Thread: Isomac Mondiale Water Tank Level Sensor Stuck

djk

Isomac Mondiale Water Tank Level Sensor Stuck

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

First post, I wonder if anyone can help...

I have an Isomac Mondiale, which uses a spring-based water sensor under the tank - when it is empty the tank rises up and switches the machine off.

My problem is that the tank appears to be precisely the wrong height, because as it rises when the water level drops to about half full the top of it gets caught on a little lip under the piano hinge of the lid above. *So it never turns off when it ought. *If the tank was 5mm lower or 5mm higher the problem wouldnt happen.

Has anyone else had this problem? *Is mine the only machine with this lip, or is my tank a "unique" height?

Thanks in advance,
    DJK

Re: Isomac Mondiale Water Tank Level Sensor Stuck

gday DJK
    mines the same. *one service agent over here that I spoke to suggested that its a design flaw. *Ive only had it cause a problem once. *My o-rings needs replacing in the steam and hot water valves. *The hot water wand leaked and drained the boiler last week after it switched off and the pressure dropped. *The next morning it came on via timer (I wasnt home) and it drained the tank empty while refilling the boiler and didnt automatically turn off because the tank was jammed under the hinge. *I assume it was pumping dry until the timer turned if off again but I dont know since I wasnt here. *Machine still works fine thankfully. *I probably shouldnt have left it coming on by timer when I knew I was going to be away the next morning, but turning off the coffee machine timer isnt something that crosses your mind when youre rushing your wife to hospital to have a baby. *It would be nice if the tank level sensor had turned the machine off...
    Only solution I can think of is to stick something in the back behind the tank to stop it leaning back below the hinge, or trim the top of the tank like you suggest....

Geoff

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0925253A2F387C73194A0 link=1277048259/1#1 date=1278490421
    Machine still works fine thankfully. *I probably shouldnt have left it coming on by timer when I knew I was going to be away the next morning, but turning off the coffee machine timer isnt something that crosses your mind when youre rushing your wife to hospital to have a baby.
    How inconsiderate of her :o :o :o :o

Trust teh Baby and Coffee machine are all 100% OK ;)

djk

@Cooper69S
    Congrats on the new baby.

I too suspect a design flaw - or a difference between prototype and production (Im an engineer and have fallen victim to the penny-pinchers in production myself *:) ). *The prototype plastic tanks were probably good quality plastic and all square, which means the sticky pad in the middle was probably the best place. *But when it came to production a cheap crappy food grade plastic was substituted instead, which is not at all square, the edges being warped like a convex lens, which causes the outer corners catch on the lip.

I believe I have somewhat alleviated the problem now, by peeling off the sticky pad, cutting it into quarters, stacking 2 of the quarters on top of each other then re-sticking the resultant thicker pads onto each of the outer edges of the metal plate. *This ensures the corners are kept away from the lip and so the tank doesnt get stuck any more.

A metal or teflon guide instead of the pads would be better in the long run to prevent the lip interference.

My supplier was understanding but not particularly helpful when it came to fixing this machine, which was less than a week old when I brought the problem to their attention...

DJK

PS Incidentally, I too have bought a timer so the machines nice and hot at breakfast time, and was very concerned about the very problem you have experienced. *So its good to have "fixed" it for now.

Interesting discussion. Ive never had any problem with ours. But maybe the design is a bit different now, as I cant see anything like the "sticky pad" mentioned above.

What I have is a vertical section immediately below the hinge: when the tank is full, the lip is just at the bottom of this section. See first picture below.

When empty, its about a third of the way up this section, as in the second picture.

Even wobbling it around a lot I cant make it stick.

Is this what you have?

djk

Yes, thats the same as mine. *When empty, my tank also comes about 1/3 of the way up the vertical section. *Thats not the problem.

The problem is when its full, the tank goes down on the sprung-loaded base to just below the lip, where it gets caught and holds the level sensor in its full position and as the tank empties it doesnt get unstuck, so can empty completely without the sensor being activated.

The big pad in the middle (as manufactured) is supposed to hold the tank out away from the lip to stop it happening, but because the tank is warped and bowed in in the middle, the pad does not make contact with the tank and thus cannot have its intended effect.

I have attached some pics of my own to show the situation better.

Cheers,
    DJK

After reading through the posts above & looking at the warped water tank images that, in my eyes, highlight the fact that the manufacturer has used a sub-standard component (water tank) that is not "fit for purpose". Also the fact that more than one owner has posted that their machine exhibits the same fault leads me to believe that it is not just one single isolated incident but more likely a design fault that affects all of Isomac Mondiale machines of that vintage. *

The use of this component as written about above by some end users is actually quite dangerous as it is preventing the low water level safety switch from functioning correctly. In some extreme situations, such as using the machine unattended on a timer, it could potentially cause a disaster.

If I was the owner of such a machine, regardless of whether it was still in warrenty or not, I would pursue the manufacturer via the retailer to rectify the fault at their expense as the machines are obviously not "fit for purpose" in their current state.

Most good retailers will happily pursue an issue such as this on your behalf, some dodgy retailers will try to fob you off, especially if it is out of warrenty, stating that you will have to contact the manufacturer direct but that is not actually true.

Prior to contacting the retailer I would suggest that you make yourself familiar with Australian Consumer Laws, armed with just a little bit of knowledge about your individual rights goes along way in achieving a successful outcome in incidences such as this.

Good Luck.
    Nigel

Me...Id be sticking a bent bit of tin in somewhere to either push the tank clear, or steer it clear as it rises. YMMV.

Greg

Just for the record, a couple of photos below from roughly the same angle as DJKs, for comparison.
    The pad is there, I couldnt see it in the dark the other day :(

The tank in mine has kept its shape well enough to still function.

It looks to me as if DJKs tank is bigger. Maybe that has contributed to its greater distortion?

Legin makes a good point. Ive had a couple of items replaced out of warranty under the implied warranty of our consumer laws. The Consumer Affairs office has been very helpful.

Im having mine delivered on Monday so will take some photos and check it out as well .. thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by 42454448475854310 link=1277048259/9#9 date=1280563533
    Im having mine delivered on Monday so will take some photos and check it out as well .. thanks for the heads up!
    off topic here, but just thought Id mention in case you werent aware... The Isomac machines have only recently started shipping with thermosyphon restrictors installed. Youd want to check that you have one of the new models as it could make a fair difference to your experience. If youve got cool touch steam wands then that will be the new one. If not the supplier should/can install the restrictor for you - costs next to nothing to do.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by 654949564354101F75260 link=1277048259/10#10 date=1280722277
    If youve got cool touch steam wands
    Thanks yes I got the one with cooltouch. *Interesting that they are not shipping the solid stainless portafilters with the cooltouch model just in case someone was going to buy.

Had a look and there is still a lip in there, but hasnt been an issue so far, have run the tank dry 5-6 times and has shut off fine as it hasnt gone below the lip before it shut off. *Will keep you all posted.

Attached a pic of my setup for those interested ...

Have attached two pics of the tank. There are no pads, but the tank (second photo) trips the power off about 2-3 mm below the lip (lifted it up until it clicked). Maybe they fixed it, or yours was tripping too late? Could be the springs compress over time - not sure?

djk

yes, looks like yours might be deliberately adjusted lower, or maybe mine is just accidentally made higher. Ill have to investigate further when I pull it apart one day...