Thread: Giotto upgrade to proelind

wimpyee

Giotto upgrade to proelind

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi - Ive been a long term lurker but never had much to say :)

Alas, Im now at a bit of a loss on how to proceed.

My rather old giotto needs a control board change as the gicar has given up the ghost. I could probably replace the relay but my "habit" doesnt have that much patience.

I have the ProElind brain and wiring loom. Unfortunately, my local vendor, who provided great service 15+ years ago, is no longer the same friendly face and is being quite difficult.

If it wasnt for the condescension (and trouble of removing plumbing/etc), Id let them do the work.

The part of replacing the wiring loom that I need help with is the pressurestat. In the proelind configuration, the power to element is no longer controlled by the brain. I need help confirming that Ive wired it correctly.

Ive heard that for "some reason", rocket doesnt want wiring diagrams published. I respect that, but still wish for some help.

Any ideas?

TC

Re: Giotto upgrade to proelind

Quote Originally Posted by 5E404459504C4C290 link=1334021741/0#0 date=1334021741
    Ive heard that for "some reason", rocket doesnt want wiring diagrams published. I respect that, but still wish for some help.
    Gday and welcome to CS wimpyee,

That reason is that they dont want to be held responsible for unqualified persons wiring their machines dangerously or incorrectly!

It seems you have sourced a board (which you will need) and a loom (which you wont need unless your machine is wired with an old RL-30 Gicar board.

Might I suggest the best source of information might be the organisation from which you sourced the parts?

If you are unsure of what youre doing, do pay a tech for the 20-30 minutes of his time this job will take. Better safe than sorry. You will also retain the 3 month warranty provided by the parts supplier on the board if you have it professionally installed.

Cheers

Chris

wimpyee

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the response.

The challenge in this case is that quality of support from the local source has declined.* They are being quite difficult with respect to helping with these questions. Additionally, I have had issues with their service when they do the work. So the situation is in a sort of no mans land. They arent being helpful about me doing it, and they not reliable when doing the work themselves.

It seems peculiar to me that information about automobiles is readily available even though poor work by unqualified individual arguably exposes greater risks. Anyway, it is their right to act as they wish.

Thanks,
    Wim

TC

Happy to do it for you wimpyee (if youre in melb that is...)

C

Quote Originally Posted by 312F2B363F2323460 link=1334021741/2#2 date=1334025219
    It seems peculiar to me that information about automobiles is readily available even though poor work by unqualified individual arguably exposes greater risks
    in Australia in 2011:
    number of passenger cars sold: 12,500,000 [1]
    number of espresso machines sold: 280,000 [2] (including pod, autos, and non-serviceable cheapies).

Not to mention cars have many lifetimes of "DIY" behind them before they were even cars, you had to be able to fix your own wagon wheel if it fell off...

Anyhoo, never let it be said that I dont say anything helpful - I would encourage you to find a new trustworthy service agent. They do exist. There are many here that even give you free advice (even in this thread!) and have excellent workmanship.