Thread: Descaling Bezzera BZ35e?

wan

Descaling Bezzera BZ35e?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Im a long time lurker of this fantastic forum, its been an invaluable resource and has been responsible for me becoming a true coffee snob *:)

Ive grown up on an em6910 which has just gone to collar heaven. Ive ordered a new collar and will be attempting a collar change once the part arrives (big thanks must go to Anger Management for his help and guidance with this)

While waiting for the collar I came across a Bezzera BZ35e-mg which I couldnt say no to. Everything seems to be in a good working order with the exception of layers of coffee gunk in the group head, handles etc. Ive since backflushed with caffetto till all the brown sludge disappered and have soaked and cleaned the shower screen, group handles and filter baskets.

I also want to spend some time giving the machine a thorough clean and descale without having to totally strip the machine down as it seems to be in good working order. I intend to take apart the group and give this a thorough soaking and clean. Ive been searching CS on descaling and am now a little confused as I came across a thread detailing running activated descaler through the machine and other threads saying not to do this as the descaling solution can corrode o-rings and rubber gaskets etc.

What is the best method to descale this machine? Do i simply prepare some descaling solution and pump it throught the system or will i need to semi-strip down the machine and individually descale each item?

Thanks

A_M

Re: Descaling Bezzera BZ35e?

Just a suggestion.

Do not strip / rebuild... CosmoreX Coffee has said before and I fully agree. *Why cause problems.

1: *I would run a descaler through the boiler / system as per a standard Service process..

2: *RIGHT product.. You want dissolved scale ... Not flaky scale.. Flakes will catch and jam other things up.

3: *Fill the boiler with clean water and flush the system.. Weaker solution will be still in parts of the system..

4: *Drain boiler via the drain plug. * Fill and drain... Fill and then flush the whole system again

5: *I would pull the head apart afterwards and check the o-rings and restrictor etc

6: *New group seals

7: *Buff and polish outer skin..

Run some bedding in shots.. *Run the steam wands again.... and make sure no chemical smells etc..

Have a coffee... *Or two... *

Keep EM6910 for AM for parts *;)

Enjoy the BZ35 as it will last for years and easy to maintain..

Then when it fails... Step up a a Silvia or Brevile * ;D

Donate BZ35 to Mum2three *;)

wan

Thanks AM,

thats great news, I was thinking I would need to semi-strip the machine. Great way for me to learn but also a bit reluctant to fix something thats not broken and potentially break something thats not broken :)

Could you direct me to the RIGHT product? I intend to stop by one of the site sponsors over the weekend to hopefully get all the bits and pieces i need in order to complete a standard service.

Cheers

HI wan

are you a Sydney sider ? saw one go for nice price last night

Are you sure it needs a boiler de-scale ?
    Try giving the HX system a good clean first

The BZ 35 is a great machine and will give you great service for many years

KK

wan

Hi Maheel,

Im a Sydney Sider. I picked it up on Tuesday so someone else must have scored last night :)

KK, not sure if the boiler needs a descale but the machine is over 6yrs old and going by the amount of gunk around the group I wanted to be proactive and give the machine as much of a clean as i could without having to strip it apart.

I just spoke to Renzo from Di Bartoli and will be stopping by there on Saturday for a quick service lesson and to purchase all the bibs and bobs needed to complete the service.

Cheers

If you know that the machine has been used with filtered water then there is a good chance the boiler will be OK

KK

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 67717E100 link=1276132432/5#5 date=1276139381
    Hi Maheel,

Im a Sydney Sider. I picked it up on Tuesday so someone else must have scored last night :)

KK, not sure if the boiler needs a descale but the machine is over 6yrs old and going by the amount of gunk around the group I wanted to be proactive and give the machine as much of a clean as i could without having to strip it apart.

I just spoke to Renzo from Di Bartoli and will be stopping by there on Saturday for a quick service lesson and to purchase all the bibs and bobs needed to complete the service.

Cheers
    Good one Wan..

Am sure they will assist..

If ya undo teh drain screw on the boiler and ya have to stick something up to get teh water to come out.. Ya need a descal of teh boiler.. Without knowing where and what water... Always interesting..

Di Bartoli will look after ya..

Just do not get caught up in their coffee tasting... You will never leave...

Brisbane needs more of these places..

I can really only suggest One Metro supplier; when it comes to Equipment problems.. Opps ... Another topic I think.

wan

Hi Guys,

thought Id report back for those interested.

I stopped by Di Bartolis and spoke to Renzo over the weekend (what a fantastic shop, I highly recommend this coffee mecca for anyone needing anything coffee related, whether it be a coffee related product or just advice).

So Renzo recommended that I do the following as a basic service seeing as the machine is currently working fine:

Steam/water tap ( change tap seals or re-grease) - my taps are in good order so i decided to leave these.
    Group head seal
    Level probe regulator
    Clean restrictor from the fill solenoid
    Clean restrictor from the group solenoid

So after a purchase of a new group head seal and some triple action descaling solution (http://www.dibartoli.com.au/product_details.asp?pid=110) I headed home to complete the service.

So the first thing I did was to descale the entire machine by flushing it with the triple action descaling solution. I spent about an hour running about 4L of solution throught the entire system (steam wand, group head and hot water wand). Then emptied out the boiler and ran approximately 10L of fresh water through (till I couldnt smell/taste any chemicals).

The group seal was quite difficult to get out, i finally figured out that you need to carefully wedge a small flat head screw driver between the OUTSIDE edge of the rubber seal and the group head and firmly but carefully lever the seal out. The easier alternative is to demolish the old seal by screwing 2 small screws in leaving enough space for pliers to grab a screw and again firmly but gently wiggle out the seal (havent tried this but saw this trick on google). After cleaning out the group head I lightly coated the new seal in some rice bran oil to help with the insertion (thanks AM for the tip).
    Cleaned group head without the seal:

Next on my list were the Level Probe regulators. 2 probes located at the top of the boiler with 2 electrical connections attached. Its a good idea to get a permanent marker and label each of the electrical connections and the matching probes before dismantling so you dont re-install them backwards :)

So after pulling out the plug from the powerpoint and pressing the power button to doubly make sure everything was disconnected (can never be 2 careful, what if i removed the wrong plug *:o) I carefully unhooked the electrical connections (some of the old brittle plastic shielding still cracked but not too much) and unscrewed the 2 bolts holding in the probes. You need to give the probes a little wiggle to get them out as they have plastic collars that tend to grip them. The probes were very clean with absolutely no build up of scale on them, just in case though i gave them a rub with one of those green pot cleaners, wiped them down and reinstalled everything.

Next was the restrictors which i didnt end up doing :o reason being that everything was looking pretty clean at this stage. I had disconnected the copper pipe from the group head solenoid to the group head and it was looking pretty clean. I guess I didnt want to tempt fate and break something that wasnt broke *:-?

So after putting back the few bits that Id taken off and after a qik check i plugged the machine back in and ran some shots threw at the same time ensuring nothing was leaking. Everything seemed to be good so I scrubbed clean all the external bibs and bobs and reassembled the body, then spent the rest of the afternoon having too many coffees to the point where I was feeling a little queasy *:-[

Machine is steaming like a trooper and espressos just keep getting better as I get more familiar with the machine.

Thanks guys for all suggestions and tips, especially Renzo from Di Bartoli.

Cheers,
    wan

A_M

Well done and congrats..

Go have another coffee *;D ;)

Freah Coffee said it... I have as well on occasions... If all is working and looks basicly looked after... A clean and a polish is all that is needed... If filthy and a tank full of crud... Then you might as well do the lot...

Renzo must be doing something wrong... *Your about the 3 person to pay him and Di Bartoli a complement... That just has to stop.... ;D :D ;) ;) :o

As *another CSér found out up here... Go to a Coffee service place and ask for a part other than a group seal... Your likely to get abused...

Well. fo me any supplier whose machine has warranty provided by a so called service centre in Bishop street Herston... Will miss out... Yep the same people that tried to hand back a faulty and dangerous boiler to another well knows CS member......

As for Renzo and Di Bartoli ... Their openness to assist and provide parts /advice when and where possible as well as their great communications... Be it a PM / E-mail or on the spot video - posted up and onto u-tube; is out standing ...

You guys down south... Just dont know how lucky you are...

Thanks heaps for posting this wan, I have been trying to decide if I should fix up a 2nd hand BZ35e that came into my hands or just let it go. After reading your post, I think Ill start there and see how I go.

Cheers,

wan

Congratulations on deciding to keep it, Ive found the BZ35 to be a great machine. Just take ur time and you should be fine. Your certainly in the right place as the people in this community are so helpful and supportive. You should also update your profile to display your location.

Site Sponsor

Not worries Wan happy to help.

If any one the diagrams of this machines I got it in pdf.

Regards

Renzo