Thread: Giotto or Silvia

Giotto or Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    I am considering getting either (a) Rancilio Silvia with Rocky grinder or (b) ECM Giotto Premium with mini Mazzer.

I can get the silvia/rocky combo for about $1,100 but the ECM/mazz will cost about $3,200. Given I have never used either of these machines before I would like to know if i do spend the extra $2,100 on the Giotto that it is worth the extra cost.

Does anyone have any thoughts???
    thanks - andy

Re: Giotto or Silvia

If I were you and could afford the Giotto and Mazzer now I would buy them now. 8-)

The HX Giotto and Mazer is an upgrade from the Silvia/Rocky. Both are more capable machines than the Silvia/Rocky combo, but that is reflected in the price. Many Silvia/Rocky owners end up upgrading to the Giotto or similar HX or Dual Boiler machines.

In the end it is a decision you have to be happy with and I think talking to a site sponsor would be the next best move.

andy77

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

There is no doubt that a Giotto / Mazzer is a far better combination than the Silvia/Rocky - as is my La Cimbali combo compared to the Giotto/Mazzer...

You basically get what you pay for..... and the more you can afford to pay (especially for the grinder) the better the results will be and the flexibility of making your coffees will be greater - especially if they are milk based.

The Silvia is an excellent machine for its price point - dont get me wrong - but it cant be compared to a machine costing several times its price. The result wont be several times as good due to the law of "diminishing returns"...... three times more dollars wont get you a three times better machine - or make three times better espresso either!.

Your best bet is to have a chat to a site sponsor about your needs, how you intend to use the machine etc... etc..... and then it really comes down to how passionate you are about coffee and the amount of dollars you are prepared to spend.

andy77

A key performance difference is that the Silvia is a single boiler machine, which means after pulling a shot, you need to "up" the temp to produce steam.
    This entails a 40-60sec wait if you want milk.

HX machines, allow you to pull shots and steam straight after [or at the same time if you are very coordinated!].

If you were only drinking espresso, the steam delay would not be an issue.

But I agree with the others, get the best you can now and do some sort of course to ensure you get the best from the machine.
    Try and visit some Site sponsors like Talk Coffee or DiBartoli. Every machine has its pros and cons, so its best if you get some experienced guidance.

Hi Andy. Having just been there and done that, I say if you can justify the cost to get the Giotto/Mazzer combo. The ease of use of having steam on demand just cant be beaten (unless as said youre a pure espresso man).

Luckily I have a very lovely spouse who actually appreciates this hobby for once!

Why do you feel you have to match the Silvia with a rocky? Whatever machine you get I would still go the Mazzer.

I often get the feeling that people think that there is something about the way the rocky grinds that makes it particularly suited to a Silvia. (maybe my imagination) Its not the case. Get the best grinder you can afford.

im with muppet man. Rocky is a good grinder, but if you even THINK that you may get a mazzer mini instead, dont hesitate and GET THE MAZZER! I may be wrong, but a mazzer paired with a silvia will make better espresso than a rocky paired with giotto...? (not counting convenience of simultaneous brewing and steaming)

My point, get the best grinder you can afford, and if you have money enough left over, a giotto will be money well spent, it is much easier to use, as for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by MachoSilvia link=1184990768/0#6 date=1185069984

I may be wrong, but a mazzer paired with a silvia will make better espresso than a rocky paired with giotto...? (not counting convenience of simultaneous brewing and steaming)

My point, get the best grinder you can afford,
    Spot on MachoSilvia... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Spend the big $$$$$ on the grinder!

Quote Originally Posted by MachoSilvia link=1184990768/0#6 date=1185069984
    im with muppet man. Rocky is a good grinder, but if you even THINK that you may get a mazzer mini instead, dont hesitate and GET THE MAZZER! I may be wrong, but a mazzer paired with a silvia will make better espresso than a rocky paired with giotto...? (not counting convenience of simultaneous brewing and steaming)

My point, get the best grinder you can afford, and if you have money enough left over, a giotto will be money well spent, it is much easier to use, as for convenience.
    Thats some pretty good advice. Mazzer and Silvia will kick some ass....but once you head in to HX territory, the machine price will far outweigh the price of the grinder....the moral of the story is dont skimp on the grinder when spending less than $1000 on your machine.

..and dont skimp on the grinder when you spend more than $1000 on the machine either ;)

well...the mazzer mini is pretty much the holy grail of home grinders.....so you cant get much better than that....

I think my Macap gives it a run for its money.

I dont like Macaps...they run so goddam hot I burnt my hand on a Macap...much hotter than Mazzers...inconsequential at home I know.

And as we ARE talking about home use in this instance....I rest my case. ;)

Thanks for the advice all - much appreciated.

Will be going for the Giotto/Mazzer combo and will make a post once I have received them to let you know how I went.

thanks - andy

Congrat! you wont be disappointed... youll have one shiny kitchen!

I had a laugh we wont go into the "macap vs mazzer" argument... too many of those threads as it is!

and btw, your both wrong, mazzer robur beats all...

cheers, Mark

TC

Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1185442746]This Thread[/link]