Thread: Differences between old and new Giotto

Differences between old and new Giotto

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Can someone (i.e. Chris :)) detail the differences between the new ECM Giotto and the old model? Both cosmetic (how to pick the difference to the eye) and technical. Also be interested to know the date of release of the new model, any price difference and whether the changes affect whats in the cup.

Thanks.
    Greg

Re: Differences between old and new Giotto

Sounds like a great question to ask someone who is expecting a delivery of new giottos...lucky Im not a cynic!

Greg, you might like to tell us what the difference is between an old PT and a new one?

ps. am over the moon with my giotto thanks Chris - am really just getting the hang of it, though love it...am a little concerned by the amount of caffeine Ive had in the past few weeks.

(No a Giotto owner)

But IIRC the new one has silver disc inserts in the steam and hot water valve handles and the pressure gauge is a semi-circle not a full circle.

Old one below..

and the switch is set beside the light - if I could wish for a design mod it would be having the steam wand on the r/h side

The giotto premium has a larger boiler, different steam tip, the insulated steam wand that pivots about a ball joint (instead of the un-insulated wand that can only pivot in one plane), different gauge and different knobs. Im not sure, but I think that the old giotto might not have the steel panel over the boiler. However, this isnt specific to the giotto; I gather that it is now an essential safety feature on all machines, just to make it more difficult to service ... and safer, I guess ;P

In terms of in cup difference, Id be surprised if there were any difference after changing to a better steam tip. However, the premium would be nicer to work on.

Cheers,

Luca

Flo

Matt your pic is of a Classic Giotto. If you have a look at the Giotto pic 2mcm has in the Talk Coffee sponsors page, it is the Premium Giotto...

I was told that the panel above the boiler was added to protect the electrics from water if someone put wet cups on the cup warmer tray.

And yes Luca, the premium is nice to work on...I love my Giotto! *;)

Quote Originally Posted by Flo link=1173412852/0#5 date=1173431032
    Matt your pic is of a Classic Giotto. If you have a look at the Giotto pic 2mcm has in the Talk Coffee sponsors page, it is the Premium Giotto...
    In my best Andy voice from Little Brittain: "Yeah I know". By old I meant classic. Still I would be happy with either though :) Are the classics still available new? I would figure the premium would be the superseding model.

So...?

Classic = Old model
    Premium = New model

I thought the new model was quite new, as in, a month or two; Premiums have been around for a while as far as I know. :-/

TC

Quote Originally Posted by luca link=1173412852/0#4 date=1173425877
    The giotto premium has a larger boiler, different steam tip, the insulated steam wand that pivots about a ball joint (instead of the un-insulated wand that can only pivot in one plane), different gauge and different knobs. *Im not sure, but I think that the old giotto might not have the steel panel over the boiler. *However, this isnt specific to the giotto; I gather that it is now an essential safety feature on all machines, just to make it more difficult to service ... and safer, I guess ;P

In terms of in cup difference, Id be surprised if there were any difference after changing to a better steam tip. *However, the premium would be nicer to work on.

Cheers,

Luca
    The "classic" model was discontinued 2 years ago and is no longer available in Australia. It can be identified by old "bakelite" style handles and wands which exit directly from the body. There are differences in the water tank and slightly decreased steam volume. The wands of the classic move through an arc but are not ball-jointed. There is no difference in bolier size.

The Giotto Premium can be found on our website...http://www.talkcoffee.com.au/equipme...ecm-giotto.php

Chris

So Classic is old and Premium is new? Theres no recent new model?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pullman link=1173412852/0#9 date=1173484771
    So Classic is old and Premium is new? Theres no recent new model?
    Correct you are Greg,

I spoke with the CEO of ECM yesterday and can confirm that there has been no change whatsoever to the specification of the premium...

Chris

For the sake of simple side by side comparison, here is a pic of the Classic (left) and the Premium (right) which depicts the differences mentioned in this thread. I also believe the Premium has a deeper portafilter but I could be wrong.

I would be willing to roasd test the premium for free. It wouldnt be very difficult at all ;)

Site Sponsor

Hi everyone,

With regards to the old and the new, there were few light modifications introduced recently to the Giotto Premium, non of them are external. All changes were with internal components, and were aimed at increasing overall quality and performance, as below:

- Addition of an underneath chassis support giving extra strength when transporting and moving machine position

- Control board up-grade for more accurate control and sensitivity for fail safes

- Reconfiguration of chassis ventilation holes allowing excess boiler heat to disburse away from electrical areas and prevent pooling of
    water from spillages.

The slightly improved units have been released to the market already 1-2 months ago...

We still have one of the "newly modified" units in stock, if anyone is interested...

Thanks Renzo!