Thread: Best machine for steaming?

Best machine for steaming?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all, Im looking at upgrading from my silvia (as you do) and wanted some advice on the best machine type eg a db or hx, and given my limited budget Im wondering if the expobar office would do a good job? I enjoy a silky smooth microfoam laden latte as is found in only the best cafes, iv noticed the LMs and synessos are generally the only ones that can get that amazing silk, can I produce this at home. I mean I can produce latte art-able milk on my Silvia but its not as silky as the good cafes. So is it even possibly from a home machine? Please someone enlighten me :p

TC

Re: Best machine for steaming?

Quote Originally Posted by 715F485249481E11260 link=1334832769/0#0 date=1334832769
    Hey all, Im looking at upgrading from my silvia (as you do) and wanted some advice on the best machine type eg a db or hx, and given my limited budget Im wondering if the expobar office would do a good job? I enjoy a silky smooth microfoam laden latte as is found in only the best cafes, iv noticed the LMs and synessos are generally the only ones that can get that amazing silk, can I produce this at home. I mean I can produce latte art-able milk on my Silvia but its not as silky as the good cafes. So is it even possibly from a home machine? Please someone enlighten me :p
    Only one solution for it then. Youll just have to buy a LM or Synesso. Do make sure it has the right group handle nut though- or it wont work properly. ;)

For the most part steaming is a matter of technique. When I owned a Silvia some years ago I was able to get perfect microfoam just as you described; very latte-artable. On my current lever machines I can do the same; perfect micro-foam (albeit not in commercial quantities because of their small boilers).

So to answer you question, you dont need a La Marzocco to get good micro-foam. Any decent HX machine would suffice, Exporbar Office included. Just find a machine within your budget and practice your technique.

ok thanks for the replys ill go back to the wood shed..

And a 1 hole steam tip usually helps as well.

I know this sounds bias but Ill explain my point of view.

I have a Giotto and its extremely easy to hit the sweet spot with

- Good capacity due to its 1.8L boiler and sufficient steam for the home environment e.g. 450 milk at any one time for say 2 cups in say the 18-22 second mark but controllable for say 200ml worth of milk in 12-14 seconds

- Good placement of wand and height from drip tray, lets you rest your milk jug on the drip tray. This is a real benefit as a steady jug really aids bubble free milk

Vs. the Oscar I have used

- Lots and lots of steam which sees 450ml of milk done in about 15 seconds and 200 ml in less than 10. This is great but much harder to handle. 4 hole tip 2l boiler vs. 2 hole tip 1.8l boiler

- Restriction in height to place jug on drip tray in which you need to manoeuvre the jug to achieve the right result, swirl etc.

Really need to understand your requirements as something that will blow the milk sky high may not suit small quantities of milk on the flip side babys breath doesnt compliment techniques like the KK method which make stretching milk a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by 1937203A212076794E0 link=1334832769/0#0 date=1334832769
    Hey all, Im looking at upgrading from my silvia (as you do) and wanted some advice on the best machine type eg a db or hx............iv noticed the LMs and synessos are generally the only ones that can get that amazing silk....

Rubbish....

.....best to try not to believe everything you find on the world wide web.....

There is so much in working out an appropriate technique for any particular different espresso machine and the way it performs, together with the particular supply of milk, that your question cant be answered.

Choose a good espresso machine of whatever brand you like, in your budget, and learn how to use it to best effect. Also, book a lesson, but remember whatever you learn in that lesson cant help but be specific (in terms of learning a particular technique), to the machine and millk supply used in the lesson. But it will give you some insights.

Hope that helps.

I could make superb micro foam with a saeco via vinezia which pretty much renound for being the worst machine to steam with. I struggled for a good month with my la pavoni but now its do simple and I dont even know what I have done different!
    It is all practice and persistence. Also a 1 hole steam tip on the pavoni.....