Thread: Should I repair my Nuova Era Cuadra, or buy a new machine?

Should I repair my Nuova Era Cuadra, or buy a new machine?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So I have a Nuova Era Cuadra, purchased from Diamond three or four years back. From what I can tell, the parts in the older machine are not of the highest quality.

Last week it stopped heating, and the service techs have told me that a leak in the boiler led it to go dry, bust the boiler, blow the heating element, and break one of the circuits of the control unit (fill switch maybe?). Estimated repair cost is about $700 - half the cost of the machine.

Ive been assured that they will replace most of the guts with new, higher quality parts (especially a stainless steel cable, rather than the teflon coated one that burst).

I now need to make up my mind whether to have it fixed or not. I dont want to be in the same situation in a few years and am wondering whether I should spend the money and get a machine with better build quality - particularly as I could probably down-size with my use.

These days, I pull 6 or so shots a day and rarely steam milk. This leads me to think that perhaps I should look at a good single boiler. The VBM Piccolo looks good; or perhaps a PID Silvia. Id be looking to buy a good quality second hand machine, ideally.

I guess Im looking for advice - am I crazy not to fix the Cuadra for $700, leaving me with a relatively new HX E61 machine? Or should I cut my losses on that machine, spend a bit more, and get a smaller machine?

Whats stumping me is that I have no idea how long the Cuadra will last if I get it fixed. Is there a real difference in build quality between it and, say, the VBM Piccolo? Does this sort of catastrophic failure just happen every now and again, and should I just accept the risk and get it fixed? Are the parts in the Cuadras that are being imported these days much better than the build quality of the ones sold by Diamond?

Any advice appreciated - I really dont know whether Id be throwing good money after bad to get it fixed.

Re: Should I repair my Nuova Era Cuadra, or buy a new machine?

Well, first of all without knowing the details of what exactly went wrong, $700 is a reasonable quote for a new boiler, element and control board plus labour to fit them. So, based on that Id say definitely get the machine repaired - if then you decide to sell it, you can recoup the costs plus a bit to go towards your new machine.

From my experience the Cuadras are built well, but Im not sure what internal revisions have been done over time. Maybe get in touch with Margaret at Queensland Coffee Machine Services (the La Nuova Era importers) and get a second opinion on whether there have been any significant design revisions.

Major component failures definitely do happen, more often with electronics in a hot humid environment, but the circumstances you describe are pretty weird. For the boiler to run dry and then do an element, the autofill circuit or pump would have to fail first, unless the leak was massive but then were talking catastrophic failure of a boiler seam which would have been a spectacular event.

More likely would be runaway heating due to a failed pressurestat, which was not caught quickly enough to prevent serious damage to boiler/element.

Any more details on events leading up to it no longer heating?

Thanks, that sounds reasonable. I have been talking to QCMS, and they certainly seemed helpful and trustworthy. I dont have much more information - QCMS said that it looked like it had been leaking for a while, but I dont know enough about the internals to know the exact sequence of events. From my perspective, the machine was working until one morning I started it heating and came back under an hour later and found it only lukewarm, no longer heating.

Would it be pretty reasonable to expect that I will be able to sell the machine after repairs for more than $800? Im not sure what these tend to go for second hand, so Id be keen to hear some opinions - would you buy a second hand Cuadra that has had this sort of work done to it?

Yep, I would buy a second hand machine that just had major surgery if I knew the repairs had been carried out thoroughly and expertly, its not an uncommon thing.

In effect youre then selling a known quantity which is free from scale and mechanically sound - yes there is a chance it will need a pump or a pressurestat in the not too distant future, but for a second hand machine that is just the way it goes.

Just make sure they test pump pressure and maybe service the group and steam valve if needed, then youll have a very saleable machine. Im not sure exactly what youll get for it but you should have no problem recouping costs.

Brilliant, thanks a lot, Ill take your advice and get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by 4259535B6F525F5E54300 link=1320047560/1#1 date=1320048923
    ... based on that Id say definitely get the machine repaired - if then you decide to sell it, you can recoup the costs plus a bit to go towards your new machine.

Cuadra electrical fault?

Electrical fault?
    This morning I would turn on the coffee machine, but it did not start. It does not light up the lamp and the machine is completely silent.
    What could be wrong?
    Is this something I can fix myself?
    I live in Norway, Oslo. Does anyone know where I can get the machine repaired?

Should I repair my Nuova Era Cuadra, or buy a new machine?

Haakon, just make sure the button under the water tank is moving freely. It's a cut off switch for when your water reservoir runs out and if it hasn't pushed in properly it will remain off. Just give the water tank a bit of a push

Quote Originally Posted by Lasanmarcomelb View Post
    Haakon, just make sure the button under the water tank is moving freely. It's a cut off switch for when your water reservoir runs out and if it hasn't pushed in properly it will remain off. Just give the water tank a bit of a push
    Than you. I tried doing that, but itīs still dead. Does the machine have a fuse or something else i should check?