Thread: Where in Brisbane ?

Where in Brisbane ?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    OK Im either going to PID my Silvia or get myself a shinny new machine. Where can I view & get a demo of a range of machines in Brisbane? Expobar Minore II high on my list of options.

Thanks.

Re: Where in Brisbane ?

Barazi out at Coopers Plains comes to mind, one of our Site Sponsors listed on the L/H side of the page. They sell a range of domestic machines too which are not listed on their website... Pay em a call :)

Mal.

Barazi had a Minore II the last time I was there....

I was very impressed with them. They are able to pull shots from machines also for you, although when I was there either their beans were not flash, or my pallet was off that day because the shots from a Bezzera were not too flash, but given the quality of those machines and their reputation I think it was stale coffee sitting in their big commercial grinders doser already ground.

Cheers

Heh heh...

They have this theory that the coffee they use (which is shipped from Italy) is as good as anything around. I disagree.

As to the machine, at that level of equipment, the machine hardly matters. I have a mate who bought and restored a BZ35e at the same time I bought mine and he was making shots the other day that would rival a La Marzocco in that he was able to pour espressos that had a taste that directly reflected the aroma of the beans (Merlo espresso blend - mainly caramel and slight chocolate with a hint of sweetnes from caramelised sugars).... the holy grail of espresso making. The secret seemed to be dosing down a bit, using a finer grind and lighter tamp...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky link=1182805454/0#4 date=1182900425
    he was able to pour espressos that had a taste that directly reflected the aroma of the beans (Merlo espresso blend - mainly caramel and slight chocolate with a hint of sweetnes from caramelised sugars).... the holy grail of espresso making. The secret seemed to be dosing down a bit, using a finer grind and lighter tamp...
    Really? The only flavours i have ever tasted in that blend is smoke, ashtray and burnt caramel.

No, no, only joking.............................sort of.

So, from the feedback no one is advocating PIDing my Silvia?

Also only QTY 1 outlet in Brissy?

Come on guys & girls make yourself a nice short black and give me more to work with. ;)

TC

Dorf- PIDs work very well and if you dont need volume or drink a heap of milky drinks, a PIDed Silvia will do a great job. Jims kits are fantastic. Its just a matter of what you want to achieve...

2mcm

im pretty sure nigel @ shots has an expobar on the shelves, he is out on station rd burpengary. Worth the trip if your northside.

Caffeine Espresso has them too i think in Teneriffe

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer Roaster link=1182805454/0#5 date=1182907644

Really? The only flavours i have ever tasted in that blend is smoke, ashtray and burnt caramel.

i dont mind that blend, most of the time. Though I havent been to merlo since the sellout. Whats in it that gives the full strong flavour? (i drink it with milk).

Brisbane is kind of flooded with Merlo/Di bella now. It has kind of given them a bad name because its everywhere and mostly made bad. I had never had a good DiBella coffee and had written it off till a few weeks back when I found Cafe Modena.

Sorry for going off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer Roaster link=1182805454/0#5 date=1182907644
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky link=1182805454/0#4 date=1182900425
    he was able to pour espressos that had a taste that directly reflected the aroma of the beans (Merlo espresso blend - mainly caramel and slight chocolate with a hint of sweetnes from caramelised sugars).... the holy grail of espresso making. The secret seemed to be dosing down a bit, using a finer grind and lighter tamp...

No youre not ;) We know where you stand on this issue. However, Mark at Caffeine says it best with his slogan "The best coffee is the coffee you like best."

I get a little smoke, and burnt caramel. Tastes like some earthy PNG or Indo beans in that blend. Ashy is more the Private blend, which I find difficult to produce a shot that tastes as good as it smells. Maybe its a blend optimised for the 17 sec shot that they tend to pull at the cafes. It works well in milk though...

For complexity the best espresso Ive had is Campos Superior blend pulled on their LM GB5. Ant also pulled a pretty good shot at Naked Coffee on their Linea, but it lacked the complexity I got at Campos...

See you at Nigels on Sat.

Cheers,

Mark.

I was at a place in Indooroopilly the other day and I was watching the Barista getting stuck in and they used a very heavy steel tamper but used it in the air and did a sit and polish job....have you tried the down dose, finer grind and a light tamp Mark....interested to know what results your getting.

Cheers

Im not really down dosing. Im just dosing enough to get an imprint of the shower screen on removal. Ive lightened my tamp so that I just compress it enough to remove any voids, but no further. I grind to suit this method. Results: Almost always a nice constant flow with parallel streams out of a double spout (like Lucas avatar). The flow also starts slowly and predictably. The puck is uniformly saturated with not obvious dry spots visible on the bottom of the puck. The puck is also slightly spongey to touch. The coffee is very repeatable in its flavour. Im pretty happy with the way is going.

Cheers,

Mark.