Thread: Dosing (Giotto): how much is too much?

Dosing (Giotto): how much is too much?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, I know, but Im wondering what other Giotto owners think is the ideal dosage for the stock double basket.

Ive been consistently running a standard routine of overfill, tap twice, repeat, chop, level and scrape about 5 mls off with a dosing tool (number 1). I thought this would be about 19 grams, but it turns out to be about 22 grams in a stock double basket (Giotto Premium Plus).

Taking it back to one overfill and hard double tap reduces the dosage to just under 20 grams.

I run my extraction for about 29 seconds for 34 grams of espresso. Mostly I get pretty consistent results.

What about everyone else?

Re: Dosing (Giotto): how much is too much?

Seems about right. I find on my Giottos double filter that if I am grinding very fine and using about 15 grams of coffee to extract 30 ml extraction over a 30 second period of when the lever is up, and I then use the shots for a latte or cuppachino has a bitter after taste. And the top of the puck seems a bit watery.

So now I am trying a coarser grind, tamping it down a lot harder, around 21-22 grams, and extracting less than 30 ml over the same 30 second lever up time, and the coffee tastes a bit better. Still not quite right though. But so far it seems to me that the Giotto requires a bit of overdosing, if thats the right terminology.

I also prefer the "look" of how the extraction is coming out of the machine at 21-22 grams coarser grind than 15 grams fine grind. The former looks like an unsteady treacle or syrupy flow whereas the latter looks like very thin but steady rats tails, if you know what I mean. ;D

Hi new here and its my first post,

I have similar results.* I try to run my grinder as fine as possible (KS Grinder setting currently on 7 but varies from day to day)

I pretty consistently fill my double basket with approx 20gms of coffee (plus or minus a gram or 2). I find this gives me the best results.

I find also that if I try to stick with the 14gms coffee I have to tamp pretty hard to ensure water is restricted sufficiently for the 30sec pour which is not ideal for me.

On a separate note, what tamper are you all using?
    I have a 58mm SS tamp and it is just that little be too small for the filter basket on the Giotto Premium.* So this means I have to tamp twice to ensure I get proper coverage and evenness of the coffee surface.* Any other Giotto Premium owners have this problem?

Cheers
    Noel

Quote Originally Posted by 545E475454504750320 link=1312679048/2#2 date=1314014886
    Any other Giotto Premium owners have this problem?
    Thats not a giotto specific question. Youll find that most filter baskets are oversize, and also vary with size a fair bit; your standard run of the mill baskets are not exactly precision made. If your tamper is significantly smaller than the basket, you could always have one custom made.

Tks Mischa,

I think I will have to go the custom made option as it is quite annoying having to do a double tamp. Plus I dont think I get the same pressure on the edges properly.

Been looking at the Pullman tampers. :D

Quote Originally Posted by 3B31283B3B3F283F5D0 link=1312679048/4#4 date=1314062057
    Tks Mischa,

I think I will have to go the custom made option as it is quite annoying having to do a double tamp.* Plus I dont think I get the same pressure on the edges properly.

Been looking at the Pullman tampers.* *:D
    I have a 58mm convex Espro. Youre right, its pretty sloppy at the top when overfilled. The first light tamp always leaves a ring of grounds, so against all advice I give it a light tap to clean the edges, give it a full tamp, then blow to remove anything thats still loose.