Thread: My New VBM Junior :) ....

JJJ

My New VBM Junior :) ....

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Im now the proud owner of a Domobar Jnr. thanks to Chris at Talk Coffee.
    Chris expertise, passion and guidance was invaluable, in every facet from machine preparation right through to ones palate and how best to taste the coffee.
    He made it a wonderful experience for myself and my better half and i cannot recommend Chris highly enough.

Weve had some great fun with the machine already.
    It only took me three shots to get a lovely, timely and quality pour going, im already getting lovely balanced crema and divine espresso that i can, basically for the first time, taste the flavour nuances in.
    Ive still got so much to improve upon in regard to extraction and even developing my palate so its incredibly exciting.

The strength and speed of the steam wand is taking time to master.
    On my old crappy unit itd literally take two minutes to texture milk so its quite a culture shock to go to a machine that takes 15 seconds and does it with such ferocity.
    I managed to get quite decent milk on my fourth or fifth attempt, which i think is a solid effort considering im still getting comfortable with the left sided wand, the knob, the power, the speed and the unique style of wand.

Im still getting used to both the force required to get the group handle into the group head as on my old machine it just slid into place without any real effort, and also the sheer heat that comes off both the group head and the wand, even when touching the rubber protective bit.
    Ive suffered three or four little burns already, be it from accidentally touching the group head or holding onto the rubber bit on the wand a little much but as i get more used to it and more confident i should be able to avoid such things.
    Hopefully i also develop a higher threshold for heat (or asbestos hands as many experts like Chris, and no doubt many CSers possess), that or i just need to move the wand around with a microfibre cloth.

When one makes a massive leap in quality of machine there is often some doubt over whether you have the skills to match this daunting machine and whilst ive still got a lot to learn, both about the machine and the craft, im incredibly happy with how well ive done in such a short period of time and look forward to growing with my machine. *:)

A_M

Re: My New VBM Junior :) ....

Quote Originally Posted by 535353190 link=1276556676/25#25 date=1277002951
    Im still getting used to both the force required to get the group handle into the group head as on my old machine it just slid into place without any real effort
    Please tell us more ?

Is this to get the lugs in or to then lock it into place ??

JJJ

Quote Originally Posted by 123D3436211E323D3234363E363D27530 link=1276556676/26#26 date=1277005952
    Please tell us more ?

Is this to get the lugs in or to then lock it into place ??
    Locking it in place.
    It sits in easily and slides across easily at first but then requires quite a deal of strength (at least compared to my other machine, which slid across without effort) to get it right across to the appropriate position.

Ive looked at some videos of the Domobar Jnr. since, specifically looking at the group handle being locked in, and it does seem that some force is required so perhaps its just another culture shock that comes with such an upgrade.

TC

Hi Ristrom and thanks for your very kind words...

Can I suggest that you try loading your group handle when empty?

On a new machine, the handle may not quite reach the 6 oclock position. This is ok as it will wear in with time...

If you are having trouble loading the filled group handle, its most probably a combination of too coarse a grind coupled with a dose which is too large. We talked about consistency yesterday. Try (consistently) modifying your technique to allow for a slightly lower dos and adjust grind accordingly to compensate...

Cheers

Chris

JJJ

Quote Originally Posted by 54616C6B5F436F66666565000 link=1276556676/28#28 date=1277007358
    Can I suggest that you try loading your group handle when empty?

On a new machine, the handle may not quite reach the 6 oclock position. This is ok as it will wear in with time...
    Thanks, Chris.
    When empty the handle slides in without any effort at all.

Ive been taking it to 6 just because it made aligning my cups easier, i guess, but ill ease back a little, perhaps stopping at about 7 oclock until it wears in and becomes smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by 54616C6B5F436F66666565000 link=1276556676/28#28 date=1277007358
    If you are having trouble loading the filled group handle, its most probably a combination of too coarse a grind coupled with a dose which is too large. We talked about consistency yesterday. Try (consistently) modifying your technique to allow for a slightly lower dos and adjust grind accordingly to compensate...
    Im not having trouble as such, its more that it requires quite a deal of strength to get in right to the 6 oclock spot.

The resistance isnt any less when the basket is empty so im guessing that rather than it being an overdose problem, its merely a combination of me not being used to the strength required and the newness of the machine.
    Im sure itll slide across to 6 more smoothly with more use.

As i said in my earlier post, im already getting excellent shots out of it.
    The pour is lovely, the timing and quantity is about right, its hitting close to the middle of my tongue and ive even already managed to stop the better half reaching for the sugar (even when having her usual soy milk), which is a triumph in itself. ;D

TC

Hi Ristrom,

If youre in the vicinity, pop back in with it...

There is a possibility that VBM could have assembled your machine with an oversized group seal. It should be 8mm, but there are also 8.5 and 9mm and 0.5mm makes a significant difference.

Lets check it against the demo machine and we can replace the group seal if required.

Chris

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5065686F5B476B62626161040 link=1276556676/30#30 date=1277015684
    Hi Ristrom,

If youre in the vicinity, pop back in with it...

There is a possibility that VBM could have assembled your machine with an oversized group seal. It should be 8mm, but there are also 8.5 and 9mm and 0.5mm makes a significant difference.

Lets check it against the demo machine and we can replace the group seal if required.

Chris
    Ristrom.. A good offer... Take it up...

Many forget that commercials have group spacers as well as different size group seals.. (Wish Sunbeam did :D)

What is funny is when ya replace the seals in a two group machine and it does not turn out the way you expect.. Oops need a 8 in one side and a 9 in the other.. Guess which side get teh most use ;)

JJJ

Thanks guys.

Ive appreciate the generous offer Chris but have no idea about any of this stuff and as you know, were so far away from you and can only get in on weekends so im not really sure whats best to do.

On face value it isnt a huge issue to me and doesnt seem to be affecting my coffee, but my knowledge of these machines and the issues that surround a potentially oversized group seal is virtually zero, well absolutely zero, actually.

Im hoping itll start sliding in more smoothly the more its used (its only had 6-7 shots through it), but if you experts believe its necessary to bring it back in well work something out.

BTW Chris, now that i remember, i actually took the group head out of one of your bench machines yesterday and upon replacing it noticed resistance after a certain point at which time you came over and slid it in easily.
    Im not sure if it was your Domobar Jnr. or the one to the right of your grinder, but it was definitely the same feeling i get from my machine so perhaps it is just me.

yep, im having fun with the powerful steam also.
    I fill a small jug with just enough for a small cup and have managed some good milk.
    But sometimes while the swirling is happening up both sides of the inside of the jug, the tip gets exposed for a second letting in huge air and its all wreckd..

JJJ

The group handle is sliding in much more smoothly now, which is a relief.

Quote Originally Posted by 170C0D0606630 link=1277002952/8#8 date=1277117183
    But sometimes while the swirling is happening up both sides of the inside of the jug, the tip gets exposed for a second letting in huge air and its all wreckd..
    Yeah, im having the same issues.
    I get a good start but it tends to get away from me and i either get a squealing mass or way too much air.
    No doubt itll come together as i get more used to the speed and strength of the wand and the two hole tip, just need to be patient.

Hi Ristrom,

Dont know if this will add any value, as you might already be doing this. When using your Bogav Assassin Tamper, I find that on the Junior, when you tamp, the tamper is level with your basket - if any bit of the straight side of the tamper head is exposed at the end of your tamp, you are overfilling your basket. Just a general rule I use for myself.

Gavin.

JJJ

Thanks for the tip, Gavin, ill make sure to look for that tomorrow and use it as a guide from here on in.

You should be very proud of your tampers, Gavin.
    The Assassin is a sexy beast and the minute i gripped it i knew it was an absolute cracker and a perfect fit for my hand.

Cheers, Ristrom! ;D Glad u r enjoying it! ;) Hopefully the little pointer helps!

Enjoy ur VBM too - its a beautiful machine, especially leaving Chris hands, u can b sure its running the way it should.

Gavin.