Thread: Water Tank probe

Water Tank probe

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have noticed with my ECM giotto premium, that i need to clean the probe for the freshwater tank more often.

For the first 4 years i never had to bother with it. Over the last 2 years ive been cleaning it at least once every 6 months or so. Sometimes even sooner.
    Basically its the same routine. Go to pull a shot, starts pumping, then stops withing a couple of seconds. Lift water tank and re sit it, starts again for a little then stops again.
    Pull it apart clean it all and all is good for a few months.
    The all over again

So, do i just replace it or is there something else i need to be looking at?

I clean it by rubbing it on a bit of sand paper. I do the same with the probe and the part that sits on the bottom of the water tank.

TC

Re: Water Tank probe

Quote Originally Posted by 042126200F4E0 link=1277789942/0#0 date=1277789942
    I have noticed with my ECM giotto premium, that i need to clean the probe for the freshwater tank more often.

For the first 4 years i never had to bother with it. Over the last 2 years ive been cleaning it at least once every 6 months or so. Sometimes even sooner.
    Basically its the same routine. Go to pull a shot, starts pumping, then stops withing a couple of seconds. Lift water tank and re sit it, starts again for a little then stops again.
    Pull it apart clean it all and all is good for a few months.
    The all over again

So, do i just replace it or is there something else i need to be looking at?

I clean it by rubbing it on a bit of sand paper. I do the same with the probe and the part that sits on the bottom of the water tank.
    I doubt its the probe John (even though its a good thing to clean it),

More likely, your water is low in dissolved solids (filtration?) and conducts a charge poorly. The mahcine thinks its run out of water and reacts accordingly...

I find that descaler does a pretty nice job of a probe when I do a Giotto descale ;)

Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris

the machine gets descaled once a year, backflushed with water every day and with chemical once a week or fortnight depending on how many coffees i make.

Water i use a britta jug, 1 pass through only and put fresh water in the tank every second day.

Still the probe get black and mucky very quickly.

As mentioned, once cleaned, its fine for a few months but then does it again. I figure if its a water (filtering problem) it may have done it even more often. I could be wrong of course.

Never use to be this bad before.

Should i try just using tap water instead

TC

No worries John,

The more I see the effects of brita jugs on espresso machines, the less I think that they actually do anything useful at all...

I have seen a heap of machines with tank couplings fill of black gunk (carbon) and one boiler where it was about 1cm deep in the bottom.

I think that coffee specific filtration using good filters is the way to go.

Chris

Thanks again Chris

will look into a proper filtration system then and see if that changes things

Any recommendations?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 5C797E7857160 link=1277789942/4#4 date=1277869551
    Thanks again Chris

will look into a proper filtration system then and see if that changes things

Any recommendations?
    Hi John,

Try http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1245022813

I have just spliced a a Bombore Scale stopper filter into the line running to my cold tap....Everything which comes out of the tap is ready to roll and it tastes great too ;)

We have a few in stock...

Chris