Thread: The Right Choice

The Right Choice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So just last weekend my father had his birthday, he loves his coffee and since he works rotations shifts where hes away at the mines then back for a week, hes constantly going out to our local gloria jeans and coffee club during the days hes home. Being the genius son that I am, Ive decided to purchase him a coffee machine for his birthday. However, I have a dilemma, as much as I love my coffee, Im completely useless when it comes to brands/machines. Ive got a 1-2k limit, and Im in need of some help deciding what machine to get him. I was suggested that nespresso machines were good, but the problem there is theyre limited to 12 flavours :-/ So I come to you, in need of help. Please help me decipher a coffee machine worth purchasing.

Thanks in advance,
    Corey :D

Re: The Right Choice

I guess the real question is, do you think hed be happy with a machine at home, or is there more to going out for a coffee than just the consumption of coffee? Id be concerned that you invest a lot of your money for something that might not get used.

Nah, he loves his coffee, like he ONLY goes out for a coffee, invites me with him then talks about how he should get a decent machine.

TC

Hi Corey and welcome,

If your dads a milky coffee drinker, I think a terrific combo within your budget would be the Breville Dual boiler and perhaps a nice grinder like the Compak K3T. This will give him the full kit and all hell need is a carton of milk to be up and running. Its a very easy machine and has terrific features. If required, you can save on the grinder by going with a lower spec. grinder like the Breville Smart grinder, but spend up if you can.

If hes an espresso drinker with the occasional milk coffee, a single boiler machine like a Rancilio Silvia or Lelit would be excellent as well. They do tend to have a steeper learning curve though.

There is plenty of collective expertise here and you are in good hands. Let us know a little more about your dads habits and the CS crew will be happy to assist ;)

Cheers

Chris

Thanks a buzzillion,

Dads croatian, so he loves his coffee super strong. Im talking Macchiatos double shot lates, anything strong and hell drink it. Im happy to go over the budget by as much as necessary, he likes his coffee really hot, and enjoys a fairly diverse range of beans but prefers spicier blends. Um? thats about as much as I can give you, but Im definitely willing to go that extra to for quality (or as much quality as I can get really).

Thanks again,
    Corey.

TC

Hi Corey,

Given that your dad likes milky, I think you should have a look at the Breville as a starting point. This will keep you on budget and the machine can produce cup results as good as machines which are fare more expensive.

Ideally, find an outlet which can demonstrate the machine to you (and your dad if its not a surprise present). This combo will deliver a brilliant result without blowing your budget.

If you do want to spend more on stainless steel bling, the skys the limit but Id say give the Breville a crack and see how you go from there.

Where are you located?

Chris

Thanks for the help Chris, were currently living on Bribie Island, Queensland. Im happy to travel anywhere really to get the supplies (wether it be the sunny coast, or the city). Im not really fussed about the aesthetics, just as long as its reliable and will produce a satisfying coffee. Its intended as a surprise, so I think taking dad with me is out of the picture, so ill just take you for your word.

Corey.

Nothing against the Breville, but for half the cost you can get a Sunbeam 6910 and grinder that will make a coffee as good as he has ever tasted time after time!

You are a very generous son - if you ever need to be adopted...

The trouble with the Silvia and Lelit, is that they don’t have the temp control as accurate as the Breville DB, so that leaves more to the operators skill and luck to get it right.

I have not used a Sunbeam 6910. It is a dual thermo block machine as against the dual boilers of the Breville. Boilers are used in the higher end machines, as they are believed to give better results.

I think that Nespresso is good if you want better than instant with no skill required to make reasonable coffee, but it is not as fresh as freshly roasted and ground on demand beans and the Nespresso coffee is more expensive.

I thought I was making good coffee with my previous machine but with my BDB it is so much better while using the same coffee beans.

The trouble with making better coffee at home is the difficulty of finding similar quality brews in most cafés.

Barry

Hi Corey,

You really need to play with a few machines to work out what you want. I use a Sunbeam EM6910 at work and have a Bezzera BZ99 at home. With a bit of practice the 6910 can produce great coffee but build quality is hit and miss. The work machine is looking a little shabby after 3 years but still works ok. Two friends that have the same machine have had* numerous repairs done. The BZ99 at home is bullet proof and knocks out great coffee. It does however have a narrower operation window i.e. it is more sensitive to changes in grind, tamp pressure etc.

There are a few sponsors in Brisvegas that can help out with hands on demos of machines. Ive bought equipment from Di Bella at Bowen Hills, Barazi at Coppers Plains and Supreme Roasters at Yatala. All gave me good service.

Cheers,
    Canelli

Thanks for the advice guys, Ill certainly look into the other models that youve suggested, but the Breville DB looks like the one for me right now.

Corey