Thread: 2nd hand vs new Giotto Premium Plus

2nd hand vs new Giotto Premium Plus

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

after some advice from experienced pro-sumer owners.

I am keen to purchase a new machine and my main focus has been the Giotto Premium Plus since this seems to be a great machine for the price and I like the appearance of it ;).

I have an opportunity to purchase new at a good price (circa $2500) or a second hand unit that is indicated to be in perfect condition (12 months old, filtered water and used for 15-20 cups / week for husband and wife at home) for about $450-$500 less.

I had not been considering a 2nd hand unit. What is the mileage like on these? Is it a sure thing if the exterior is unmarked and original condition? Im not sure about history of backflushing, descaling etc... waiting on some extra info for that.

Im in Brisbane too so would need to consider servicing/calibration etc?? since there wont be a warranty (though I can ship to places like Talkcoffee in a pinch).

Appreciate any advice :)

Re: 2nd hand vs new Giotto Premium Plus

Just thought Id mention I keep coming back to the Expobar Minore 3 as an option as well... havent found any decent comparisons and am not sure of where I can get a hands on play with these in Brisbane.

Any decent reviews that people can link for me (some comparison would be handy but not trying to drag my own thread off topic :P).

Why dont you send all the sponsors an email (their address is on the left towards the bottom) and ask who can be of assistance in Brisbane? It would probably be best to check them out in the flesh and have a play.

Cheers

Id jump on it if I was in your position. I love the look of the Giotto and it sounds like the price is right.

If its only a year old using filtered water, it should be okay. Just put it into a workshop for a service (they will give it a clean/descale, lubricate stuff & replace seals) for peace of mind.

Calibration shouldnt be too hard once the machine is opened (theyd just be adjusting the pump pressure, and pressurestat I presume - dont quote me on this)

Expobar Minore III (theres a IV version now I think) looks like a good on paper... double boiler, PID etc. I cant comment on this as I dont have first hand experience. I dont think they look as nice as the giotto.

Good luck, and let us know how you go (and post photos too!)

Quote Originally Posted by 696A7F79737B766A7B746E691A0 link=1312892636/3#3 date=1312938221
    If its only a year old using filtered water, it should be okay. Just put it into a workshop for a service (they will give it a clean/descale, lubricate stuff & replace seals) for peace of mind.
    To be honest I wouldnt bother doing that. If you did then your savings would be much less and you may as well get the new one for a couple of hundred more.

Its a good machine. IMHO they are better looking and better made/finished than the Minore. The only advantage the Minore has is that you can adjust the shot temperature, if that floats your boat then its worth looking at.