Thread: New snob - Diadema Junior SA + Mazzer SJ

New snob - Diadema Junior SA + Mazzer SJ

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys Im Tim, a new snob with a lot to learn.

My previous coffee appliance for the last 7 years was a Breville Cafe Roma. Thermoblock. Wet steam. Pressurized baskets. Supermarket pre-ground. 10 second max extractions. I know. Appalling :(

Ive wanted a better machine for years but it never made it onto the to-do list until I had an amazing coffee experience recently which tipped me over the edge. Im not one for regular upgraditis and I try with anything I do to plan ahead, so seeing the amount of people that go the Silvia/Rocky or equivalent stepping stone then move on within 12 months, and the obvious expense in doing so, I decided to really think about what I needed. A HX was the best fit, I just had to arrange the sale of a kidney....

I had a good look and read lots, then spoke to Chris from Talk Coffee who has got to have the most neutral sales-person attitude in anyone Ive ever met. This neutrality was great, and after some soul searching and thinking about my needs I picked up a Diadema Junior SA.*

Wanting to come in above the Compak K3 level, I decided to go used for the grinder. Picked up vicroamers Mazzer SJ, and last night I made the best coffee Ive ever produced. 30ml in about 25 seconds, didnt taste too bad. Woeful microfoam but its a very different machine and I guess Ill learn. Its a good sign when the worst coffee you can make on the new gear is miles better than the best you could make with the old gear.

Big thanks to Chris for the advice, and thanks to Ted, Ill make sure I look after your old grinder.

TC

Re: New snob - Diadema Junior SA + Mazzer SJ

Congrats on the new gear Tim. I was a pleasure to meet you and I am glad youre happy with the Diadema.

I have often said that pictures rarely do these machines justice, but not in your case. The Diadema looks like liquid metal!* 8-)

Vicroamers Mazzer will be a perfect match as well.

Any hassles with milk texture- pop in some day and well turn some milk into silk ;)

I wish you many wonderful coffees.

Chris

Thanks Chris, photography is another hobby of mine, its nice to have a subject as beautiful as the Diadema to work with!

I improved my milk a little today but its got a long way to go, the 2 nozzles and power of the steam is a big challenge. If I cant sort it out I will have to take you up on your offer and get some help.

Got the milk perfect today, and with a nice shot made the best coffee Ive ever made. Loving this thing ;D

Very nice machine, congrats. why did you choose this machine? I have been trying to deciede between a VBM Domobar Jr or one of these.

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 455E5F485C00310 link=1319620040/4#4 date=1320003125
    Very nice machine, congrats. why did you choose this machine? I have been trying to deciede between a VBM Domobar Jr or one of these.
    I had the same dilemma and ended up with the VBM even thought it was around $200 more at the time. Both excellent machines and Im sure you would not be disappointed with either. I was told by the sponsor I bought off at the time that the VBM had a little more steam grunt.

You may as well buy the one you can get the better deal on, or the one you prefer the looks of.

that is one seriously beautiful machine and amazing photography.
    like a terminator that just transformed into a platinum espresso machine. :o

Quote Originally Posted by 3229283F2B77460 link=1319620040/4#4 date=1320003125
    I narrowed it down to the same 2 machines and was faced with the same choice you are. The factors that pushed me over the edge for the Diadema were price (got a great deal) and also read diadema use standard parts as opposed to VBM which have some proprietary parts which I was worried may be tough to source later in its life if the need arose. This may not be a factor but when the machines are both so good, little things are all that counts. The VBM does have more steam power & larger boiler capacity, but this was of no consequence to me. The Diadema is also built like a tank, Chris handed me a boiler and the drip tray, both weighed a ton and appear really impressively over-engineered.

Quote Originally Posted by 2C2D27342A2F35460 link=1319620040/5#5 date=1320025889
    Quote Originally Posted by 455E5F485C00310 link=1319620040/4#4 date=1320003125
    I had the same dilemma and ended up with the VBM even thought it was around $200 more at the time.* Both excellent machines and Im sure you would not be disappointed with either.* I was told by the sponsor I bought off at the time that the VBM had a little more steam grunt.

You may as well buy the one you can get the better deal on, or the one you prefer the looks of.*
    Yep, came down to mostly price for me, both machines really appeared excellent and both are highly regarded on here.

Quote Originally Posted by 33352E7E73460 link=1319620040/6#6 date=1320187879
    that is one seriously beautiful machine and amazing photography.
    like a terminator that just transformed into a platinum espresso machine. :o
    Thanks for the kind words.