Thread: Bezzera BZ40 - Pump Noise

Bezzera BZ40 - Pump Noise

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My old Bezzera BZ40 is making a weird noise when it pumps water, and when the pump stops. The noise while the pump is on is only apparent when there is no pressure at the grouphead (When the portafilter is off). The noise when the pump stops happens whether there is a portafilter on the grouphead or not.

The Noise while the pump is on, is kind of like a constant squeeking/hissing sound.

The noise when the pump is turned off is a short squeek type sound.

I have a video that shows both noises here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5omYm...T12VMeweEy22A=

Do you guys think this is an issue with the motor or the pump, or something else?

Is this really bad, and need to be addressed right away?

Any tips on what to look at, or how to fix?

Other then this noise, the BZ40 works perfectly! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Bezzera BZ40 - Pump Noise

Im not sure if your video picks up the sound youre hearing (or it could just be me trying to listen to it with background noises)

However, squeak suggests a bearing/bushing being unlubricated/dying, Possibly?

Either that, or your Bezzera has an infection of mice, Id suggest turning the machine off, Let it cool down, and use cheese to entice them out of the casing ;)

That is not the pump
    Its a valve in the water/brew circuit

It also happens after a chemical back flush and it all goes back to normal after a few shots as the valves get lubricated with coffee oils

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 7B5F565655556F7B5F435D5F300 link=1334863923/2#2 date=1334875035
    That is not the pump
    Its a valve in the water/brew circuit

It also happens after a chemical back flush and it all goes back to normal after a few shots as the valves get lubricated with coffee oils

KK

I have been using this machine for about 1 year now, however it is a pretty old machine (At least 10 years old) It has always made this noise, but it seems to be getting worse. I have also noticed that when brewing a shot, that sometimes water will spatter out of the 3-way valve, into the drip tray, when turning off the brew button.

I did a backflush about 1 month ago, and still had the noise after that. Maybe I need to do a better, more thorough backflush?

If that doesnt help, do you think I need to remove the valve for a more thorough cleaning, or possibly replace it?

Thanks for your help on this!

Quote Originally Posted by 1B24253C202D3F24131B252020354C0 link=1334863923/3#3 date=1334954372
    I have been using this machine for about 1 year now, however it is a pretty old machine (At least 10 years old) It has always made this noise, but it seems to be getting worse. I have also noticed that when brewing a shot, that sometimes water will spatter out of the 3-way valve, into the drip tray, when turning off the brew button.
    With regards to occasional water overflow from the 3 way valve its probably your grind and tamp
    If you choke the machine it will do it because its what its supposed to do

Quote Originally Posted by 1B24253C202D3F24131B252020354C0 link=1334863923/3#3 date=1334954372
    I did a backflush about 1 month ago, and still had the noise after that. Maybe I need to do a better, more thorough backflush?
    I generally do 2 back flushes with the second using half the detergent
    Then follow up with lots of water flushes

If that doesnt help, do you think I need to remove the valve for a more thorough cleaning, or possibly replace it?

Thanks for your help on this!
    Yes its possible if not probable that it needs a manual clean
    I would do it
    At least you will know the condition and decide if a new one is needed

KK

I backflushed and descaled my machine (with citric acid) and the noises went away for about a week then came back. I think I will have to remove my 3way valve like KK suggested. I just wanted to confirm that part #5 (17 and 3) in the following diagram is the valve I need to remove for the manual clean. I am guessing I should remove part #17 from the relay (#3) and manually clean part #17? Is there anything I need to be careful with/aware of when doing this?

Also, some places recommend Citric Acid for descaling, since it won't harm you if you can't completely remove it. I know this site doesn't recommend you use Citric acid. What is safe that I can use for mild to moderate scale? KK, what do you use to descale your BZ40. Any tips on checking for scale buildup other then removing the heating element?