Thread: Faema, E98 compact

Faema, E98 compact

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My Faema compact has started to develop false pressure when it heats up. I am thinking it is possible a vacuum breaker problem, but I thought i would throw it out to everyone and see what you all think before i start pulling it apart. The Machine is about 4 years old and apart from this , and some very weird boiler pings when i first got it, I have had no problems with it at all.
    As this will be my first time disassembling this machine, I wondered weather anyone out there might have a service manual for this machine? I also believe its known as a la Cimbali Junior.
    cheers, Aaron

Re: Faema, E98 compact

Hi Aaron,

I read something about this in the other thread (extreme equipment).

Aparently it just needs new o-rings and a bit of grease (dont quote me). Heres the link:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1303139144/59#59

TC

Yep- Best bet it to replace the anti-vac valve...

While youre waiting for the part, leave the steam valve open when you switch on from cold until such time as you see steam...

I have the E98 A1 in that link, they are quite easy to work on and fairly simple to understand once you get your head around it.

Send me a PM, I have some info on the machines I can email you.

Cheers

is there really any point replacing the antivac? On my Rancilio, its just a brass plug with a rod running through it with a circlip on the outside and an o ring on the inside. Surely you would only need to replace the O ring?
    Unless its a more exotic setup on the Faema? I havent had a chance to get it apart yet.

You are right, on my machine I just took the valve apart and went to a bearing shop and got an o-ring to fit, they are only a few cents.

On mine the centre part has a screwdriver slot on the bottom, and a small nut on the top (instead of circlip), but same principle of operation.

I guess on some valves, if the sealing surface is corroded/pitted, you might need to replace the entire thing as a new o-ring might not seal? A whole new valve is quite cheap anyway if thats the way you need to go.

TC

All comes down to how much time you want to waste!

Often, a new o-ring is only a short term fix. For a component which is <$20, I dont bother trying to repair them.

it just seems incredibly wasteful to throw away the entire fitting for the sake of an oring. Like throwing out an entire machine because it needs a new group seal.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 0626352829470 link=1312757520/7#7 date=1313101929
    it just seems incredibly wasteful to throw away the entire fitting for the sake of an oring. Like throwing out an entire machine because it needs a new group seal.
    Yes- a $20 mahcine that is ::)

The choice is yours Aaron. You can save yourself every cent by just opening the steam wand when you fire up your machine and waiting until you hear steam.

Quote Originally Posted by 5E7E6D70711F0 link=1312757520/7#7 date=1313101929
    Thats a terrible analogy ;D

Its entirely up to you. Replace the O-ring on a frequent basis or replace the anti-vac valve for a longer term fix.

How much is your time worth to you?

I know we are discussing something rather trivial, but wouldnt an o-ring last the same amount of time on both an old and new valve? Its the part that most likely to fail so lifetime should be the same for both options. Or are newer vac valves availble that work differently?

Personally I enjoy fixing things and making stuff work without replacing the whole thing, and on my machine I didnt see the point replacing the whole valve when it was only a perished 0-ring and everything else was fine. Hopefully the new o-ring will last another 10 years as did the original one.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 4E5D5B424E412F0 link=1312757520/10#10 date=1313117836
    wouldnt an o-ring last the same amount of time on both an old and new valve?

Well someone that repairs and services machines as part of his occupation reckons that replacing the O ring is a short term fix and thats good enough for me.

Its your time, spend it how you like 8-)

I understand someone fixing it for a living would rather replace the entire thing and not have to worry about it again, but I am just curious to know how its different thats all.

Cheers

Its absolutely no different. Provided that is the only thing wrong, an old anti vac valve with a new o ring will give the exact same amount of trouble free service as a new antivac valve with a new oring. Its a total false economy.
    And its no more time to replace the oring than to replace the entire valve.
    I did mine in five minutes and everything is running fine now

Quote Originally Posted by 1737243938560 link=1312757520/13#13 date=1316125114
    Its absolutely no different. Provided that is the only thing wrong, an old anti vac valve with a new o ring will give the exact same amount of trouble free service as a new antivac valve with a new oring. Its a total false economy.
    And its no more time to replace the oring than to replace the entire valve.
    I did mine in five minutes and everything is running fine now
    Sorry, youre wrong there. It takes longer to replace the o-ring than to replace the whole valve, since to do it properly you have to remove the valve first anyway. If the o-ring has been perished and leaking for long enough, the teflon seat (as fitted to the most common types of valve) will be damaged, not visibly, but damaged enough that the new o-ring wont seal as long as the previous one. And in some cases, despite everything but the o-ring looking 100%, it starts leaking again immediately, despite the new o-ring.

Considering that a new o-ring made of the correct grade of viton rubber actually costs several dollars, a complete new valve is only about $20, and if a customer has to pay $80 callout plus $80 per hour to call us back because the new o-ring started to leak prematurely, a bit of basic maths would tell you that by replacing the whole valve we are probably saving the customer more $ than we are costing them by fitting a whole new valve.

Of course, if youre doing it yourself the maths is different. But I wouldnt expect an o-ring bought for a few cents from a bearing shop to last very long.