Thread: Expobar eb-61 lever...

TC

Expobar eb-61 lever...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I had the pleasure of playing with one of these over the weekend as I dialled it in for a client. Its been some time since the last one (I think it was yours TG??) and I must say that yet again, I was impressed by this workhorse....

I cracked open the case for an internal inspection- nothing about to fall off- so*all was well.

Out of the box, it shipped at 0.8 bar boiler and 12.5 bar pump pressure so the first adjustments were to 9.25 bar with the trusty p/f pressure gauge (knowing that it will drop off by approx 0.5 bar in the next couple of months) and 1.1 bar boiler pressure- no screwdriver required as the Expobar pressurestat simply has a knurled wheel for adjustment. The pump pressure adjustment was also simple- just a screwdriver into the OPV- accessible through the pre-drilled hole behind the drip tray.

This one had been ordered pimped (cool touch wands and cup rails) and teamed with a Rocky....

Next, the grinder dial in....shot time....and *:o! It must have been that peaking home roast Chris blend ;). After the long break from this model, I was very impressed! Really nice shots with balance and good acidity... great pours. This one really does punch above its class...

I have been somewhat browned off by service issues with the Minore II...I must be the unlucky dealer, but too many of mine have had issues related to build and/or electronics. The eb-61 lever is simple, robust and functional...and I reckon that is what we should be looking for in home machines rather than a time bomb box, full of electronics, just waiting to blow....

At well under Giotto price, this machine represents great value and the small extra spend over the Office semi is more than justified.

CSers, I reckon that this is the true entry point in real HX territory...

2mcm

Re: Expobar eb-61 lever...

Always nice to have my name mentioned.

I agree with Chris that this machine has been all I asked for and more.

Lucky customer has the benefit of adding some improvements that werent available to me at the time, like the cool touch wand (though I want it more for the different tip) and the cup rails (which I added later when Chris was able to get some).

I was never interested in the extra electronics of the Minore and although Chris is the expert compared to me, Im no spring chook and have some experience under my belt.

Together we came up with a brilliant machine for me.
    Chris says it punches above its class, hes wrong, it is in that class.

Great value for money. I had a good sized budget but dont see the logic in paying for a name badge.
    The heritage of this machine is just as good as some of the machines still made in Italy as far as Im concerned.

I still cant picture this machine lagging behind my needs at any stage in a home situation.
    Im the one who cant push it to its limits when it comes to making multiple coffees.

By now Im sure youve gathered that I highly recommend to anyone that you buy one of these from Chris and join me as an Expobar Leva owner.

Hi all,

For the past year I have been the proud owner of one of these machines, with a Ibertal Challenge Doser grinder. As we both prefer milk based coffee drinks we have been using Di-Bella beans.

My wife is far better at using it than I am, *however the upside of this is a latte in bed every morning *:)

So far we have only backflushed the machine and I am guessing its time to clean it out properly, what products do you guys recommend and what is the proper technique.........the instructions are the only disapointment with the machine.

I am also very interested in the cup rails.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave R32 link=1175465524/0#2 date=1175595462
    So far we have only backflushed the machine and I am guessing its time to clean it out properly, what products do you guys recommend and what is the proper technique.........the instructions are the only disapointment with the machine.
    Hi Dave,

Have you been using a backflush detergent or just plain water?

Cheers,

Luca

Hi Luca,

Just plain water.

Cheers
    Dave.

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Dave.

I use "cafetto EVO" espresso machine cleaner.

A few months before I purchased my Expobar Leva I spotted the stuff at The Rocks Aroma Coffee Festival and decided it was the go once Id finished my research and chosen a machine.

I got a great deal from Talk Coffee (a site sponsor) on my machine and a Macap grinder.
    Chris (2mcm) also included a few extras like jugs and cleaner to make sure I had everything I needed.

You can also get the cleaner from another site sponsor, Coffee Parts.

If I were you Id ask Chris if he has any rails left or can get any more.

He got some for me after Id had the Exi for a while.
    Its so much better now with them (though one cup has managed to fall off, but thats what I get for trying to keep 12 up there).
    The best thing is easier access to the water reservoir.
    The handles make it easy to remove to top and I dont even have to remove the cups first any more.

I started off cleaning every week and then, considering my usage, cut back to fortnightly.
    When you consider how much coffee oil you can see that accumulates in the PF under the basket in a week, imagine how much lurks in places you cant see.

The cleaner instructions say to re-season the machine with a throw away shot afterwards.
    I do two and so as not to waste fresh coffee I gather left over grounds for a few days beforehand, keep them in a glass jar and use them for my seasoning shots.

If you have any more questions just ask.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by luca link=1175465524/0#3 date=1175596283
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave R32 link=1175465524/0#2 date=1175595462
    Hi Dave,

Have you been using a backflush detergent or just plain water?

Cheers,

Luca
    Hey Dave!

Great to see you in CS and hope that car is putting a :D on the dial!

Happy to run you throught the cleaning routine...Feel free to give me a buzz if I can assist...

Chris

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

Chris, I will give you a call tomorrow. There are a few things I need.

Thundergod, The rails sound perfect, we keep 2 x Espresso cups, 2 x flat white cups, 2 x latte glasses and the porta filter on the top so running out of water is a pain........i guess plumbing the machine in would be an answer.

We also have the machine on a timer so it comes on at 5.00am and everything is nice a warm at 5.30 when my wife gets up to make morning coffee.

Have you changed the steam nozzle, we tried a 4 holer and reverted back to the supplied 2 holer after about a month.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers
    Dave.

I still use the standard two hole and had a look at the new version but dont want to fork out to replace the whole arm.
    Im perservering with getting it right with the standard wand.
    I can sometimes, just not enough times...yet.

I also have mine on a time to come on 1/2 an earlier than I might get up.
    My son has also decreed that I had to extend the off time by 30 minutes every night as well for his nightcap.

I dont think Id plumb it in, even though I do need to fill more often now that my wife has gotten used to using the hot water for her occasional tea.

I have always loved the look for th Expobar and had the Minore on my wish list. Its interesting to hear of the potential elctronics issues with the Minore as that may mean that the Ofiice Leva could be the better option for a robust and minimal maintanence home machine.

2MCM,Thundergod have you found that the Leva requires a cooling flush after steaming or extended innactivity ? I tend to have two machiatto at a time (and try to limit to 4 a day) so would the Leva be able to be left on without activity for 4-8 hours or would switching the machine off and then switchin on 30mins prior to usage be a better option ??

Thanks
    BeanBrat

Now that Im better acquainted with my machine I can say yes in needs a small cooling flush after a period of extended inactivity.

Ive never thought to check if it needs one after steaming as I mostly make myself a flat white and thats it until next time.

Its time for another coffee right now so hang on a minute or two and Ill see what happens after I steam my milk.

Mmmm nice, this ones 24hrs post roast (commercial).
    She said she "nailed it".
    I hope it last long enough to compare to my usual 7 days+ tasting.

Where was I?

Oh yes.

I didnt notice any significant overheated hissing and spitting immediately after steaming.

I ran the wand again to double check and the water from the group appeared to not be overheated.

So after a some inactivity - small cooling flush, yes.
    After steaming - seems not.

I have ordered the cleaning products from Coffeeparts and cup rails from Chris.

Over Easter we will give the machine a good clean, inside and out.

Chris, I have forgotten what you said to rejuvenate the in-tank water softner, could you please refresh my memory.

Beanbrat, we leave our machine on from 5.30am until about 8.00pm, we always pull a cooling shot after any period of inactivity, in fact when I was researching this machine 12 months ago it was mentioned that it can require longer cooling shots than other machines. Since I havent used other machines I cant confirm or deny this.

Cheers
    Dave.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Dave R32 link=1175465524/0#11 date=1175672192
    I have ordered the cleaning products from Coffeeparts and cup rails from Chris.

Over Easter we will give the machine a good clean, inside and out.

Chris, I have forgotten what you said to rejuvenate the in-tank water softner, could you please refresh my memory.

Beanbrat, we leave our machine on from 5.30am until about 8.00pm, we always pull a cooling shot after any period of inactivity, in fact when I was researching this machine 12 months ago it was mentioned that it can require longer cooling shots than other machines. Since I havent used other machines I cant confirm or deny this.

Cheers
    Dave.
    Hi Dave- take the softener cartridge off the silicon hose and soak in a glass of cool salt (a teaspoon or two) water for say 1/2 hour- even overnight if you wish. Rinse....Do this every 3 weeks...

2mcm

Thanks guys, great information about a great machine.
    I think its time to save up some cash and go get myself a Leva to play with ;D
    BeanBrat

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1175465524/0#12 date=1175672394
    Hi Dave- take the softener cartridge off the silicon hose and soak in a glass of cool salt (a teaspoon or two) water for say 1/2 hour- even overnight if you wish. Rinse....Do this every 3 weeks...
    2mcm
    I have never recharged this cartridge in ~ 15 months of use.

Is it necessary when using filtered water?

Belinda

Belinda, it depends on what sort of filter you are using. Many filters, such as activated charcoal, only remove sediment and bad tastes.

They do nothing to soften water.

Others do all the above, plus an ion exchange which does soften water, although the effectiveness may taper off towards the end of the cartridges life.

With these, typical in Brita disposable filters, water is softened and you may not need additional softening, depending on your local supply.

--Robusto

Belinda I asked the same question a while back and whether or not using the Brita was overkill.

Chris recommended every three weeks.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1175073473/11#11

(Just realised that answer from Chris was 3 weeks ago tomorrow - time to recharge again.)

Thanks

I use a pretty decent bench top filter but I dont think it softens the water.

Will definitely recharge the inline softener soon :-)

Belinda

Good idea Belinda. Depending on where you live and the quality of water there, charcoal filtration may not be necessary at all -- unless you want to remove the chlorine odour.

-Robusto