Thread: Finally Plumbed In My Old Bezzera BZ40

Finally Plumbed In My Old Bezzera BZ40

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    About 6 months ago I bought an old (1996) Bezzera BZ40 (Bad Heating Element)

I finally replaced the heating element, plumbed it in, and got it up and running!* It is replacing my V3 Silvia.

I did a boiler and HX descale using about 2 tablespoons per gallon of Citric Acid (Used about 2 gallons of descale mix, and flushed about 4 gallons of fresh water through the machine)

Pic and video in my next post (I didnt have enough posts to post them in this one)

So far, I am loving the BZ40!* I do have a couple of questions/concerns for you guys though:

1. I believe I did a pretty thorough descale, however I am seeing alot of black and metallic particles coming from the group if I just flush it with no portafilter.* It also comes from the 3-way valve.* It is possible some of this is grinds, but I dont think it all is.* Is it safe to drink shots from this machine with those particles in it?* How do I get rid of them?

2. When I first flush out the steam want, to get the water out, I smell a metallic kind of smell coming from it.* It may be related to the problem stated above.* Is it safe to drink milk frothed from this machine?

3. When frothing milk, the volume/force of steam seems to lower noticeably within about 15 sec of steaming.* Is this normal?

4.* I dont know if you can tell from the video, but when the pump is running, I hear a weird squealing sound, is my pump maybe going bad?

Re: Finally Plumbed In My Old Bezzera BZ40

Here is a pic:

Also, here is a video of one of my first shots (Still need to dial in grinder ; Also beans are old)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDgPti_UjlI

Nice machine Willy.

Citric acid has a reputation for loosening scale, and then having bits stick in bad places.
    Since "real" descaler is so cheap, I recommend you do run-through or two with it. The particles are probably safe to drink, but may not be safe inside the machine. They could easily get stuck in the steam system, or in the tiny channels that circulate hot water to keep the head up to temperature.

Rinsing a boiler takes forever unless you have and use the drain plug. The metallic smell may be insufficient rinsing, or it may be the bare metal of the innards reacting with the water. It should decrease with time.

A number of machines do squeal when pumping, but keep a watch on it and see if it continues after the descale.

What is the quality of your water/filtration?

Greg

whiplash willy, I started a post about a week ago about putting descale through my machine. I have a Expobar minore and thought like all machines i have had in the past that it needed a descale every so often. Well, only now am i getting the taste of citric acid out of my machine. I have flashed it more than anyone could imagine. I called expobar australia, they said i should not have put any descale in my machine. I was not to know but now i have learnt.

You mentioned you get a metallic taste out of the wand? Well* the remaining taste of the citric acid i get is still out of the wand. After you purge the wand it is ok. My suggestion is to keep on flushing it to get the taste out.

I feel this is the reason you are getting a metallic taste.

Yes I also agree, very nice machine :) Good luck with everything :)

Chris

Are you certain it is the citric acid you are tasting?

If you have de-scaled the machine, it will mean nice pink/orange brass and copper on the inside. This leaves a rather nasty taste in the water, which only goes once there is a bit of a lining in the machine again. This usually takes a couple of weeks under light use.

In the meantime, I suggest a proper boiler flush. Most Bezzera boilers will have a bolt on the bottom, through which you can perform a complete flush. As a bonus, this should also allow for any remaining sediment to come out.

Caffeine Junky

When you rinsed out the descale did you raise the water level probe? If not only the bottom half of the boiler is being washed.

Thanks for all of your responses!*

Just to clear a few things up, I dont notice any weird taste in my shots or steamed milk.* I only see metal particles coming out of the 3-way and out of the group head when I flush.* My main concern is the safety of drinking a shot from the machine, but Greg said it is safe, so that is good.* I do notice a metallic SMELL from the steam wand, when I initially flush it before frothing.

My water quality is pretty good, but to be safe, I run the following Omnipure inline filter:

K2386KK Omnipure 6" GAC & Polyphosphate Filter

It does Scale and Particulate, this is all I could find to fit the tight space I have.* If anyone wants pictures of this setup, I can post them.

http://www.wateranywhere.com/Water_F...92ba37bdc6dd39

And also run a pressure regulator.

I will try running some "Real" descaler through, and see how that helps.* I chose Citric acid because I read somewhere that when descaling HX machines, it is hard to get out all of the Descaler, so Citric acid would be safer to drink then "Real" descaler.* My BZ40 does have a boiler drain valve (drains through the drain pan which is awesome!) so I guess it wont be too hard to get all of the descaler out.

Here is how I descaled my BZ40:

-I mixed 1 gallon of water and 2 tbsp of Citric Acid into a bucket, and put the water feed line in there.

-Filled the empty boiler with descaler (Heating element disconnected), then I raised the level sensor to fill the boiler further.

-Hooked up Heating Element, then ran descaler through the Group, steam wand, water valve, then let it sit for 30 min.* I then let some water out of the group, steam wand, water valve, and boiler, and let it refill, then waited 30 min again.* I did this about 3 times total.

-I then completely drained the boiler, and mixed another gallon of descaler mix, and repeated the above process.

-After that, I ran about 4 gallons of fresh water through the system, & completely draining the boiler twice

Thanks for the compliments, I am loving this machine so far!* I am able to make very constant shots with it, and am starting to get used to the steaming on it (It steams in a fraction of the time that my Silvia did!)

One thing to note, I am in the US, and this is a US version designed for 120v, so it only has one 1300w heating element, compared to what you guys get, which is 2 1300w elements I believe, but it still gets the job done well!

It does however seem to lose steam pressure about 15 sec into frothing, which seems weird to me.* I dont know if this is a limitation to the single heating element, or if something else is wrong with it.

It is too bad Bezzeras arent as big here in the US as they are in Australia! Parts and people who know how to get you the right parts are scarce over here. Oh well...it looks like I will be giving some of your site sponsors business!

I recount my recent descaling experience of BZ35.

After I bought the machine second hand, the flow through the group head was very slow. I started to take off pipes and tubes and putting them in a bucket of* Cafetto Varnish Descaler, from CoffeeParts.

I think the lable said to dissolve the descaler in hot water, to me, it meant hot water out of the tap and heat it up with an immersion heater to close to boiling point. I noticed that with this hot descaling solution, the black scale inside the water tank still took two or three goes of, 30-45 minutes immersions, to have it totally clean. Of course the tank was in a bucket totally submerged with the electric immersion heater, 2.4kw, doing its job.

When I couldnt see any more scale coming off the tank went through a couple of rinses with warm water. When the machine was assembled, I had no smell or taste present.

My point is: the descaling solution, Cafetto Varnish Descaler, worked better at elevated temperatures, and my tank required SEVERAL treatment to get it clean.

Quote Originally Posted by 4C4D434C7B4548504D50514041240 link=1322511481/7#7 date=1322918421
    My point is: the descaling solution, Cafetto Varnish Descaler, worked better at elevated temperatures, and my tank required SEVERAL treatment to get it clean.
    Very valid point. Depending on the level of scale, you may find you need to repeat treatment until no more particles come loose. Your initial treatment may have loosened the scale, but not cleaned sufficiently.

The other point is to make sure you take off the shower screen on the group head when flushing, otherwise larger bits may get stuck behind it.