Thread: Domobar Super OPV

Domobar Super OPV

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    Im new to this forum but been a serious coffee lover, enthusiast and critic for many years.
    Ive had my Domobar for approx 7 years making at least 3 coffees per day.

For a while now Ive had trouble maintaining constant brew pressure when pulling a shot. The only way to get steady pressure is to adjust the OPV so that the brew pressure is way past the ideal 9-10 bar.
    When trying to adjust for the ideal 9-10 bar, the pump just kicks instead of steady vibrating sound and the pressure badly oscillates from very low to 9-10 bar with each kick.

After much research, Ive removed the OPV screw to expose the spring & piston. The spring seems a bit compressed & the rubber on the end of the piston looks a bit shabby.
    Does anyone know where to get a replacement piston & spring or complete OPV?

As an alternative, Ive been thinking about converting the machine to rotary pump and doing away with the OPV.
    Can anyone recommend a small rotary pump/motor?

Regards
    F

Re: Domobar Super OPV

Its probably worth contacting coffeeparts as a starting point. If you cannot find what youre after their web site, give them a call.

thanks fatboy,
    They dont have the OPV part on the website, but called them & was told they will be in stock next week.
    I also enquired about a suitable rotary pump & motor but they only carry commercial pumps/motors that are way to big & expensive for what I want.
    If anyone can recommend a small pump/motor preferably to fit inside the case, it would be much appreciated.

You wont find a single phase AC motor that is capable of starting with the kind of torque required to drive a rotary pump that is A. smaller than the type of pump motor that is standard on commercial machines and B. costs less than the entire machine is worth :)

Thats sort of why the vibe pumps are so prolific in domestic machines - they are small, cheap, reliable and have very predictable flow rates and pressure curves.

TC

The solution to this one would be to sell it and wait for the release of the PID dual boiler rotary pump version. Way better than spending big money on retrofits.

Thanks for the advise guys,
    Selling the machine has crossed my mind a few times in the past when looking to upgrade. What do you think this machine would be worth approximately?

If the machine is the same as this one, then probably about $1000-1100.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1321878509

It is the fully electronic version of the one you posted, exactly like this,

At a guess Id say somewhere in the $1650-1850 price range then, depending on the buyers in the market at the time and how urgently you need to sell it. Nice machine by the way!

Thanks Pretzal,
    After I replace the OPV & its making perfect espressos again, I might take some detailed photos inside & out, do a for sale post and think about a machine to upgrade to.
    I have considered upgrading in the past, but failed to find the right machine for me that is better than the VBM in regards to quality, features etc.