Thread: gaggia classic- time to upgrade ($2000)

gaggia classic- time to upgrade ($2000)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

well after 5 years faithful service from my Gaggia Classic its time to get serious about coffeee and step up to a better machine.

But which one?????

Looking for a solid machine with dual boilers so I can do the steam and shot on the other. Brass heads and boiler a msut unlike the classic and its boiler corrosion. Typically 6 cups a day but would like the machine to cope when friends and family pop over.

Want something to last, have support in parts and easiy to use as I need the missus to make a coffee for me from time to time :)

Any suggestions appreciated

regards

Aaron

Re: gaggia classic- time to upgrade ($2000)

Aaron

If your budget is $2k you will struggle to get a dual boiler for that price...maybe you should consider a heat exchange machine....or there is a new Gee machine which is a single boiler with a thermoblock for steam.

In short, have a wander through the website and its threads - theres gold in them thar threads! ;D

Of course, the best option is to visit a CoffeeSnobs sponsor and check out the bling - you wont know what you really want until you try something in the flesh.

Cheers

Sniff

Gday Aaron and welcome to CS.
    Why do you specifically want a dual boiler machine?
    A heat exchanger (HX) machine will give you the ability to pull a shot and steam milk at the same time.

What sort of grinder do you have at the moment? You may have to factor in a few extra $$$ if your grinder isnt up to scratch.

Have a look over at the left hand side of the page and find a sponsor that is near to you. Go and see them or give them a ring and discuss your needs, you wont be disappointed.

All the best, and welcome again.
    Steve.

Thanks Sniff for the info.

Hi Steve, due to my little knowledge in what is good or better, pro and cons of both prob made me think a duel was what is required.

Have read a few post etc and does thermo block require a cooling flush?

Daunting for an amature who enjoys a brew :D

Aaron

Go and visit a sponsor, its the best way to get your head around the various different parts.

Thermoblocks generally only occur in the cheaper brands youd find at a department store. *They essentially heat water as its pumped through them, a bit like a instant gas hot water heater.

In the cheapies the thermoblock will first heat the water for the brew and then start heating the water for steam. *If you were to make several brews back to back I dont think a thermoblock will need a cooling flush because as soon as you stop the brew the thermoblock starts cooling down.

If your budget is $2k, and noting what Steve said about needing a good grinder too, and you want to be able to steam milk whilst brewing or very shortly afterwards, then a heat exchange (HX) system is probably best. *It will only need a cooling flush if its been sitting idle for a while, and that will also depend on the brand and how well its been set up by the person selling it to you.

In your budget, the GEE espresso machine is the only one with a thermoblock and it is only for steaming, as the GEE has a boiler for the brew. *

Youll see that Talk Coffee have a pretty impressive package for the GEE with a Compak grinder and tamper etc which is well within your budget range.

The GEE is not a dual boiler or a HX machine though. *Its a bit of a new idea - a boiler for the brew combined with the thermoblock for steaming.

As I said earlier, most HX machine brands start around the $2000 mark, although the cheapest I think is the Oscar Simonelli which starts somewhere around $1400?

So, have a look around for more explanations of the various parts.

AND - e-mail, ring or visit a sponsor near you - youll find theyll be able to help you.

All my experiences with sponsors have been positive - youll find theyre all passionate about making good coffee.

Cheers

Sniff

Banned

Hi happygilmour (great movie),

Like said above, best thing to do would be email the site sponsors, and if possible, have a look in one of their shops to see what sort of machines are available for your budget.

We have a HX machine thats in your range, the La Nuova Era Cuadra. Has a copper boiler, E61 grouphead, and is available in several colors (in case the missus wants it to go with the rest of the kitchen ;) )

As a coffee snobs member, you will get a 10% discount, as described in our sponsor thread.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions bob@espressoitalia.com.au