Thread: Giotto Premium Plus - Small amount of water on top of puck

Giotto Premium Plus - Small amount of water on top of puck

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Everyone

Ive had my Giotto for a week and a half and Im managing to pull some nice shots and beginning to master the steaming (a little different from the Silvia it replaced). Apart from the enjoying the espresso its a stunning looking piece of metal.

I do have a question though: - following the pulling of a shot, I find that a small amount on water sits on top of the puck. This is 2-3 minutes after the extraction. The puck itself can be reasonably firm. Once the portafilter is removed, the water drains down into the puck.

Ive experimented with different dosages and different tamping but the small amount of water remains.

This wasnt something that happened with my Silvia (and I suppose I thought the 3 way solenoid valve on the Giotto would also suck up that excess once the extraction was stopped).

Is it something I should be concerned about or is this normal on the Giotto?

Look forward to any advice.

Regards - Bike Beans

Re: Giotto Premium Plus - Small amount of water on top of puck

BeanBay
    Congrats on a great purchase.
    I experienced the puddle of water from time to time. *It doesnt do it now. *I think it had a lot to do with the level and fineness of the grind and the pressure of the tamping. (IMO A three way valve will not suck anything out - It releases pressure. If it did suck would really choke the valve with grinds.)
    You dont say what grinder you are using - it is part of the equation as is the timing of *the shot.
    I agree they are a fabulous looking machine and I am very happy with mine which also replaced a Silvia.

If you are getting good shots I dont think the water bit is anything to worry about
    D

Ditto to what dumiya said. I still get it from time to time, especially if the grind is too fine or Ive underdosed.

If your shots are tasting good then dont worry about it . Youve had the machine less than 2 weeks and it sounds like youre making good progress.

2 - 3 minutes seems a long time to leave your grouphandle in the head for. I usually remove it within a minute of the shot being poured. Thats not to prevent water build-up, just what I thought is good practice.

Thanks Dumiva. No doubt my dosing and tamping continues to be a work in progress. And "suck" may have been a poor choice of word! Blame my non-technical background.

Im using a Rocky grinder and eventually I will look to upgrade.

Cheers - BeanBay

Quote Originally Posted by 33342F27203235410 link=1277164635/4#4 date=1277170642
    Try a courser grind. *
    Will do runfast. Thanks

BeanBay

Quote Originally Posted by 6F6D7A7A697A6C1F0 link=1277164635/4#4 date=1277171314
    Try a courser grind.
    Will do runfast. Thanks

BeanBay
    hi BeanBay. id also think about whether this is really an issue anyway? changing the grind may affect how you perceive the taste to be. prob worth your while to play around with dose and grind to find what seems to taste best. at the same time, Im sure a bit of puckology never hurt anyone... :)

Quote Originally Posted by 24393D383333560 link=1277164635/5#5 date=1277171965
    a bit of puckology never hurt anyone... Smiley
    roknee

In trying to explore this online before posting I do recall a quote that went something like "....thats why puckology rhymes with astrology!".

Your comments are duly noted! :)

BeanBay

BeanBay
    I used a rocky until I migrated.
    One thing to watch: * I often find the water channels down the side of the filter between the grinds and the wall. *I hear it comes about with heavy tamping or not breaking up the clumps in the grinds or not having an even level of grinds . *This will give a pale colour or streaky colour going early into the cup and adds a bitter/sour taste. *My Giotto is much more sensitive to grinds than was the Silvia. Dont be afraid to prepare the grinds well break up the clumps with a skewer *even add a few more grinds around the edge. *I still have to work on this as I am looking for a very sweet espresso. *

The grinder prepares the food the espresso just cooks it - well - a bit of an exaggeration (!!) but I wish someone had said that to me a long time ago! *I would have been much kinder to myself!

D

Thanks for the further advice dumiya. Some interesting observations. Im on a steep learning curve!

BeanBay

Hey Beans, no need to worry about the moist puck. It doesnt translate to anything negative in the cup.

Nixter - Ive played around with quite a few things over the last week and in the end youre right! Its whats in the cup thats the key. Thanks - BeanBay

Guys any recommendations on where to go to get a rocket giotto PP serviced in melbourne? ta ...