Thread: Rancilio S24 not turning on

Rancilio S24 not turning on

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, I wonder if you can help me with this one.
    For a while the water reservoir probe, or rather, the water level pressure switch it plugs into, has been playing up, falsely declaring that the reservoir is empty, and then at other times it is OK.

This week it died completely, so I got a new from Coffeeparts, and... nothing!

Any ideas? Im pretty desperate as I need it to cater for an event in just over a week.

Thanks

Simon

tek

Re: Rancilio S24 not turning on

Broken tube?

Have you tested the switch with a multimeter?

The other thing to check is that the plastic fitting at the tank end of the tube is fitted correctly to the plastic cross in the bottom of the tank. Sometimes if they are removed/refitted often enough they become a loose fit, and the buoyancy of the fitting overcomes its grip on the plastic. When this happens you are lucky to get a cupful of water from a full tank before the machine thinks the tank is low.
    Also you need to check for a split in the hose, letting the air pressure out.

this may seem obvious, but does the machine have a water tank? if so, if the water tank is not full enough to depress the low tank water level safety switch under it, that could be the cause. probably not it, but worth mentioning on the off chance.

Thanks, guys,
    Ive now got the problem sorted with the pressure switch but the pump and boiler are not being activated.

Anyhow, I am to electronics what the Marquis de Sade is to family daycare, so Ive booked it in with a technician! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1A3E24343F36570 link=1316051988/3#3 date=1316088755
    this may seem obvious, but does the machine have a water tank? if so, if the water tank is not full enough to depress the low tank water level safety switch under it, that could be the cause. probably not it, but worth mentioning on the off chance.
    Tanked Rancilio S24s dont use a microswitch activated by the weight of the water in the tank - they use a pressurestat activated by the air pressure in a plastic fitting in the tank that acts like a diving bell - the fitting is open at the bottom, is full of air and has a hose running from the top to the pressurestat. When the tank is full the water creates enough air pressure in the hose to trip the pressurestat- as the water level drops, the air pressure also drops until the pressurestat trips off and turns off the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 0D2F3227212E0714400 link=1316051988/5#5 date=1316174100
    Quote Originally Posted by 1A3E24343F36570 link=1316051988/3#3 date=1316088755
    Tanked Rancilio S24s dont use a microswitch activated by the weight of the water in the tank - they use a pressurestat activated by the air pressure in a plastic fitting in the tank that acts like a diving bell - the fitting is open at the bottom, is full of air and has a hose running from the top to the pressurestat. When the tank is full the water creates enough air pressure in the hose to trip the pressurestat- as the water level drops, the air pressure also drops until the pressurestat trips off and turns off the machine.

Ah yep same thing on old cimbali juniors. Neither solution is ideal in my opinion.