Thread: VBM Piccolo vs Isomac Zaffiro

VBM Piccolo vs Isomac Zaffiro

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

Initially I was looking at buying a Rancilio Silvia and Rocky grinder but have just had a nice cash injection thanks to the tax man so am toying with the idea of something more expensive. I have done a huge amount of research on the Silvia and nothing else so realise i need to start the process all over again for the VBM Piccolo vs the Isomac Zaffiro. Does anyone have any advice on either of these machines? Theyre pretty close in price (about $100 in it) so Id wonder which is better bang for buck. As for grinder, Im looking at either the rocky or the K3t.

Also, as this purchase will be my first serious machine, am i better off going for the cheaper Silvia and using it as a learning stepping stone to something more expensive?

Cheers.

Site Sponsor

Re: VBM Piccolo vs Isomac Zaffiro

Hi Simon80;

Both machine are nearly the same,the different are cosmetic only:

Both are:

Single boilers
    E16
    700ml boiler
    safety water level by weight
    Adjustable temperature

the main differences are:

VBM:
    black panel
    1 handle 2 baskets
    On/Off switch

Zaffiro:
    S/S panel
    2 handles 2 baskets
    On/Off rocket switch

If you are in Sydney you are welcome to try it both in here, I have both one next to another, so you can get the feel of each to help your decision.

Regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

TC

Hi Simon,

You may like to add the Diadema Perfetta to your short list. The build quality is phenomenal and it has a full stainless chassis and cool to touch, ball-jointed steam wand. The boiler is a little larger as well.

Regardless of what you buy, ask for it to be Scace calibrated for shot temperature. Without this, they can vary significantly.

Happy shopping ;)

Chris

Thanks for the info guys. Im planning on heading out this weekend to have a look at some machines. Im about an hour from Sydney so Ill probably stop by and take a look.

Hi Simon,

i only bought a zaffiro a few weeks ago through Espresso Italia. *I was planning on a sylvia and k3t combo but was able to get the zaffiro and eureka mignon combo for only a little bit more and free delivery. *

ive not owned a coffee machine before but with a bit of help from a fellow coffee snob i was able to start pulling pretty decent coffee within a couple of shots. *there is also a great guide on coffee geeks for the zaffiro. *

i have just finished a cup of my first corretto (guetemala huehue...)roast from the weekend. *i think im well and truly hooked.

brett

After much thorough research and gnashing of teeth, I went for the stainless steel sides of the Zaffiro over the black sides of the VBM. Petty of me, but I have to look at this thing everyday. Im happy I went with the Zaffiro.

As far as espresso making goes, I have a long climb in front of me....but I cant blame the machine anymore. :-[

Quote Originally Posted by 64497F624152544F4C49200 link=1283130329/1#1 date=1283134535

Both are:

Single boilers
    E16
    700ml boiler
    safety water level by weight
    Adjustable temperature

the main differences are:

VBM:
    black panel
    1 handle 2 baskets
    On/Off switch

Zaffiro:
    S/S panel
    2 handles 2 baskets
    On/Off rocket switch
    And the Rocket switch. I loves me a good rocket switch. ;)

So I went with the Isomac Zaffiro and so far so good. It looks awesome and feels really sturdy. I had an hours one-on-one instruction with a barista (who was unreal!!) and learned heaps.

As far as I can see the main negative is centred around steam. The time it takes to build up enough pressure to texture milk is rediculous. This normally isnt an issue for me as I drink double ristrettos, but my wife likes flat whites...

I read the review on coffeegeek and it talks about pulling the shot first and letting it sit while you texture your milk. I have been doing this but found the results were not as good as I expected ie the shot seemed to deteriorate and crema dissipate by the time the milk was ready. So while in training, the barista asked why not do the milk first and keep it moving while bleeding some pressure, then pull the shot. So we did, and he was able to produce much better results.

So my theory is this. if you build up enough pressure to do your milk, the water temp is higher in the boiler in order to produce steam. If you pull your shot too soon after, youll burn the coffee. If, however, you bleed the pressure through the grouphead and steam wand while you fill your basket and tamp, you will be introducing some cooler water into the boiler which will bring the temperature down enough to pull your shot. You must keep your milk moving while doing this though.

Its a bit of a juggling act but I think it works better than pulling a shot and waiting 2-3+ minutes for steam.

Any other Zaffiro owners (or anyone) have any thoughts on this?

TC

Hi Simon,

The delay between shot and steam is inherent in any single boiler machine. Some vendors will state that its nothing (aka 30 seconds), but I reckon thats misleading and then some.

Hopefully the bloke you purchased from explained this and you made an informed decision when you handed over your hard-earned.

These machines are terrific if youre into shots. If milk is a priority, you will always chase your tail and if you forget to prime the boiler, one day you will be shopping for a new element as well...

Look after your machine ;)

Chris

Yes I was well informed prior to purchase. As i said, Im not into milk based coffee so it isnt a major issue. Just an observation.

htb

Congrats on the purchase. The zaffiro is a fine machine.

Wow, two or three minutes..?? I am in the throws of making a decision on whether to go for a single boiler machine or top up the budget to squeeze into the Domo Jr. This thread has given me an important insight to the reality of a single boiler. I was thinking 20-30 sec sounds manageable! But two or three mins might become tiresome? :-/

Ross,

If youre planning on making mostly milk based coffees, I would save the extra cash and go with the Domo Jr. The Zaffiro is flawless when pulling shots and can texture milk like a champ but the time between steaming/shot extraction is lengthy. If I were making flat whites regularly then I would be looking to the Isomac Tea or Domo Jr.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 372D292B2A7C74440 link=1283130329/12#12 date=1285224548
    Ross,

If youre planning on making mostly milk based coffees, I would save the extra cash and go with the Domo Jr. The Zaffiro is flawless when pulling shots and can texture milk like a champ but the time between steaming/shot extraction is lengthy. If I were making flat whites regularly then I would be looking to the Isomac Tea or Domo Jr.
    Agreed,

Keep an eye out for an October offer 8-)

Chris