Thread: How to assess 2nd hand machines

How to assess 2nd hand machines

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello folks,

Found a secondhand Domobar Jr for sale (under a year) and was wondering how I should assess it? What else should I add to the following?

1. Take out mushroom from group to look for scale
    2. Make a coffee with it
    3. Check owners service receipts (done March 2012)

Does 2/3rds of retail price seem a reasonable offer?

Lastly, does anyone know if the warranty will transfer to a new owner on these?

thanks in advance

Re: How to assess 2nd hand machines

Firstly with these sort of machines as opposed to an appliance you cant really go wrong. If its under a year old, unless its been treated like crap it really wont cost very much even if it needs a major service to bring it back to brand new. Theyre very simple machines and not much expensive goes wrong with them. So AT WORST it will cost you about $250 to bring it back to life - assuming its been neglected.

If its under a year old and been looked after, and had a service in March 2012 it should be ok.

If you have access to it and can make a coffee and take out the mushroom etc then thats even better.

2/3 retail is reasonable should be somewhere between $1500-$1600.

To give you an example I own one which I am very fussy about. My friend also has one which is 16 months old and she NEGLECTS hers. Never done a chemical backflush etc. Whilst thats not ideal she just had a full service for $230 and now its like brand new! So they can take a lot of punishment and still be ok.

Not sure about warranty. Should be transferable I would think.

Thanks Bennett - just a matter of price then, the current price is $1800 (negotiable), so unless they are happy drop it a fair bit, I may as well buy a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by 5559565D515A40340 link=1336172413/2#2 date=1336189834
    Thanks Bennett - just a matter of price then, the current price is $1800 (negotiable), so unless they are happy drop it a fair bit, I may as well buy a new one.
    Yeah, current street price is $2090, so at $1800 I would buy a new one ;)

Ok - got the price down to $1600 including a bottomless group handle w/basket as well as all original group handles and packaging

Im going to check it out this weekend.

The machine is now out of warranty - was serviced in March - is their much that could go wrong with one of these and it still function?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 676B646F636872060 link=1336172413/4#4 date=1336477367
    The machine is now out of warranty - was serviced in March - is their much that could go wrong with one of these and it still function?
    The weakest link in my experience is the plastic screw Mater pressurestat that some shipped with. Later build switched to Jaeger and then to commercial sirai.

If you see the mater, it may be prudent to factor in a replacement in the short to medium term. They take roughly 20 min to do. The upgrade to Sirai is more expensive and time consuming.

Good luck...

Chris

thanks Chris - will ask the owner to check this for me

Howd you tell which pressurestat it has? Whatre the implications of the builds before sirai?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 756677717A7D6071140 link=1336172413/7#7 date=1337496308
    Howd you tell which pressurestat it has? Whatre the implications of the builds before sirai?
    Hello arcenite,

There have been a number of failures of the earlier Mater pressurestats. The Jager is excellent (read expensive). Current commercial Sirai models are great as well. As per my earlier post, youd be prudent to factor in a replacement of the Mater if present. They are otherwise identical. The Domobar Junior goes in my car when I travel.

Retrofit of the Sirai to earlier Juniors requires modification and new pipes, so is not really practical as it takes a good hour of techie time. Stuff needs to move and/or be reorientated.

Thanks again Chris! xD