Thread: Newbie with limited range available.

Newbie with limited range available.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Snobs.
    Another bloody "what to buy" question from a noob!

I have been sifting around the forums, reading and (hopefully) learning for the last few weeks.
    I have been making passable coffee flavoured beverages at home with a sunbeam 4800 and a DeLonghi kg100 grinder for about 4 years now. I was always aware that they both had substantial limitations, especially after my weekly bean run to Strictly Coffee (my local pusher) where I would usually stop for a real coffee.
    My grinder started misbehaving a week or two back and one thing lead to another and before long I had bought a near new (6 month old) Mazzer Mini doser, which had done a very small run of decaff at a cafe.
    Now the fun began and the limitations of the Sunbeam REALLY became apparent.
    The upshot of this is that I am now looking at stepping up to a real machine (Yay!).
    I would love to be able to pop down the road to one of the friendly and knowledgeable site sponsors to test drive and purchase a machine, but I live in Dunedin (South Island, NZ).
    Unfortunately, there is not a huge range of machines to see and test drive where I live, and to some degree it is a matter of buying without trying... here is what I have short listed.

ECM Rocket (also known as a Giotto Premium?)
    Isomac Tea
    Isomac Millennium
    VBM Junior lever

Obviously there are some price differences, but I am more interested in quality, reliability and longevity (making the assumption that they all make great coffee). So a few hundred $ at the outset is not too important.

I make a couple of milk based cups first thing in the morning for my partner and I and then one or two short blacks during the day and some more milk based drinks after dinner. I also need to make a few more coffees when we have guests over.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Re: Newbie with limited range available.

Isomac are less powerful, so may take a bit more patience to cater for a group & when warming up.

VBM JR and Rocket are very similar in features, performance, price and size - the differences are in style, and local availability.

VBM do seem to be more popular (through Strictly Coffee and Underground Coffee in ChCh). I wouldnt risk ordering off trademe unless theres a local merchant who can service it & do warranty stuff if necessary.

TC

For mine, build quality lies very strongly in the VBM and Rocket camp, and if you have the funds, theyre worth a look.

Keep in mind that NZ spec. can be different. I have seen spme pretty nasty old VBM out of NZ.

Many sponsors ship to NZ- e.g Di Bartoli...

Chris

i forgot to mention; before you buy, verify that the specs of the model for sale is what youre after. ( ie, a current model, heat exchanger, 1.5L+ boiler, etc)

you have a confusing array of giotto/vbm/e61-rocket/ECM brands, and various spec levels to contend with.

also vbm domobar super junior, junior non-hx, super lever, double boiler, etc...

it gets confusing.

Dont forget the Bezzera as they make a very reliable range of machines

You would be better placed to check for NZ distributors
    KK

Thanks for the feedback so far.
    I did a little more looking around yesterday and looked at some other machines (anyone know anything about Delphi machines or Bezzera?). I think the VBM Super is just too big for my kitchen... it would require a major rethink. One of the CS Aussie suppliers had PMed me an interesting offer, but Im would have to forgo any warrantee and find a local servicer for any future work required.
    If I had to make a decision today it would be the rocket. More homework required.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 41656C6C6F6F5541657967650A0 link=1275253641/4#4 date=1275260281
    Dont forget the Bezzera as they make a very reliable range of machines

You would be better placed to check for NZ distributors
    KK

Correct KK, Bezzera have a New Zealand Distributor now that offer guarantees and warranty locally in NZ.

Delphi espresso machines are sold overseas as quickmill, very good machines, quite often sold locally on NZ trademe as ex-demo or dispay units.The price they go for seems very reasonable, especially if it includes warranty etc.Rockets and Vibiemme definately hold their value as second hand machines better than Isomac, Bezzera etc

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 4C4841424C4E5353270 link=1275253641/7#7 date=1275356358
    Rockets and Vibiemme definately hold their value as second hand machines better than Isomac, Bezzera etc
    Dont dispute at all and in fact agree that the VBM and Rockets hold great resell value when looked after. Have to remember however that Barazi offer the 50% trade in guarantee for machines up to 5 years when upgrading to another Bezzera machine. It helps to ensure minimum value so long as the machine has undergone regular servicing.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7C4C5759564A5B4C6D575A5B3E0 link=1275253641/8#8 date=1275366493
    Dont dispute at all and in fact agree that the VBM and Rockets hold great resell value when looked after. Have to remember however that Barazi offer the 50% trade in guarantee for machines up to 5 years when upgrading to another Bezzera machine. It helps to ensure minimum value so long as the machine has undergone regular servicing.
    Agreed Roger,

Id reckon that any of the biggies VBM, Rocket, Bezzera, Diadema et al would bring an easy 50% or better here if well maintained...

The important thing is to buy reputable and popular and then if the whim to sell arrives, they go quickly ;)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7B4B505E514D5C4B6A505D5C390 link=1275253641/8#8 date=1275366493
    Dont dispute at all and in fact agree that the VBM and Rockets hold great resell value when looked after. Have to remember however that Barazi offer the 50% trade in guarantee for machines up to 5 years when upgrading to another Bezzera machine. It helps to ensure minimum value so long as the machine has undergone regular servicing. *
    I totally agree, I wasnt meaning to knock the quality of either Isomac or Bezzera, my comments were based mainly on the NZ market as thats where the buyer is located.I think the Bezzera seller here in NZ offers the same 50% deal for trade-in. People seem willing to pay crazy high prices here for 2nd hand rockets and VBM, more than id pay.