Thread: Importance of chrome on the e-61 mushroom

Importance of chrome on the e-61 mushroom

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I picked up an early model two group Wega off ebay a couple of month ago. While I knew I was up for some work, well, lets just say I struggle to understand how it could get this bad.

Im up to the challenge however, and have been busily removing various pipes and bits and pieces to get this thing operational again.

Ive removed the E-61 mushrooms and they were so scaled up, I had to wrestle them out. After soaking in descale solution overnight, theyve come up ok, but the chrome plating has been completely removed.

Can anyone tell me if the chrome serves a functional purpose? i.e. should I go get them re-chromed?

Heres a before photo. Ill post up an after shot later on as I havent take one yet.

-ACog

TC

Re: Importance of chrome on the e-61 mushroom

Not important at all ACog. Just clean em up and youre one step closer to the shots ;)

Enjoy!

Chris

Wonderful. Thanks Chris.

On to the boiler!

Quote Originally Posted by 60626E6666686F72010 link=1284898281/0#0 date=1284898281
    Heres a before photo.
    That makes me feel so much better than I did when I saw Renzo remove the mushroom from my Expobar last year.

Keep in mind TG, this is a commercial machine whos history I have no idea about. Needless to say that the coffee company that owned it, obviously doesnt maintain their assets.

Ill upload some more sickening photos later.

i thought you were growing oysters for a min with that much scale

i think some mobs just abuse the machines to they die and replace them....
    after depreciating them they might have made enough out of them not to care and new ones may cost less in maintenance ?

TC

This one came out of a 3 year old Giotto Premium owned by a client.

Its been run exclusively on Brita filtered water ::)

Quote Originally Posted by 62606C64646A6D70030 link=1284898281/4#4 date=1284928368
    ... Needless to say that the coffee company that owned it, obviously doesnt maintain their assets.....

Maybe yes, and maybe no. However you are assuming the cafe client has no responsibility in the matter which is not so. Many dont want to pay to have a proper water conditioning system fitted or after it has been done, dont ever change the filters (very common).

And in the end its always about money......they cant see the value in the water conditioning system and short sightedly see it only as a cost rather than looking ahead to the problems that their short sightedness will create.

You cannot come to blows with a client because they wont maintain the equipment properly, clients are all individuals, and life and business are full of compromises. Sometimes the effect of a client not maintaining the equipment properly wont dawn on the client until a couple of years down the track when their coffee supplier eventually has to change over the machine and do a thorough service because it is all scaled up. *The resulting account charged to the client causes quite a stir, and usually has an effect.

In addition as Chris stated about in a round about way, even when you do use and maintain a proper water conditioning regime, you get the formatrion of scale.....but it is a lot less than you would otherwise get.

Hope this helps.
    Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

there are always 2 sides to a story. :)

Thats not as bad as mine after 2 years on Brita water.

Quote Originally Posted by 093D2A3C27100C2029292A2A4F0 link=1284898281/7#7 date=1284938235
    Maybe yes, and maybe no. However you are assuming the cafe client has no responsibility in the matter which is not so. Many dont want to pay to have [insert process here].

And in the end its always about money......they cant see the value in [insert process here] and short sightedly see it only as a cost rather than looking ahead to the problems that short sightedness will create.
    Funny (not) I see the same thing in non-coffee businesses too.

Excuse me Attilio for butchering your quote. ;)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 516D706B616077626A61050 link=1284898281/9#9 date=1284938690
    Funny (not) I see the same thing in non-coffee businesses too.
    When the $ is the main reason for the said business ... Some things do and will take a back seat...

Quote Originally Posted by 64666A62626C6B76050 link=1284898281/0#0 date=1284898281
    Can anyone tell me if the chrome serves a functional purpose? i.e. should I go get them re-chromed?
    As hinted at before a clean and good water and they should be right to go..

However they will need to be checked more frequently to ensure they remain clean and not too encrusted.

I would go a re plate but it depends on the place doing it as to if you need a min order etc ... I had some things done by a place teh works with small stuff and jeweller etc and they were great and took care with little holes and other bits that do not need teh plating applied.

They had a $40 min order, but as I had a couple of group handles and a car part or two it was not a problem.

Come on show us teh shower screens and teh restrictiors if fitted and teh tank.. We loke dirty pictures...

Bearing in mind that until recently I have only used ex-commercial machines, and have used the inline softener on them, what water would you use in the home environment?
    TGs post suggests that the Brita water filter is out of the question, and in a rented property adding a softener to the taps is out as well. I presume most spring/bottled waters will also be too hard (although I have noticed that the water bottles are starting to mention the amount of bicarb (equating to hardness?) on them.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7E7B7C7C73777C120 link=1284898281/11#11 date=1284969506
    Bearing in mind that until recently I have only used ex-commercial machines, and have used the inline softener on them, what water would you use in the home environment?
    TGs post suggests that the Brita water filter is out of the question, and in a rented property adding a softener to the taps is out as well. I presume most spring/bottled waters will also be too hard (although I have noticed that the water bottles are starting to mention the amount of bicarb (equating to hardness?) on them.
    See the other posts on this matter. Search is your best buddy.

Plenty of options for renters - Bombora also has an option.

In effect a connector to your tap that will split off to a filter system; thus you can have plain tap water for washing up etc and filtered water on demand.

You can also disconnect (no damage to the base unit) and take with you when you leave or go on hols and want filtered water there as well ;)