Thread: New Machine - Any Ideas

New Machine - Any Ideas

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Okay, so at the moment Im using a Sunbeam EM6910 at home, and through a bit of programming, Im making some of my best coffee on it. Unfortunately though, lately it has been going through more a lot more coffees, and it really just doesnt have the ability to do lots of coffees fast. This doesnt help with the fact that I have people wanting lessons from me, and I would rather have a mid-range machine capable for this.... Any ideas? Price range isnt a major concern just yet, Im more just wanting to know what I need to look at..

P.S Ive been a barista for the past two years, and even though Im only 16, Ive worked in two of Hobarts leading cafes, so I know what Im doing :)

Re: New Machine - Any Ideas

You can get an entry level semi commercial machine (same construction as the big 2 and 3 group machines, just smaller) for under $1000 second hand if you look carefully, or under $2000 for one thats like new and that you know the history of. Just check out any site sponsors page (ie jetblack espresso etc) to see what machines are around in aus :)

Quote Originally Posted by 6D7B617A737675667D676075140 link=1312707364/0#0 date=1312707364
    Ive been a barista
    Nothing against you in particular here, but I often cringe when I hear people call themselves "baristas". That title is thrown around much too often, and its actual definition has become clouded.

But in saying that, what kind of "lessons" are you talking about?
    Im assuming you will mainly be doing milk based coffees?

Quote Originally Posted by 2328303A2627252C263E490 link=1312707364/2#2 date=1312711918

Nothing against you in particular here, but I often cringe when I hear people call themselves "baristas". That title is thrown around much too often, and its actual definition has become clouded.
    "Barista...is a person, usually a coffee-house employee, who prepares and serves espresso-based coffee drinks." Nothing cloudy about that.

He (she) just said they worked in cafes in Hobart, presumably making coffee by the sound of it - and rightly proud to do so at 16. Sounds like a barista to me.

I think the op should do a bit of hands on before spending their hard earned. Im sure there is a sponsor in Tassie - cant remember who though.

Quote Originally Posted by 6A687B607A38303F3C090 link=1312707364/3#3 date=1312717142
    "Barista...is a person, usually a coffee-house employee, who prepares and serves espresso-based coffee drinks." Nothing cloudy about that.
    Others exist:
    Barista: A term for someone operating an espresso station. The usual connotation suggests the person making the coffee is especially skilled at making espresso-based beverages, though there are no official standards that determine when it may be used and pretty much every coffee shop employee gets the barista title their first day on the job.
    Wikipedia isnt the only source of info.

Barista-even coffee shops dont have qualified baristas alot of the time, it is an art form!

Okay, well this is one I made at home. On the EM6910.

The lessons will be based around everything by the way, not just milk based drinks..

And another...

Quote Originally Posted by 55716B7B7079180 link=1312707364/1#1 date=1312711872
    You can get an entry level semi commercial machine (same construction as the big 2 and 3 group machines, just smaller) for under $1000 second hand if you look carefully, or under $2000 for one thats like new and that you know the history of. Just check out any site sponsors page (ie jetblack espresso etc) to see what machines are around in aus :)
    Thanks Mischa, Ill take a look :)

Quote Originally Posted by 7A7169637F7E7C757F67100 link=1312707364/4#4 date=1312717430
    Wikipedia isnt the only source of info.
    No. But I would not presume that somebody is not what they claim to be based purely on assumptions. No offence.

Edit; Great looking coffee yb. I think you qualify - depending on taste of course 8-).

Quote Originally Posted by 3B392A312B69616E6D580 link=1312707364/9#9 date=1312721529
    Great looking coffee yb. I think you qualify - depending on taste of course Cool.
    Oh, it tastes good.... ;)

I think having a title is overrated. Its ability that counts and hunger to improve no matter your set skills.

And kudos to yb for making something of him/herself at such a young age compare some teens I know. Just remember to be humble with your ability and not be quick to prove your knockers wrong when its not worth your while.

Back on topic, I would say the Breville BES900 would be a option at a reasonable price, but Im sure someone else far more knowledgeable would put me back in line.

Back to

who cares what he/she is or isnt. youngbarista obviously likes coffee very much and is after a machine to match their passion... even if the person is totally shit at making coffees, its beside the point!

Caffeine Junky

Enough already you 2, lets get back to the OP.

YB it sounds like you need to make the move that many of us have done before you and go from the Sunbeam to a HX or Double Boiler machine.

There are a number of great machines in the low to mid $2K region. My favourite is the VBM Domobar Junior which is a HX. If you like to tweak your temperature then the Expobar Minore is another.

Quote Originally Posted by 5C5D57445A5F45360 link=1312707364/13#13 date=1312725713
    There are a number of great machines in the low to mid $2K region.* My favourite is the VBM Domobar Junior which is a HX. If you like to tweak your temperature then the Expobar Minore is another.*
    Thanks for that :) . I was looking at both of those last night actually. Ill do a bit more research. Either of those would be perfect I believe..

The feedback I have been getting from retailers is that in that range it comes down to the machine you like and some minor differences in quality/build/steam etc - none being perfect but all capable of excellent espresso.

Of course Im not able to verify that - still attempting to get around and look at whats what.

Nice examples of your work by the way.... Id take lessons from you if I lived in Hobart ;D