Thread: New machine advice needed!!

New machine advice needed!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

After many years of faithful service (although a little shakey in the last few weeks) its with a heavy heart and a tear in my eye that my Gaggia Titanium (fully automatic) machine must be condemed to the scrap heap as it has had its day (wont even turn on now!).

Problem is, I need a machine fast, and dont have the time to do all the research and hunting - so Im reaching out to the members here to point me in the right direction.

Id love to ditch the automatic machine and move into the serious stuff, but the minister for war and finance has put her foot down and thus were getting a fully automatic one (something about space in the kitchen and her desire not to have to go through a complicated process to get a coffee first thing).

Can anyone recommend my desperate self a quality automatic machine? I dont really have an upper limit, just want a quality machine that will deliver as good a coffee as you can expect from an automatic machine (I drink espresso so thats the most important feature! :))

Appreciate your help in advance!

:)

Caffeine Junky

Re: New machine advice needed!!

Hi Rasta,

Its a damn shame you cant convince the other half to move to a manual machine.* Once you take into account all the cleaning involved with an automatic machine I dont think there is that much more work involved for a far better result.

You probably wont get a big response to your question, there is very little love for and discussion of superauto machines around here.* All I know is that Jura is generally considered to the be the best of a bad bunch.

Good luck.

Site Sponsor

Hi Rasta,

You could consider a manual machine that also takes ESE pods. Making a coffee with pods is as easy as making a cup of tea. Then you can use ground coffee for making a niiice espresso. You never know, the pod basket might be used less and less ...

Lelit include an E.S.E pod filter basket in with their machines. You may be able to find other brands that do the same thing.

charlie

Rasta

You could get something like the Expobar Office fully-auto (just over $2k). Its actually not fully-automatic despite the name (it is volumetric). You could pull the trick of saying you were tricked and it could be your ticket from the mediocre/good to heaven?

Do you have a decent grinder?

TC

I agree,

In this situation, Id be suggesting a timed grinder (K3T or similar) in conjunction with a volumetric machine. This brings things back to: shoot, texture and pour and will in general produce better results than most superautos. Excellence is there for the taking ;)

I dont think a single boiler machine is a good idea in this instance. I see a future of cooked elements....

Pod adaptors are around for e-61 macines as well. This may represent an acceptable compromise....

Quote Originally Posted by 62575A5D69755950505353360 link=1322597006/4#4 date=1322612969
    In this situation, Id be suggesting a timed grinder (K3T or similar) in conjunction with a volumetric machine
    Trouble with that solution is that a volumetric machine with a vibe pump doesnt give consistent volumes if youre not completely consistent with your grind, dose and tamp... so it would have to be a plumbed in rotary machine (another wifey hurdle)

i can say that the Saeco Royal professional doesnt make coffee i am interested in drinking.*

These cost around $2k and do a decent job but i found coffee from the sunbeam em6910/ 0480 grinder far superior

having said that customers who come here to work are usually more than happy with the Saeco result and the machine is actually VERY low maintenance.* Meanwhile i just have a Tea.

For a work situation these machines are perfect, as who wants people at work mucking around with a coffee machine instead of working?

Thanks for all the comments peoples, all fantastic help...

In a turn around from the last few weeks (and this morning since I posted in despair), Ive managed to get some movement from the boss on the fully automatic requirement... the size requirement still exists, but Im working on that.

Basically she doesnt want the bench filled with coffee gear. I think I could get her to agree to a machine the same size as the one weve got now with a small grinder.

Current machine dimensions are roughly 32w x 34d x 42h...

Im in love with the look of the VBM Junior and have seen the Breville DB which looks pretty good too...

Any other suggestions of stuff I should look at?

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 0E3D2F283D5C0 link=1322597006/7#7 date=1322651229

Im in love with the look of the VBM Junior and have seen the Breville DB which looks pretty good too...

Any other suggestions of stuff I should look at?
    I think the VBM Jr is an absolute gem of a machine. I owned one for a year and only sold it for financial reasons. For a short while I also owned a Rocket Giotto at the same time. Quality of shot and steam peformance are on par but the Jr does it by taking up considerably less bench space.

The problem with the Breville (for people like us) is that its one of the widest domestic machines around. Its not a particularly deep machine but that normally isnt the issue in most kitchens.

Hmm, if space is of the premium, perhaps looking into something like the Lelit Combi or the Breville BES860, where the grinder is incorperated into the body of the machine?

Certainly offers a small solution of sorts

Rasta,

if you would like to take it off line, my people will be able to help you with a quality auto if that is what you and your partner desire.* In addition to having some very good higher end machines, we also were able to buy a particular Jura model extremely well and are able to pass on considerable savings.

And of course if you do manage to get agreement from your other half that it will be ok to go conventional, we at CosmoreX Coffee are passing on some great deals to our clients at the moment so dont forget to give us a go. We have some really nice BFC / Diadema semi commercial machines on the bench waiting to go to happy homes* ;)

Mischa, I am very interested to learn how a conventional volumetric machine with a vibrating pump will not deliver consistent volume compared to a similar machine with a rotative pump, where the only difference is the type of pump. Ive never measured that closely, and given they are both volumetric and measure flow, I cant see why there should be any difference ie anything the machine with the rotative pump does or doesnt do, the one with the vibe pump should do the same????* :)

And if the one with vibe pump did vary the volume slightly with varying grind / dose / tamp (compared to machine with rotative pump), would it vary so far as to be significant enough to cause an upset?

ie if there is a difference, is it enough to cause someone real problems, given that if an operator varies their grind dose and tamp in a significant way, their coffees would already be doomed even before the group handle got anywhere near the machine?????

Rgdz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor

I think K3T grinders are quite tall arent they?

The Barazta Vario or Eureka Mignon might be better options. Barazta is probably smallest and easiest to use, and quiet.

The idea of a machine that can do pods as well is pretty tempting. Volumetric machines would be OK but youre just replacing one manual switch with a timed switch..it doesnt really change the overall process very much.

Grinding, tamping and steaming milk (then wiping down/rinsing) are all still necessary with all machines - unless you go with a pod system and/or drink black coffee.

And dont forget any decent machine must be switched on 30 mins before use, or be on a timer. (timer is cheap & easy to install).