & service. *

I plumbed mine in, in a semi-automatic sense. *I bought a solenoid and placed it in-line between the water outlet and the filter. *With a push of a button, my water tank refilled. *Installing a drain didnt go as smoothly as insufficient clearance underneath the machine caused the hose to kink. *It still possible to do but youd want a hole in your counter directly beneath - not an option for everyone.

The shower screen has quite a curve to it and as such, you may find a convex tamper yields better results. *I certainly did.

Post adjustment, I found it to be quite temperature stable, requiring minimal cooling flushes.

It wont win any beauty contests but has an industrial aesthetic that either you like or you dont.

If these ramblings havent bored you too much, I hope they help you to make an informed decision and good luck with your impending purchase, whatever it may be *:)

Brgds,

Epic76

P.S. A user review: http://www.absolute-clarity.com/butterfly.html

Ive had mine for about 4 years and no complaints. A couple of changed gaskets and thats it. The cooling flush is not much of an issue for me as I dont leave it on idle. A more flexible steam wand would be a good improvement.

Thanks for your input everyone. After getting some excellent advice I am now looking at the Vibiemme Junior. Fantastic footprint for my kitchen (cant convince other half to convert our centre Island bench to a commercial machine setup for some reason??). The lack of sellers (and support) for the La Scala is definitely a concern. I do like its look though.

Quote Originally Posted by 4354554650435542310 link=1275024970/13#13 date=1278162705
    The lack of sellers (and support) for the La Scala is definitely a concern.I do like its look though. *
    My main concern as well D, had they been more widely available I may well have bought one, they certainly are a nice looking machine and seem to be very well put together.
    Its history now, bought the Bezzera Galatea Domus and am more than happy with it. :)

For the record, I just wanted to update my progress. I am now the happy owner of Vibiemme domobar Junior and a Compak K3 touch. I had some great help from Roger at Supreme Roasters and he has been fantastic with phone help (given Im about 400km away). Still getting the hang of everything but I am very happy.

The size of the junior is great and every now and then I get a pour just right. For all those looking, I had the junior for a few days prior to the grinder arriving. Using my old sunbeam grinder was working fine and I was pretty happy, wondering whether the new grinder was an unnecessary spend. Then the K3 arrived. I improvement in the coffee was unbelievable.

So if you are considering a better machine, particularly if you are considering upgrading from a Sunbeam 6910 set up, firstly go for it you wont regret it. Secondly, dont neglect the grinder.

D

Quote Originally Posted by 6E79786B7D6E786F1C0 link=1275024970/15#15 date=1279199566
    For the record, I just wanted to update my progress. *I am now the happy owner of Vibiemme domobar Junior and a Compak K3 touch. *I had some great help from Roger at Supreme Roasters and he has been fantastic with phone help (given Im about 400km away). *Still getting the hang of everything but I am very happy.

The size of the junior is great and every now and then I get a pour just right. *For all those looking, I had the junior for a few days prior to the grinder arriving. *Using my old sunbeam grinder was working fine and I was pretty happy, wondering whether the new grinder was an unnecessary spend. *Then the K3 arrived. *I improvement in the coffee was unbelievable.

So if you are considering a better machine, particularly if you are considering upgrading from a Sunbeam 6910 set up, firstly go for it you wont regret it. *Secondly, dont neglect the grinder.

D
    This is good news. I am also in the process of upgrading, and have just ordered the Diadema Unico Splendor and Mazzer Mini from Roger at Supreme Roasters, having recieved very helpful information from a number of site sponsors. Despite the excellent deal I was cut, My credit card has only just stopped smoking this am, and I am now able to see the numbers clearly again:) Local interest in this machine is growing by the day and the list of coffee lovers wanting to line up for a sample is over 10 already. I also have a well maintained, and well used 6910 and grinder for sale in the near future. I guess someone local will probably take it from me as a first step machine at a sensibly low price. ;)

Hello everyone,

I should make new subject, but my question is so close to Mandell.
    So I just ask question here, if you guys dont mind.
    I have been using full automatic machine (Jura S9) for about 5 years.
    And I am now desire to make real coffee at home...
    My budget is under $3K for all (include grinder).

My question right now is where should I buy them?
    I live in Adelaide and I just found one site sponsor "Coffee Craft" in SA.
    Guys, Do you recommend any shops around Adelaide ?
    Well if Coffee Craft is the best in SA, I have no problem...
    I knew Rio coffee has some, but they sale nothing low price....

Quote Originally Posted by 40555F5D6B5D5051475D535A340 link=1275024970/17#17 date=1279796167
    I live in Adelaide and I just found one site sponsor "Coffee Craft" in SA.
    Then start there.
    As a site sponsor they are already recommended.

Pretty sure that The Coffee Barun is also located in S.A. and worth checking out too.... 8-)

Mal.

Thundergod and Mal Thanks.
    And also I got a PM from Supreme Roaster, Thanks too.