Thread: Machine for Office of ~30 people

Machine for Office of ~30 people

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all
    Were looking for a coffee machine to service an office of approx 30 people. (say 50-80 cups a day)
    Looking for something fairly automatic, that has options of espresso/FW/cap etc
    Needs to grind beans on an as-needs basis.
    Must have decent milk froth
    Previously had a Royal Cappuccino, which has just gone to the big kitchen in the sky.
    No pods allowed!
    Would love your input/ideas.
    Happy to spend up to $5k
    Thanks ;)

Re: Machine for Office of ~30 people

An office I used to work at had a Jura fully automatic that was pretty good, but I cant recommend any automatic milk texturing.
    Nobody ever wanted to be the one to clean the milk system daily, so if the two people who actually did it were away, the milk would curdle in the lines overnight.
    The texture was also inferior to doing it manually with the steam wand.
    We eventually gave up on the automatic milk texturing completely and people were happy to manually texture milk.
    Just make sure that it can steam and make coffee at the same time. We would go in groups of four or five and someone would do a big jug of milk for everyone while the espresso shots were made.

I think the Jura was leased, and it was similar to the Impressa X9 currently on Juras website.

Quote Originally Posted by 0227282F2D27460 link=1326765886/0#0 date=1326765886
    Hi all
    Were looking for a coffee machine to service an office of approx 30 people. (say 50-80 cups a day)
    Looking for something fairly automatic, that has options of espresso/FW/cap etc
    Needs to grind beans on an as-needs basis.
    Must have decent milk froth
    Previously had a Royal Cappuccino, which has just gone to the big kitchen in the sky.
    No pods allowed!
    Would love your input/ideas.
    Happy to spend up to $5k
    Thanks* ;)
    Not sure if any decent coffee machines fit your budget, Id hit the SiteSponsors@coffeesnobs.com.au email and try asking the sponsors about it? Some of them have experience in setting up for offices and the like

Though, Youre probably not going to get very much change outta your $5k no matter what you do.

TC

From what I can see, to do it properly with a machine which is rated to staff numbers, youd be looking at a Jura X9 or better. Looks like youd get little change out of $8k.

We ran a Jura Z5 (aprrox $3.5k at the time) on an office of 20 - 35 people (fluctuated). When I left it was over ~10,000 drinks and still going strong. At its peak we did a kg per week.

I was one of the coffee nazis though - we had a cleaning roster with names and everyone who drank coffee had their name on the list so it was cleaned every day. We werent cleaning one little part properly and the milk system blocked up one day and an internal pipe blew off. We also ran a few internal traning demos based on the manual (you think people could read it...) and I made some simpler instructions that were pasted next to the machine. There was lots of cleaning, and consumables (tablets, milk cleaner, etc) and we ran every clean that it asked us to, and followed the cleaning schedule promptly.

It made worse coffee than my Breville 820 and 450 grinder, even with a sponsors beans and set up as best as I could, but it was loved by most people in the office.

It was also too easy to change the settings without realising - the water and milk volumes were always changing for each button, so I always ended up timing it myself anyway.

But then, Im fussy, which is why Im here! Some of these issues you might not notice. Some of the sponsors definitely have good experience with these things though, so ask them for sure!

If I was to do it again, I would recommend a good timed-doserless grinder with a volumetric single group HX or DB, maybe even a click-mat, good tamper, and some cleaning extras (brushes, microfibre cloths etc). I might even hide the single spout and single basket, or just use the single spout for the blind filter, to remove the inconsistencies that might incur... but not everybody is in for that :)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 767E76717B7D1F0 link=1326765886/4#4 date=1326853329
    We ran a Jura Z5 (aprrox $3.5k at the time) on an office of 20 - 35 people (fluctuated).....At its peak we did a kg per week.
    You sure Iain? 20 staff, 2 cups each/day 7g singles only would still be more like 3kg?* Alternately, nobody liked the coffee and they all went elsewhere??

Nah.
    20 staff, probably could only bear one a day from the machine. 5 days a week.

700g

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 575045535E486E00080808310 link=1326765886/6#6 date=1326863125
    Nah.
    20 staff, probably could only bear one a day from the machine. 5 days a week.

700g
    More like 1 staff member, 1 per week = 7g ;D

Oi, go easy fellas! :)

20 staff != 20 coffee drinkers, and 1 coffee drinker != 1 cup per day...

Quote Originally Posted by 045B43555E5559505053535B5758360 link=1326765886/5#5 date=1326862388
    You sure Iain? 20 staff, 2 cups each/day 7g singles only would still be more like 3kg?
    didnt your teacher tell you to show your working?* How did you get 3kg? :P

20 workers * 2 cups * 9g * 5 days = 1800g per week.* In fact there were probably on average 15 person-double-cup-drinkers^ per day = 1350g when everyone was in the office, so I wasnt too far off.

And thats assuming the Jura made 9g singles and 18g doubles, which I have no idea about in actuality.

So while on some days we might have made 50 shots, on some days we might have made 10, due to the transient nature of our workforce since all our projects were between 5 hours drive and 25 hours flight away.

Couple that with my bad memory, and 1kg / week isnt sounding so bad...

My point was not to accurately calculate the amount of coffee required, but to show that the machine I had experience with, which isnt too far off the machine the OP described, was not crash hot at making coffee, but still satisfied most of the people most of the time. :)

^ some drank instant, some drank tea, some drank coke, some drank 5 double shots a morning...

TC

The critical thing here is that each Jura model is rated to a number of cups per day and assuming a max of 100 cups/day, the website recommended the X9. You underdo it, you get (more frequent) breakdowns and higher service costs. As for the effect on warranty, youd need to speak with a Jura selling sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by 3E363E393335570 link=1326765886/4#4 date=1326853329
    It made worse coffee than my Breville 820 and 450 grinder, even with a sponsors beans and set up as best as I could, but it was loved by most people in the office.
    The Jura I had in my office wasnt doing amazing coffee either, but it was good enough, frequently better than the cafe nearby.
    I wouldnt want to be drinking straight espresso from it, but in a latte/cap it was alright, and as you said, it passes the taste test for the average punter (especially when the alternative is instant :P)

The X9 is over budget, but if you can look into leasing options it may be affordable.

I believe my office used (site sponsor) Cosmorex, and as their website explains at http://www.cosmorex.com.au/our-services/coffee-buy-the-cup the lease arrangement is that you pay by the cup with the coffee, machine etc all included.
    Surely there are other companies offering a similar service outside of Canberra.

The client I am working at today uses an X7.

The coffee is not terrible but certainly a far cry from the Giotto 8-)

The brew blondes from the get go and goes watery in about 7 seconds from hitting the button so definite no for espresso IMO.

As for milk, well its a pump and takes about 25-30 seconds to heat 400 ml of milk. So not terrible but not going to blow your micro foam socks off. That said I di manage microfoam as it has a traditional steam wand.

P.s. Whatever the case make sure who ever is serving your coffees knows how to use it. The receptionist offered to make me a coffee but after I saw her bob the milk up and down I thanked her and declined and told her I was a bit of a hobbyist with my coffee, which she replied oh thats nice do you have a Nespresso?* ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 5A514B504A55575E390 link=1326765886/11#11 date=1327014377
    told her I was a bit of a hobbyist with my coffee, which she replied oh thats nice do you have a Nespresso?
    The biggest thing Ive learnt is that its all about expectations. I turned out 2 weeks worth of pre-ground thermoblock produced flat steamed drinks for the family and got comments like "thats the best coffee Ive tasted"... (and trust me, theyre not into humouring me for the sake of it)

Apologies to Danika if that was too far off-topic, but I think if they were happy with the Saeco, theyll be more than happy with the Jura :)

Hello Danika and welcome to CS* :)

I believe we will be able to help....off site as we do a fair bit of "office coffee".

A lot is dependent (quality of brew) on the set up of the machine ie your supplier.

The Jura X9 is about the correct size for the number of coffees you expect to make (ie capacity), but the milk circuit is a little "tricky". We can do something better.....but you need to forget machines priced at around the level of your previous machine and sorry, but 5k also doesnt quite cut it.

You will need to advise what locality you are in. Please direct your enquiries to contact@cosmorexcoffee.com.au and the appropriate person from my happy little company will reply.

Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.