Thread: Giotto steam power

Giotto steam power

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    G’day all,
    Whilst perusing the net, I’ve seen a lot of people talking about having ‘too much’ steam power in their ‘prosumer’ machines to do small amounts of milk, which makes it difficult to get the micro foam that we all seek. I realise that it all comes down to practice, but I don’t do enough milk to get, and retain, a good technique, thus I feel a smaller steam tip would be an advantage. Like this one:

http://www.coffeeparts.com/accessories/steamtips.html

Im not interested in sticking toothpicks or other items in the spouts, or otherwise interfere with the standard tip.

The ‘problem’ I have is that the Giotto premium has a no burn steam arm, so standard ‘10mm female’ steam tips won’t fit, thus leaving you to get by with the standard steam tip. This may also be the case for the Minore II, can someone help me out with that one?
    Anyhoo, I was wondering out loud if there would be an interest in getting an adaptor so that standard steam tips will fit on the Giotto premium (or Minore II if applicable).
    Here’s a link to the adaptor I was talking about.

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/parts/adaptor

My questions are:
    Are the holes on the smaller Coffeeparks steam tip that much smaller than the standard one to make a noticeable difference?
    Is there anywhere in Australia that this adaptor is available?
    I’ve emailed the company and they have a minimum $50 USD for overseas orders.
    If there’s enough interest, I’ll put up a poll and a group order may be the go.

Thanks and have a great Easter, hope the bunny is good to you all.

TC

Re: Giotto steam power

There is a plan B and also a plan C Steve,

Option #1
    Why not get a replacement tip. get the holes brazed (with the safe stuff) and then re-drill to whatever you want? IMHO, the native Giotto tip is one of the best I have ever used.

Option #2
    LaSpaziale spec a 4 hole male tip (on the vivaldi, I think??). Braze 2 holes on this to make a fantastic tip....

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1175823081/0#1 date=1175823880
    There is a plan B and also a plan C Steve,

Option #1
    Why not get a replacement tip. get the holes brazed (with the safe stuff) and then re-drill to whatever you want?
    That sounds like a good, and much more economical option *;).
    Where can I get a replacement tip from?

IMHO, the native Giotto tip is one of the best I have ever used.
    Good it may be, but my skills arent up to it. Youve seen my attempts at milk frothing *;D.
    Thanks Chris.

TC

Suggest that you try emailing ECM direct for a tip to play with, Steve. I know that Bean Alliance sell the LaSpaz.....they can probably help....

Cool, thanks for that, Ill give them a try.
    Now to find someone locally with some welding skills :-?

Just a quick update.
    Ive managed to get a hold of a couple of Giotto 4 hole tips, with a huge thanks to Peter at ECM.
    Ive dropped them into a local radiator repair place to silver solder the holes up, so I can re-drill them to a smaller size. I might go for a single hole tip and one with two holes which are smaller than the originals.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey link=1175823081/0#5 date=1179120631
    Just a quick update.
    Ive managed to get a hold of a couple of Giotto 4 hole tips, with a huge thanks to Peter at ECM.
    Ive dropped them into a local radiator repair place to silver solder the holes up, so I can re-drill them to a smaller size. I might go for a single hole tip and one with two holes which are smaller than the originals.

Make sure that they use a non-lead based solder/braze so as to protect those neurones ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1175823081/0#6 date=1179127662
    Make sure that they use a non-lead based solder/braze so as to protect those neurones ;)
    Yeah,

Gotta be really careful about that, have to make sure that the Silver Solder they use contains no Cadmium either... if they have Plumbers S/Solder on hand, that should be ok as they only ever use the "safe" stuff :)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal link=1175823081/0#7 date=1179150752
    Gotta be really careful about that, have to make sure that the Silver Solder they use contains no Cadmium either...

Mal.
    Yep.... Cadmium kills more than just neurones.... it kills the owner of the neurones :o :o

Lovey, I bought the coffeeparts 2-hole tip to replace the monster 4-hole one on my machine. The existing tip was much, much too fast--before you got your balance, steaming time was over, folks.

However, the replacement holes were the size of a pin, tediously slow.

I drilled both out with the smallest bit I have, 1/16" , and the result is much improved. Still a little on the fast side for one cup -- not much margin for error. The angle of jug to tip has to be precise, no jerky movements are tolerated.

But for 2 or 3 cups, much easier, more rewarding to use.

When you are ready to drill, make sure the angle is right, as you wont have the old holes as pilots.

ALso, try a smaller than 1/16" drill bit first. Its ever so simple to drill the hole out to a larger size later if it proves too small.

Good luck

-Robusto

TC

Quote Originally Posted by robusto link=1175823081/0#9 date=1179183756
    Lovey, I bought the coffeeparts 2-hole tip to replace the monster 4-hole one on my machine. * The existing tip was much, much too fast--before you got your balance, steaming time was over, folks. <snip>

-Robusto
    NB the Giotto premium has a 2 hole 10mm male tip. Unless something has changed, Pedro stocks a female tip- perfect for the older Giotto classic, Diadema et al....

When I dropped the tips off to the radiator man, I asked him to use silver solder. He asked about using normal solder, but he wasnt sure that it would take. He asked what the tips were and when I told him they were off a coffee machine, he then said that the solder needed to be food safe. When I picked them up, I asked him if there was any cadmium in the solder, and he told me there wasnt 8-).
    Ive got to clean them up a bit and then drill them out, Ill put some pics up when I get a chance. Ive got my hands full ATM helping to plan a wedding.

Yes, 2MCM, theres been no sex change at Pedros. The tip I bought is female. My posting was to (hopefully) help with hole sizes etc rather than the sex.

-Robusto

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1175823081/0#10 date=1179187755
    Quote Originally Posted by robusto link=1175823081/0#9 date=1179183756
    Lovey, I bought the coffeeparts 2-hole tip to replace the monster 4-hole one on my machine. The existing tip was much, much too fast--before you got your balance, steaming time was over, folks. <snip>

-Robusto
    NB the Giotto premium has a 2 hole 10mm male tip. Unless something has changed, Pedro stocks a female tip- perfect for the older Giotto classic, Diadema et al....
    Why does the Giotto Premium have a male tip? I would assume it would be easier to manufacture the threads on the outside of the steam wand pipe itself, than on the inside (to fit male tips which have threading on the outside).

Should make no difference when machining which part has the internal and which has the external thread.
    After all you have to have one of each.

true true, but for standardisations sake I think there should be an industry standard.....but each to their own I guess....no one company is going to ever make the same parts...however a lot of the same stuff can be found in different machines

I totally agree.

Flo

I guess the manufacturers reckon that the equipment that they supply a machine with is good enough to do the job and as such, there is no need to replace it... And in all reality, for most people, it probably is.

Having custom parts allows them to charge you your first born for replacement parts. >:(

Java "Prefers his own standards!" phile

Hi, im going nuts trying to find a single hole nozzle for my giotto premium plus !! I dont want to weld and drill holes etc, surely some one sells one for the machine, can anybody steer me in the right direction, thanks.. :)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 001C110B0C0B19151A540 link=1175823081/19#19 date=1307616908
    Hi, im going nuts trying to find a single hole nozzle for my giotto premium plus !! I dont want to weld and drill holes etc, surely some one sells one for the machine, can anybody steer me in the right direction, thanks.. :)
    Hi X Man,

The Giotto tip is one of the easiest tips I have used so far. You may just need a little training to get good results. Sounds like youre fighting the machine?* :-?

If you want to block one temporarily, best bet is to pull some line trimmer line through one of the holes and then trim off. You can then remove it as you grow accustomed to the wand.

In the meantime, http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1167622442 or www.espressocompany.com.au/how-to.htm may be of assistance.

Good luck...

Chris

Hi Chris, i left a message on your mobile earlier about buying another machine..

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 071B160C0B0C1E121D530 link=1175823081/21#21 date=1307617947
    Hi Chris, i left a message on your mobile earlier about buying another machine..
    Thanks X, I have it and have sent you a PM

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 64515C5B6F735F56565555300 link=1175823081/20#20 date=1307617307
    The Giotto tip is one of the easiest tips I have used so far.

I have no problems doing great milk on mine, where are you based? maybe someone close can give you a hand with your technique.

I have the two hole tip on my Giotto. Getting the hang of it now and yes its easy to steam. I just need to work out when to stop steaming as I tend to get the milk a little too hot for latte art.
    Heres an example of too hot. Although having said that I am getting better at it. Had the opportunity to do 4 practices today with a few people dropping by tonight. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkTpoRKDJKE&feature=related

Or just change the steam arm to a standard one and put whatever tip you want on it