Thread: Musica owners help!!!

Musica owners help!!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi there

I got my musica yesterday and am a complete novice in the game.

Would you mind sharing your routines with me so I can make sure I am heading in the right direction? I am petrified of blowing up the boiler!

My pressure when it is just sitting is 1.3 - 1.4 bar which from reading through threads seems a little higher than most of yours.

I need to buy a blind filter at the guy told me it had one in the box bit it doesnt.

When I have used it I have just turned it on and it made that loud sound for a few seconds then leave it to heat up to the blue section, then I pour and froth, clean everything I have used and then let a few seconds of steam out before turning it off, does that sound right?

Today I will play with adjusting grind on my rocky - currently around 7 or 8 but the pour is really thick slow and muddy looking!!

Anyway I would love some advice and help if you care to share!

Re: Musica owners help!!!

Boiler pressure can be adjusted check the forum for a previous post on this, or get a technician to do this.

I would suggest you buy a blind filter (they do not come in the box with the machine) from a Site Sponsor as they will have one that fits correctly.* Di Bella and a couple of others sell Musica.* *Or go back and see the person you purchased from and see if they will supply as they stated it was in the box when it was not.* In my case I purchased from a sponsor who provided a kit which contained the blind filter cleaning powder and a cloth.* So there are kits available which may supply want you are after

How long is your pour?* around 25-30 seconds would be correct.* If it is slower than this you may need to either grind courser or tamp lighter.* Only work with one variable.* If you have a set pattern to your tamping then adjust the grind.* I fill the portafilter then tap lightly on the counter then I fill again and level off and then tamp.* I find that this gets me a consistent result.* However everybody here has a different method, as as I previously stated if oyu have your own pattern then stick to it and adjust the grind as need be.

The noise you hear on startup is the boiler filling.* If you are not sure run the steam wand for a period (after the machine has heated) and you shoul hear the pump start up.*

Thanks Stan, yep , I saw the post on how to change the boiler temp so will do that if there is no change.

Am I right in thinking as long as there is water in it I cant blow up the boiler?

Just also wondering, is the preinfusion set to on out of the box or do I need to go into program mode to turn it on?

Am really enjoying playing with it and just did some awesome milk using kks method.

Thanks again for responding Stan, I appreciate your input!

I cant help with the changing of programs for preinfusion- I leave that to the experts.

I have had mine for a year (nearly) and have not had any trouble with running out of water and all I do is fill it. I do run the steam prior to making a shot so the pressure drops and the heater turns on again. when it gets to pressure (on mine about 1.2) I pull the shot. So far have not had any issues with the coffee produced. The Warm up time is about 20 minutes.

Thanks Stan, Im Going quite well today and have had good comments from guests who are finishing the cup so it must be ok!

I havent changed any settings as yet but wondered if the pre infusion is set to on when it leaves the factory.

I can see though that the novelty wont wear off, always chasing a better pour or microfoam than the last cup!!

Ive recently bought a Musica. Have only had a couple of weekends to play with it. At first I was getting very mixed results but now I think Im getting the hang of this HX machine.* My boiler cycles between 1.25 and 1.45 bars.* If left to sit, it will take approx 75 secs to drop from 1.45 to 1.25 where the heat kicks in to bring it back to 1.45 in about 10-15 secs.

My current process:
    - Purge overheated (heat exchanger water) until a steady stream appears. This may take 5-10 secs depending on how long its been sitting.
    - Let the boiler heater kick in to return pressure to 1.45 (I know this is just pseudo temp surfing since its a heat exchanger but anyway). The heater usually kicks in pretty much straight away after the flush.
    - Pull shot

I find this machine super heats the exchanger water pretty quickly.* Perhaps my pressure is a tad high, but the few coffees I made with this routine seemed to be on the right track. Honey dripping effect with good timing and taste seemed good to me.

I generally dose by slightly overfilling loose grounds from Vario then level off flush with rim and medium tamp. Cake sits near bottom of ridge.* Recently Ive been upping the dose slightly to get firmer dryer pucks.

All going well, steam is awesome, want to get a naked portafilter and would love to muck around with a scace thermometer if I could get my hands on one.

Regards

No worries WA

Yash, I think that the purge is a good idea as all Heat Exchange machines should have some water put through before a shot particularly if they have been setting it gets the brew head down to the correct temp. (IMHO) I could be proven wrong by the more learnered persons on this forum. ::) Have fun I have found it a great machine since I had the teething issues corrected. I and the wife get very cionsistent shots with different loading and tamping techniques so it is a forgiving machine.

Hi Stan,
    I believe the group head maintains a pretty stable temperature when left to sit. The super heated water in the heat exchanger circuit (>100 degrees) can be determental to the shot if its not purged.

That Boiler Pressure setting does seem a little high to me Yash.... But, for the Musica it may be quite OK. Best thing would be to check with your vendor to confirm what the normal operating range should be.... :) 8-)

Mal.

TC

Interesting thread,

I am with Mal that the boiler pressure sounds high.

I havent had a play with one of these, but the big cooling flush is very rare in most of the e-61 gear and then often easily dialled out with a Scace, some tools and bits and a little time.

I know very little about the how the group of the musica is heated. Its pretty difficult to see behind all the bling, but I presume it not e-61 so may be electrically heated- in which case whats happening in the HX might not be the issue.

Chris

if the coffee is very thick and slow pouring... thats a good thing!

Told you I wasnt an expert I know how to make coffee but little about the internal workings of the machine.* I am about as mechanically minded as a new born.* ;) My musica runs quite well at about 1.1-1.2 and rarely have I seen it over that.

To slow a pour leads to a burnt taste but the pour cannot be to fast either so about 25-30 secs from go to cup is about the norm from what I have read here and experienced

It appears to be a more or less standard thermosyphon Chris...

There are electrical and hydraulic schematics on the NS website ;)

Mal.

I do a cooling flush straight into the glass that Im making my latte in, and kill two birds with one stone. I only run it for about 3 seconds, though, and that seems to be enough. I then grind, tamp, lock and load and then pull the shot, and the time difference between cooling flush and locking is enough for it to get back up to temp.

Re the pre-infusion, I cant honestly remember whether it was set to on when I first got it, but I soon fiddled around with all of the settings and put it on (or put it on a bit longer?) so that it now preinfuses for about 7 seconds before it starts to ooze out. You can tell if its pre-infusing if its coming through after about 2-3 seconds.

I definitely didnt get a blind filter in the box with mine and it was second-hand but brand new direct from Nuova Simonelli (won as a prize by one of the WBC State Finalists and passed on to me for a song!) and the box hadnt even been opened, so I know it didnt do a disappearing trick. The bummer of it was that I accidentally gave my blind filter away when I sold the Maver and just havent yet got around to getting a new one yet. Ive been using a poxy rubber disk blind thing that I think originally came with the Maver. Either way, any standard 58mm blind filter will fit and is easily obtainable from quite a few of the sponsors.

Cheers
    Di

Okay, reminder to myself:-

No. 1 - must get new blind filter basket next payday; and
    No. 2 - update my sig block to remove the Marvellous Maver: very remiss of me. Its been a looong, looong year so far for this little black duck!

Cheers
    Di

Thanks everyone.

Well the temperature has gone down to about 1.2 now so am happy with that.

My shots are getting good and the milk is still a work in progress - not quite wet paint but close.

I contacted the people I got the machine off and they are posting me the blind filter.

So once I get it, do I just put it in the basket and press the 1 cup coffee button (which has been programmed for around 30 seconds I think) and let it do the work? The manual doesnt go into the cleaning of it and for someone who has never owned a coffee machine like this, I have no idea :D

How often do you guys put your cleaning solution in and clean it?* And do you do this the same way - put around 1/2 teaspoon in the basket with the blind filter and after you have flushed it, let it run til the chemical has gone?

When pouring the shot I have been doing the same as everyone else by the looks.* I turn it on, let it heat up, purge some steam, run some water through then do the grind, tamp, pour.

I am really loving the machine and am so glad I got rid of the Jura.* They traded it for me so I saved a heap of time and money I think!!

1: Put a level teaspoon in the blind basket and lock it in the machine.

2: Then turn the coffee on, wait 5 - 10secs, turn the coffee off.

3: Repeat step 2 approx 10 times.

4: Take the handle out, put another level teaspoon in the basket but this time dont lock the handle in, just hold it in position as if you were about to twist and lock it. Then turn the coffee on and let the foamy water run over the top of the basket and all throughout the group head. Do this until the water runs clear.

5: repeat steps 1 - 4 except this time dont use any cleaning solution, you just want to flush everything out with fresh water.

Do this every 2 weeks or every kilo of coffee, whichever occurs first. (just my opinion)

Im sure there are youtube videos describing this process.

Every 3-6 months, take the shower screen out and clean behind it because coffee oils can still build up even with backflushing.

Quote Originally Posted by 7A4F4245716D4148484B4B2E0 link=1312072604/9#9 date=1312233267
    Its pretty difficult to see behind all the bling, but I presume it not e-61
    Ha ha good one.* And no its not an e-61

Quote Originally Posted by 6A47434F422E0 link=1312072604/8#8 date=1312205047
    That Boiler Pressure setting does seem a little high to me Yash
    Yeah perhaps youre right, I did think the amazing sputtering and hissing show I get when flushing seemed a bit over the top.* Since Ive just got the machine (second hand) and havent used it much I wasnt ready to tweak it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 7A4F4245716D4148484B4B2E0 link=1312072604/9#9 date=1312233267
    I havent had a play with one of these, but the big cooling flush is very rare in most of the e-61 gear and then often easily dialled out with a Scace, some tools and bits and a little time.
    Cool, do you have a scace I can use with the Musica? :)

Quote Originally Posted by 63475D4D464F2E0 link=1312072604/10#10 date=1312233981
    if the coffee is very thick and slow pouring... thats a good thing!
    There is still much room for improvement ;)

I am really glad that this thread has picked up.* Its really helpful to get feedback from other people.* Anyone heard of any good Musica mods?

WAcoffee... :)

Heres a link to a "How-To" video that includes backflushing... http://www.espressocompany.com.au/maintenance-video.htm

Lots of other very useful tutorials on the ECA website too, that might be helpful to you... ;)

Mal.

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1312359965/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

Hi all, I was wondering if someone here can give me some information on the volumetric controls of the Musica. Do you experience variance in the dosage? I have my double shot button set for 39gm out but sometimes it can vary from 36gm to 44gm (approximately 10% swing) is this normal? Could the variance be a pump issue? Any tricks to help improve the dosage consistency?

Quick tap of the water dispense on and off and you will hear the pump continue to run for a bit, keep doing that until you hear the pitch change so you know the h/x is at a consistent pressure before you start brewing.