Thread: Maintenance of water softener/filter on end of water intake pipe

Maintenance of water softener/filter on end of water intake pipe

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Im wondering how to maintain the water filter that is attached to the end of my water intake pipe on my Diadema Junior.

Ive searched and read a few threads here about how important it is to maintain, but cant find any instructions/tips. Ive also looked on coffeeparts etc for replacement filters and parts and cant see any.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Andrew.

TC

Re: Maintenance of water softener/filter on end of water intake pipe

Hi Andrew,

Give it a swim in a tall glass of water with a couple of tablespoons of dissolved salt for at least 1/2 hour. Even overnight is fine. Rinse well and reinstall it :)

2mcm

I talked to Bombora and got a great simple filter system for a great price. This will probably mean the softener in my Sunbeam will last for ages.

Cheers,
    Ben.

You should find some deestructions on this in the blue covered owner booklet provided by the manufacturer, probably on the last page before the the booklet then goes to the next available language* ;D

Otherwise it is as Chris said!

They are said to soften about 30 litres (??? from memory????...or was it 15???) so be sure to keep a rough track of how much water you are using. Far better to just pick an arbitrary but calculated interval and do the operation then say....once a month for example. Stick a card on the side of the machine and write down the date every time you do it.

Say...every 6 months take a very close look at the fibre filter at the top of the cartridge and make sure it looks ok. For a real close look just flip off the bottom intake cover, drop the beads into a cup, and remove the plastic retainer and fibre disc at top of the plastic body. Wash out in water and inspect. If it looks like it is losing its integrity, buy another mini softener pronto. We sell...

In such case (that it looks like it is losing its integrity) its ok (and better) to run the machine without the softener on at all for a short time while you wait for a new replacement.

Say once a year, just buy a new softener and ditch the old one. The last thing you want is for the fibre disc already mentioned to disintegrate and allow the beads to get sucked through into the machine, as it then requires a stripout of all piping to try and remove them to stop blockages.

Beware that if ever replacing the factory supplied softener/filter, that whatever you use needs to have anti scale properties. Particle filters that dont have anti scale properties are not fit for purpose and in our area, the build up of scale is much much much more prevalent than the possibility of an occasional blockage due to "particles".

Have fun and enjoy your great little machine.

Rgdz,
    Attilio
    very first CS sie sponsor

Thank you all for the comments and explanations of maintenance.

I believe the softener on my intake pipe is beyond saving at this stage. The contents of the softener is a murky brownish colour. It hasnt been changed for a few years at least.

Does Melbourne water need softening? I will use only pre-filtered water with the machine anyway.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7E717B6D7A681F0 link=1300164138/4#4 date=1300228793
    Does Melbourne water need softening? I will use only pre-filtered water with the machine anyway.
    In general, yes...

I have seen a few machines from various locations which were run on tap water showing little if any scale.

More often than not though, Melbourne machines beyond a year old usually show significant scale unless their water is appropriately treated.

I find most owners assume that if they have a filter of any description, all will be ok. Most filters are just designed for drinking water, not coffee and this misunderstanding is often the reason for pretty badly scaled machines.

Chris

Attilio,

Do you sell these via your website? Can you shoot through a link??

Cheers,
    Sam

TC

Many sponsors have them Sam.

Ours is located at http://shop.talkcoffee.com.au/products/resin-filter-in-line

Thanks for the link Chris, that is exactly what Im talking about and it definitely isnt that colour anymore.

So just to clarify, you think it is necessary to use a water filter system, and an in tank resin filter in conjunction. And for best results the initial water filter system must be coffee specific...?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 69666C7A6D7F080 link=1300164138/8#8 date=1300238028
    So just to clarify, you think it is necessary to use a water filter system, and an in tank resin filter in conjunction.
    Hi Andrew,

If you have a coffee specific water filter- purchased from Bombora or similar, the resin filter is neither here nor there. If its a drinking water filter from a major, plumbing supplies place et al, it will do little or nothing at all for scale.

Chris

Very interesting, so for example using a Brita jug does nothing for scale; it is just good for chlorine etc. I note that some sponsors here recommend them for minimising scale. However, the Brita jug in conjunction with a fresh resin in tank filter may be sufficient for both getting rid of chlorine and for removing scale, and will meantime retain some natural flavour?

Just trying to decide whether to purchase a new resin filter or just get a proper coffee-jug style filter from Bombora etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 000F05130416610 link=1300164138/10#10 date=1300238846
    However, the Brita jug in conjunction with a fresh resin in tank filter may be sufficient for both getting rid of chlorine and for removing scale, and will meantime retain some natural flavour?
    Brita plus in tank filter will not remove all scale.
    They may slow it down.

Sam, we dont sell "via website"/. Just send us an email and our service people can reply with specifics.

Andrew, earlier "mini softeners" used different compound resin beads that were an orange colour to start with rather than the kind of beige colour you see in them now. And if course as they age they darken up to a dirrty orangy brown and part of that will be crap thats been trapped in there as water passes through (thats the "particle filter" part of it working). Of course its water softening (scale inhibiting) properties will have been saturated and stopped happening long time ago if the thing hasnt been "recharged" regularly with salt to continue its "softening" (scale inhibiting) ability over time, per Chriss description.

I will say again.....a water filter that has NO scale inhibiting properties is not fit for purpose.

Regardz,
    A.

In any case, if yours is a few years old buy a new one now before the fibre disc at the top gives out and allows beads into your machine.

Attilio,

Thank you very much for your informative posts. I will certainly be getting a new resin filter. Considering my options for further filtration as well.

Thanks everyone,
    Andrew.

Youre welcome, and I Very Much appreciate your "thankyou" :) !

Over and out,
    A

Okay, Ive bought a new in tank resin filter, thanks to Coffee-A-Roma. At $7 Ill be buying one every 3-6 months.

However Ive been doing a bit of research on the Brita, and it seems it already has some resin ion-exchange filtering. This is the contents of a standard Maxtra cartridge:

* Pre-Filtration: the water flows through a fine mesh filter - simply fill from the tap.
    * Ion Exchange Filtration - the ion exchange resin reduces the heavy metals, including lead and copper, as well as the carbonate hardness that causes limescale build-up in kettles and affects the taste and aroma of tea or coffee.
    * Activated Carbon Filtration - the granulated activated carbon significantly reduces substances that affect the taste and odour of your tap water, such as chlorine, certain pesticides and organic impurities.
    * Final Filtration - fine mesh particle filter.
    * MAXTRA Flow Control - ensures a consistent flow rate through the cartridge and optimises the contact times between water and filtration media for superior performance.

Im wondering what further technology is utilised by the special coffee filtering systems?

TC

Hello Andrew,

Plenty about this written elsewhere in CS.

To keep it brief, the standard Brita jug will have some softening effect for the first few litres. You can also get a fair bit of carbon in the first few litres. The cartridges need to be soaked prior to use and many forget to do that. You can be pretty sure that by 10L in, they are cactus in terms of softening ability.

A story from last year:
    Diadema Junior Elettronica comes for service- run exclusively on non rinsed Brita. We found 5cm solid carbon in the base of the boiler. It and associated severe scale led to replacement of the control board, group solenoid, element, pump and other items leading to a huge repair bill.

Enter at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by 5C696463574B676E6E6D6D080 link=1300164138/16#16 date=1300253091
    Hello Andrew,

Plenty about this written elsewhere in CS.

To keep it brief, the standard Brita jug will have some softening effect for the first few litres. You can also get a fair bit of carbon in the first few litres. The cartridges need to be soaked prior to use and many forget to do that. You can be pretty sure that by 10L in, they are cactus in terms of softening ability.

A story from last year:
    Diadema Junior Elettronica comes for service- run exclusively on non rinsed Brita. We found 5cm solid carbon in the base of the boiler. It and associated severe scale led to replacement of the control board, group solenoid, element, pump and other items leading to a huge repair bill.

Enter at your own risk.
    Thanks Chris, I guess I did get a bit off topic.

That is a really scary story about finding 5cm of carbon in the base of a boiler.

Just goes to show how careful you need to be with all of this.

Im not sure whether to use the Brita at all now! Great to have the new resin filter at least.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge/expertise.

I only have the original Brita with the carbon filter, not the Maxtra.

Quote Originally Posted by 0F3A37300418343D3D3E3E5B0 link=1300164138/16#16 date=1300253091
    The cartridges need to be soaked prior to use and many forget to do that.
    ::)
    How hard is it ?
    The instructions are on every packet.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6A564B505A5B4C59515A3E0 link=1300164138/18#18 date=1300255255
    How hard is it ?
    Seemingly very hard TG ::)

Really off topic but TG you realise your 10,000th post better be something special...

Quote Originally Posted by 6F534E555F5E495C545F3B0 link=1300164138/18#18 date=1300255255
    I only have the original Brita with the carbon filter, not the Maxtra.

Talk_Coffee wrote on Mar 16th, 2011 at 4:24pm:
    The cartridges need to be soaked prior to use and many forget to do that.

Roll Eyes
    How hard is it ?
    Yikes! - I hope this does not apply to the Maxtra - I follow this instructions on that, it says it does not need rinsing - just toss the first couple of jugs (which I do). I hope this is enough....

This is an interesting topic.

I have exclusively used a Brita filter/jug for my machine for over 2 years. I follow the instructions, soak the new cartridge first, then run 2-3 jugs full of water through it before using. I have also changed the cartridges once they are only halfway used (as per the digital indicator on the jug).

As for the resin filter, I soaked every 2-3 months in a salt solution, then flushed. I did this for the first year until I decided that I really couldnt be bothered messing about with the salt solution given the low cost of the resin filters, so for the past year I replace them every 4 months or so.

I recently took my machine to a sponsor for service and was pleasantly surprised to be told that the machine was very clean, little sign of scale.

Despite this, yesterday I had an under sink unit installed by a plumber and made sure to select a cartridge specifically designed for lime scale (Everpure H54). Did I need to, well not based on the feedback from the service but it will provide that little extra piece of mind and perhaps save me a couple of bucks on the resin filters ;D

ale

Hi

I follow my Expobar Leva directions:

Connect to the water softener filter a plastic tube
    Fill a water container with 2 liters of water.
    Dissolve 300 grams of table salt into the water
    Insert the water softener filter inside the water container.
    Drain the water container through the water

repeat the above process with unsaturated water prior connecting filter to machine

I first did it after 3 month of use (3 coffes/day) , e.g. 300 coffees as mentioned in the manual

however, as Ive always used Bottled Drinkable Water, Im not sure how often it may need regeneration and replacement.

Any advice ?

Cheers

you can go to an aquarium supplier and buy a water hardenss test kit, they are about $15-20, and you can do LOTS of tests (over 20 from a kit), some aquarium shops even do it for free (wouldnt mention its for a coffee machine though) . Measure water in and run some water through your machine and measure what comes out. Do it with a new filter, and then whenever to see how effectively it still works.

Yes ..... I have an aquarium.