Thread: A good replacement for Wega Mininova?

A good replacement for Wega Mininova?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I am trying to find a good replacement espresso machine for our workplace.* We currently have Wega Mininova and a Mazzer Mini, but we are not too happy with Wega, mainly because it seems not to produce sufficient pressure at the group head so I have to be really careful with tamping otherwise Ill end up with out any coffee pouring out* (I bring my own freshly ground coffee daily, but Mazzer is set on a too coarse grind to avoid these problems by producing under extracted shots), breaks way too often and maintenance costs a lot, steam wand doesnt produce (or at least I was unable to) a good micro foam, rather lots of froth.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a similarly priced machine (less than 3k$) that would be an upgrade over Wega both in terms of* coffee quality (shots and micro foam milk) and maintenance? We have about 20* people using the machine, most of whom are not too passionate about coffee, so it should be as easy to operate as Wega.

Ill appreciate all of your comments.

Cheers!

Re: A good replacement for Wega Mininova?

The wega is as capable as any machine youll find under 3k. In terms of coffee quality, the wega is up there with as good as it gets. If you cant get microfoam with the steam wand, thats user error! If its low on group pressure, either the pump or the over pressure valve is faulty, or theres a blockage somewhere in the system. A service should solve that problem (might be time to use a different service agent if the machine is repeatedly costly and not running properly still)

However if youre after something sexier looking and youre spending works money and not your own, i guess you could make a switch...

Site Sponsor

Demq;

Probably if you want something volumetric at that price you have to go to Wega again. They are quiet good machines.

We have it on special at the moment happy to quote you.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163932885

Regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista

Where did you get your current one? Site sponsors here are usually more aware of calibrating machines they sell as opposed to getting them straight from the distributor where temp & pressure settings can be miles off.

Quote Originally Posted by 33323A26570 link=1320204385/0#0 date=1320204385
    I have to be really careful with tamping otherwise Ill end up with out any coffee pouring out
    If youre bringing fresh coffee and the office has stale beans, youre going to need to adjust the grinder courser (fresher beans grind better) and back again otherwise youll choke it more easily than the stale beans which need to be ground finer.

You could instead look at a nice doserless grinder with timer that measures the doses to eliminate inconsistency (would make it easier to get the right shot). Maybe even a click-tamper or click-mat so you dont over-tamp.

Then all you need to do is educate the cow-workers to buy fresh beans also, scoop them in the hopper on an as-needed basis...

Im just jealous you get a manual at work and not a super-auto :( want to swap with a Delonghi :D

Quote Originally Posted by 414941464C4A280 link=1320204385/3#3 date=1320217600
    aware of calibrating machines they sell as opposed to getting them straight from the distributor where temp & pressure settings can be miles off.
    The vendor has been chosen by the office and it might be the case that they didnt calibrate the group pressure correctly, they just like charging $100 for each visit :) .

Regarding coffee itself, I gave up convincing people to get good coffee, as most of them dont care enough to pay the extra 20c/cup and switching the beans in the grinder is impractical in the office setup. I had to do a bit of a sacrifice and grind my beans in the morning with my Compak at home and bring them in. The problem is no matter what I dont seem to be able to pull tight enough ristrettos.

Quote Originally Posted by 04050D11600 link=1320204385/4#4 date=1320219369
    I had to do a bit of a sacrifice and grind my beans in the morning with my Compak at home and bring them in. The problem is no matter what I dont seem to be able to pull tight enough ristrettos.
    thats probably the answer - after about 30s your grinds will start going stale. By the time you get to work and use them, theyre definitely past it.

I find its better to use beans that have been left in the open for half a day than grinds that have been left in the open for a few minutes. You may at least be able to get them to store the beans properly overnight so youre using semi-fresh beans... or buy a hand grinder for yourself for you work coffee.

Just some ideas...

Thanks for all the comments, they were very helpful! We just got the machine properly serviced by a good technician: got the group gasket and screen replaced and the group pressure increased to 9 bar :) On top of that, now we are getting the super beans from Coffee Barun instead of the burnt, nasty and stale shhhhstuff we used to order! The results are fantastic - I can pull really nice risrettos :D

So youre not interested in offloading? Darn the advice of CS... another bargain goes begging

Quote Originally Posted by 3D3C3428590 link=1320204385/6#6 date=1320934065
    The results are fantastic
    thats great to hear! In my experience it certainly is easier if everyone is using the same fresh beans, and storing them correctly. Saves choking on one shot and gushing on the next.

Hi there fresh here,

Just bought a mininova EVD with water reservoir for $770 AUD made about 20 coffees in total.

Can someone tell me if this is good value I had mixed price searches on new model.

:D

TC

Its probably pretty irrelevant now as you already have it.

If youre happy with what you purchased, then it was a good deal. :D

Quote Originally Posted by 4F505D5741240 link=1320204385/9#9 date=1323985083
    Hi there fresh here,

Just bought a mininova EVD with water reservoir for $770 AUD made about 20 coffees in total.

Can someone tell me if this is good value I had mixed price searches on new model.

:D

Yes, good value :P