Thread: Plumbed in machines in rented apartment. How hard to do?

Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Plumbed in machines in rented apartment. How hard to do?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    How hard is to install a plumbed in, small machine?
    I rent, so I cant make make major changed to the kitchen, but could plumber install something that can be removed with any damage?

How many hours work for a Plumber on average? I need to factor that into the cost.

Thanks Tony

A_M

Re: Plumbed in machines in rented apartment. How hard to do?

Plumber is not Plumber

Some charge more than a Surgeon and no Insurance on a Plumber..

1: Some of the filtered water systems have a fitting that fits over the end of ya cold water tap / spout eic....

Can not say how good they might be or NOT..

Have seen some with a T / flick switch / fitting that will allow you run another hose off to another bench mount system.. Could suit a coffee machine..

Would suggest a search of e-bay and other household / kitchen places.. *Some of the water filter places may also be worth a try..

Some of these are DIY and thus big savings and easy to pull down / dismount and take with you *;)

Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Mmm...maybe not the best idea !

i had one in a rented apartment, worked well and left with no damage etc.

1st step is to look under your sink and see if it has braided SS wire flexi pipes, or how you could set it up by getting a splitter in there.

i used all bunnings stuff and was fairly easy and fully removable.

at a miniumum you would need
    3 X 1 meter SS braided hose and brass "joiners"
    1 X 30cm SS braided hose
    1 X T piece
    1 X inline tap
    1 big roll of thread tape.....

cost about $100, but you will need the stuff every where you live so just take it with you..... i am using most of these parts still in my own house....

maybe a couple of brass adaptors...

should have one of these
    1 X filter (you chose what sort i used inline)

might need
    1x pressure reg (i didnt use one i adjusted my pump)

if you need a bit more help just ask

what sort of machine you needing to plumb?
    fully plumbed is great!!!

maheel,
    how did you run your hose from under the sink to the machine?
    I think tony8028s problem is that he cant drill a hole to run the hose up top. *Im also going to be plumbing mine soon once Ive finished the rebuild.

tony8028,
    One option is that if you are intending to stay for a long period in the same rental accom you could try approaching the landlord to ask permission to install a filter (maybe one that can be converted back to a filtered water tap when you leave). *They might even pay for it if your lucky and your a long term tenant. *They can claim it on tax too.

A_M

Hi

Do a search for *the following on that bay off need...

"Bench Top Tap Water Purifier Life Re-Usable Filter "

This was the concept I was talking of.. May or may not be suitable; but my inlays had such a thing and would even take it on hols *with them :-)

Mind you in 10 years, I never knew them to clean the filter *:D ;D *:o

It depends on the sink tap layout and type as to how easy or hard the install will be if you want to mod those. Post a pic if you can of the sink. Depending on the tap/mixer layout a diverter could be easy for you to do yourself.

The other option is drilling holes in the bench or sink, fitting filters, pressure reducing valve etc under the bench and if this your major concern as a renter then why not run it off a small tank? I am planning to setup a 2 group like this at home when the refurb is done as I am only renting. Tank on the floor (depends a little on the pump used in the machine) and 3/8 semi rigid hose to the machine. While this is not ideal for some the tank will be tucked on the far side of an island bench out of the way in my case. Small portable bench on wheels with the coffee gear on is also a good way to go depending on space.

First thing you need regardless is decent filtered water for either option.

Quote Originally Posted by 4B505146070F0D073F0 link=1275301507/0#0 date=1275301507
    How hard is to install a plumbed in, small machine?
    Thanks Tony

Apologies, but the question has already been answered....plumb in / small machine....seek to alter a rented premises....afraid its all a contradiction.

The problem is not so much the water feed line, because you could probably plumb a nice small chrome "cistern cock" into the top of the kitchen bench next to back corner of sink & against the back wall (with permission ofcourse), and when you leave, the cistern cock remains and looks ok (again, subject to permission of owner).

The problem is more with the drain line, unless the owner is also ok with a chrome cover covering the resulting hole in the benchtop.

So much simpler to use a free standing tanked machine OR, place a water tank on the bench behind the plumb in model machine, adjust the pump pressure up to cater for the lack of mains pressure boost, and run it like that.

The only noticeable difference you are likely to note between an impeller pump machine (plumbed in or not), and a tanked machine using vibrating solenoid pump, is less vibration / noise from the machine with the impeller pump.

Whether you can tell any difference in the coffee itself is up to you, so if this is the reason for attempting to plumb, you could be disappointed if you were seeking a significant difference in quality.

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

here is a pic

you can see the braided line running out under the LHS foot of the machine. it just went over the edge of the becnh and into the cupboard. it went under the machine to the pump and back to the water in on the machine (external pump). some 90" joiners would have made it even neater etc.

the door of the cupboard was always open about 10mm to let the hose go in. (so what!! the coffee is / was great!!)

the drain just ran under the machine and into the sink (and still does this in my own home..... (but now my water in runs down behind the stove but still no drilling holes.... and the pump is inside the cupboard)

i use an omnipure inline filter, get them at coffeeparts or elsewhere......

look for other options rather than drilling if renting, run water up near a stove or fridge, you could drill a small hole through the cupboard to pass a water hose to access this sort of route and it would be hidden, jump in off a dishwasher line. waste could just go to a bucket or water filter bottle thing inside a cupboard etc

1st step is stick your head under the sink and have a look, i might go take a photo of my messy under sink area......:)

current setup pics

i would swap to a diff in line tap, one of those 90" on off style as they are easy on and off where mine you have to "turn". when i was in the rental i always turned it off when the machine was off. dotn worry so much now.

looking at the inline tap, the down line goes to coffee machine, RHS goes to water incoming on the wall, LHS goes to cold flick mixer.
    that drain is a Dwasher that i could jump my drain into but would need to drill a hole in bench to make it work.

too easy......

Wow!

Compared to my setup, yours looks like a Boiler Fuel Feed system.... All that pipework and all those connections.... :o

Mal.

I had a laugh i know......

yours looks neat and tidy Mal top work !

but as i am a bit of a gypsy *with housing I never worry to much about it needing to be permanent .......

and its only a flick mixer and extra pipe running off to DW before i added my T not sure what the plumber was thinking.....

i was just looking at the pictures trying to figure out what that black plastic thing is for.... the flick mixer pulls out and extends about 1 meter for washing stuff. its the bit that stops you ripping out the pipe.