Thread: Entry level HX machine recommendations and prices?

tsk

Entry level HX machine recommendations and prices?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All, Im reposting my post here as I have been advised that the information Im after is more likely to be found in this section...

Im wondering if there are any recommendations to entry level HX machines and prices. Ive been told the Expobar is approx $1600 - are there others in this price range or what would I expect to be the next one up (for cost)?

Thanks,
    Tracy

Re: Entry level HX machine recommendations and prices?

Tracy, the Nuova Oscar would be worth a look. It is different as it has a coloured plastic housing and cant be used with a timer. $s low teens, a couple of our sponsors sell them.

Steve. :)

tsk

Thanks Steve - someone had actually suggested the Oscar but they did mention that you couldnt put a timer on it, which would be a problem for us as I cant last 10 mins after waking up without a cuppa...
    Done a bit of looking, and it looks like the next ones up are the Isomac Tea II...also had a look in the $2.5K range, I can just feel the wallet stretching.....

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 161109620 link=1281423210/2#2 date=1281436849
    Thanks Steve - someone had actually suggested the Oscar but they did mention that you couldnt put a timer on it, which would be a problem for us as I cant last 10 mins after waking up without a cuppa...
    Done a bit of looking, and it looks like the next ones up are the Isomac Tea II...also had a look in the $2.5K range, I can just feel the wallet stretching.....
    Have a bit of a read...

One should look at getting a few parts and offering a kit..

Got to be cheaper than breaking the stitching in ones wallet...

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/putting-nuova-simonelli-oscar-on-timer-and-loud-pop-noise-at-turn-on-t6271.html#p75701

So one needs

A: *Vacuum Breaker ($11.75) (Need this any way)
    B: *1/4 Pipe thread brass T ($4.49) *&
    C: *1/4 Pipe thread brass hex nipple ($1.59).

Why so hard * :-?

Does the Expobar office have the same issue?

I am tossing around a few machines in the $1500 bracket at present as well... be interested in sharing thoughts....

tsk

AM - not so hard, now that youve pointed me in the direction as to what has to be done...
    How does the Oscar compare with the likes of the Isomac Tea II and the VBM Jnr? Figure if were going to buy one machine to last a while, it might as well be $ well spent...

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 797E660D0 link=1281423210/5#5 date=1281439796
    AM - not so hard, now that youve pointed me in the direction as to what has to be done...

How does the Oscar compare with the likes of the Isomac Tea II and the VBM Jnr?

Figure if were going to buy one machine to last a while, it might as well be $ well spent...
    At the risk of being shot down ...... They all make a good coffee :o

It comes down to what you expect and if your needs / wants - will out grow the machine..

My Miss BFC was great... I moved to a DCM - Both can make great coffee if given teh right raw product...

Ya teh DCM has some great features... But think about it.... Once I found teh ideal temp for teh group... Do I change it - HELLS NO :D If I had to go back... Miss BFC would be on teh short list...

BOT: One has a plastic skin - So... Some do not like / some dont care and some think the colour schemes are great. Some dislike SS and think it is hard to keep shiny. It takes all sorts.

A: Fit for Purpose and ONLY you can decide.

B: Do a search on Fresh Coffee and look at some of his posts over teh last 3 months... Very open and gets you to question what you THINK you know or WANT ???

C: Go and get some hands ON... Be a nuisance and go and do more than kick tyres ;)

Any thing else is just that; some one elses words, your going to own it so stand up and be counted... That is what is great about coffee... Its not easy ;D

Enjoy, it will be worth it ................................... One day 8-)

tsk

Excellent tips AM - cheers
    Have contacted Roger @ Supreme Roasters - I think theyre the closest sponsor to where we are and hes got a few machines on the bench so itll be good. Well do a bit more than tyre-kicking and see what we find.....or come home with :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 31362E450 link=1281423210/7#7 date=1281526790
    Excellent tips AM - cheers
    Have contacted Roger @ Supreme Roasters - I think theyre the closest sponsor to where we are and hes got a few machines on the bench so itll be good. Well do a bit more than tyre-kicking and see what we find.....or come home with *:)
    Ya be careful... *Ya will end up with the shakes after a visit to that place..

PS. Take note of how clean and spotless the grinder is... A true artisan * ;) :D ;D 8-) ::) * *:P

Roger will look after you *8-)

If ya in Brisbane... Then Di Bella is worth dropping into as he has a few on teh shelves these days; but the range appears to be a bit smaller than once ??

Also Barazi Bezzera Coffee Machines as they are on teh south side and you may be coming past them...

I guess I am saying... There are a couple of places that have a couple of machines on hand...

However; for many reasons Supreme Roasters may well have a larger range and you may be able to try any number of these on site...

Site Sponsor

Ya be careful... *Ya will end up with the shakes after a visit to that place..

PS. Take note of how clean and spotless the grinder is... A true artisan * ;) :D ;D 8-) ::) * *:P

Roger will look after you *8-)
    haha Mark, you could say we overdo things re shakes... Id like to think of it as pushing the limits of the human body and caffeine...

Have a Compak K3 Touch on the bench now too which is a little less messier then the DIP DK 30 as a doserless grinder. *;D

Looking forward to meeting you and your husband tomorrow Tracey. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 7B4B505E514D5C4B6A505D5C390 link=1281423210/9#9 date=1281597832
    haha Mark, you could say we overdo things re shakes... Id like to think of it as pushing the limits of the human body and caffeine...
    Hahahah, a person after my own (palpitating) heart! ;D

Caff

Oscar is great! Very powerful machine, super steaming force - easy to fit a mug under. Never put a vac breaker on mine because i was scared id break something.

My new diadema is excellent too, took a little getting used to, especially on the milk front, still getting there.

AM is right - Any of the machines you will see can make a great coffee, they all have a slightly or less than slightly different feel.

I still plan (maybe im dreaming) of repairing my Oscar and then setting it up at dads so i can have decent coffee there. IF you make a lot of milk drinks - or want to be able to steam a large volume of milk to make loads of hot chocolates, Oscar is hard to beat IMHO.