Thread: Giotto dosing question

Giotto dosing question

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I watched Scottie whatisface a couple of days ago doing his very helpful guide to using a Giotto. The tip on cleaning the machine with a blind filter is a great one and thats replaced my usual brush method.
    However, his dosing routing of grinding till almost full than tapping twice to settle, followed by more grinding than tapping twice before levelling with one of his tools leaves the coffee quite high in my experience. I have one of his tools and Ive been following the routine and the coffee has been excellent. The level the coffee is at leaves just enough room for a Bogav tamper to sit flush with the top of the basket.
    My issue is this, after pulling the portafilter out there is some water on top of the puck and a shallow imprint of the screen head. Does this mean I should be dosing less coffee or is this generally thought of as acceptable?

Re: Giotto dosing question

Well now.... so young Scottie is making money selling a technique that myself and others have been using for years ;D ;D ;D

Sounds quite normal, and if you did everything correctly that little pool of water is sucked fairly quickly into the puk which remains firm and "dry" anyway. If that is whats happening I wouldnt be dosing any less except if for academic purposes, you wish to experiment and see what kind of results you get from changing your grind / dose / tamp.

The character in the resulting coffee is more important than some of the things you might see when you remove the group handle.

Hope that helps,
    Attilio

That did help Attilio, thanks for the advice.

Ive recently changed my dosing method having bought one those new baskets where all the holes are the same and are checked by Trappist Monks and blessed by Pagan Priests before being shipped out. I also bought one of those dosing tools that Scottie whatisface uses. I now dose, tap tap, dose, tap tap, and level and judging by the coffee its working a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2A2F2C3939283F2128344D0 link=1323431150/2#2 date=1326541192
    That did help Attilio, thanks for the advice.

Ive recently changed my dosing method having bought one those new baskets where all the holes are the same and are checked by Trappist Monks and blessed by Pagan Priests before being shipped out.
    Can I ask where you got your new basket from and which one specifically? We got a new Giotto at Christmas and Ive seen the La Marzocco basket article in Bean Scene and Im keen to try one but unsure which one I need for my machine (we only use the double basket currently)

Cheers.

Im sure Im not the first to point it out, but there is a video of Scottie Callaghan (yes, I think whatisface suits him better!) - quick search on Youtube -* in competition and he doesnt use his own tools ... or any other levelling tool for that matter! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 2A2434252B322234470 link=1323431150/4#4 date=1326776763
    Im sure Im not the first to point it out, but there is a video of Scottie Callaghan (yes, I think whatisface suits him better!) - quick search on Youtube -* in competition and he doesnt use his own tools ... or any other levelling tool for that matter! ;)
    Depends on when the video was taken? Might have been before he released/designed the tools?

World Barista Champs June 2010 ... he came 3rd ... imagine, if he had just levelled ... ;)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 57594958564F5F493A0 link=1323431150/6#6 date=1326789635
    World Barista Champs June 2010 ...
    I watched that live in London and did mention at the time that the tools were no where to be seen.

I too liked the irony.
    :)