Thread: Domus and a Mazzer?

Domus and a Mazzer?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by 4F5558594B5D454F4F3C0 link=1163710607/1137#1137 date=1285051614
    Welcome Gehrke and Chitty Chitty. :)
    * * * * * * *I wonder if Chitty Chitty refers to that famous car in those old movies.
    Gehrke, what,s your budget for your grinder. You can save time and get great advice from fellow members here for grinder advice.

Chitty Chitty, what,s your budget on your machine/grinder combo? Again, great advice from members, may save you in the long run.

And, do you both intend to buy now or later?

Enjoy. Gary 8-)
    Gary ive "pretty much" decided on the Bezzera Domus Galatea paired with the Mazzer Mini M . *Whats your thoughts on that Combo?...any advice from yourself and other members would be greatly appreciated, and i will be purchasing it sooner rather than later .

Thanks in advance.
    Stuart.
    South Aust.

TC

Re: Domus and a Mazzer?

Hi Stuart,

No reason not to go with the Domus if it rocks your boat.

We sold a few of them in the past and have found them to be very good in service, if a little noisy.

In service, they do take a little longer to get into than some other machines, but that shouldnt need to happen too often.

In my experience, none of our machines were set for a 9 bar extraction, the OPV of all being set to more like 11-12 bar and this needed to be attended to in the bench test. It was a fiddly job in this machine. Make sure your vendor knows how to do this and has the right equipment.

There are plenty of other great machines in the same price bracket- The Diadema Junior Extra has an identical specification for example.

Happy shopping ;)

Chris

Where did you go Chitty...Ahh, there you are. Looks like you got moved for being off topic haha ;D
    I think that is a serious piece of kit and you should be happy about it. You set yourself a very high standard. I thought you were one of those kind who would consider a Breville or Sunbeam etc.
    You,ll get fantastic coffee once you dial in the grinder and get used to the machine as well as technique.

Enjoy. Gary ;)

Soon (maybe November) there will be a more easily adjustable OPV available for the Domus-I am lining my machine up for one, and will lower the pressure to 9 bar (currently 11.5).

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 44515E5E595E300 link=1285054986/3#3 date=1285106678
    Soon (maybe November) there will be a more easily adjustable OPV available for the Domus-I am lining my machine up for one, and will lower the pressure to 9 bar (currently 11.5).
    So far, I have seen 2 different OPVs on these. Both are adjustable, but in the earlier ones, the factory had a love affair with loktite. The main issue was the silly location of the valve. Blood and profanity just about every time ::)

Dont let the OPV adjustment scare you too much. On mine (about 12 months old) I adjusted it pretty simply without too much blood and profanity. Getting to it was probably the hardest part but again, if its a once in a while prospect, its not too bad.

The Domus has everything needed to make quality coffee. It can run hot and it seems a little noisy (and the adjusted OPV on my model makes some noise as well) when compared to the major competitors but I dont think that should turn you off.

If you like the look and feel of it then go for it. Last time I spoke to him, Roger from Supreme Roasters had some specials on which might be worth discussion.

The Galatea is beautifully built

And I agree with with fancypants quote

Quote Originally Posted by 3B3C333E242D3C33292E5D0 link=1285054986/5#5 date=1285288989
    Dont let the OPV adjustment scare you too much. On mine (about 12 months old) I adjusted it pretty simply without too much blood and profanity. Getting to it was probably the hardest part but again, if its a once in a while prospect, its not too bad. *
    When you become familiar with it the coffee is outstanding (this is also true for most machines)

KK

like Chris said, there are plenty of other machines in the same price bracket so if you havent had any hands-on time with your options then its highly recommended to do that first. I was under the (incorrect) assumption that all HX machines were essentially the same under the skin and so was influenced by the design when other factors would have been more important to consider.

Theres plenty of happy Bezzera owners out there though so if thats what you end up with youll be in good company.

also if you stick with site sponsors for your purchase youll improve your chances of getting good support afterwards.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by 5874746B7E692D22481B0 link=1285054986/7#7 date=1285333863
    I was under the (incorrect) assumption that all HX machines were essentially the same under the skin *
    Hey Geoff are you explain in what major way’s they differ? Or can you just insert a link to a thread that will run me through it.

Thanks in advance.
    Stuart

I just took ownership of a Domus / Mazzer Electronic setup. I am over the moon with the combo. Now need to learn how to use it :D

Quote Originally Posted by 0A0F0A160E535354630 link=1285054986/9#9 date=1286367986
    I just took ownership of a Domus / Mazzer Electronic setup. I am over the moon with the combo. Now need to learn how to use it *:D
    Its a piece of cake to use

KK

Trying to get a starting point for the grind was difficult, had to go about 8 notches finer than the starting point sticker on the Mazzer. I only have the plastic tamp that came with the machine and it doesnt reach the edges of the portafilter. The pressure builds, I get nice initial flow then it turns into a gusher. Inspecting the cake shows a cavity always on the perimeter of the portafilter. So many variables!!! :D