Thread: Equipment Opinions...

Equipment Opinions...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    :)
    I all, I am looking to start brewing coffee at home, (Peviously had a coffee shop with Wega Atlas 2 group That I sold :( ) and was wanting some opinions of what to buy. I am looking at getting a Bezzera Bz99s Machine with an Isomac Professionale Grinder.

mod edit to change text colour to something visible ;)

Re: Equipment Opinions...

Hi CherryRipe and welcome to CoffeeSnobs...

The first thing you need is a better choice of colour for your text when posting ::)

Red text on a black background (whilst it might look like a CherryRipe ;)) is very hard on ones eyes - and extremely hard to read.... :( :(

Sorry about that, Ill stick with white ;D

TC

Hi Cherry Ripe,

the grinder mentioned most probably has the same burr set and perhaps even motor as the Nemox lux- and is underdone as a good espresso grinder.

Buy the best grinder you can afford.

What did you have in mind as a budget on your machine and in total? We need that information to better assist you...

Ah, thats a lot better!

The Bezzera machines are very fine indeed - several members here have them (generally older machines which have been restored).... They are capable of great espresso.

The grinder on the other hand it a bit "light on" compared to the quality of the machine.... it is a domestic conical and would IMHO be just adequate...

A quality grinder is far more important than the actual machine..... To match your Bezzera Id be looking at a Mazzer grinder....

Check out the site sponsors (and the info in the grinder section here on CoffeeSnobs.

I had considered a mazzer but the one I like "Mini Mazzer Electronic A" is $990.... I didnt want one with doser ? but dont know. For home is it better with or without a doser?

Trying to keep the budget under $3000.00 total.

Quote Originally Posted by CherryRipe link=1185172713/0#5 date=1185174351
    I had considered a mazzer but the one I like "Mini Mazzer Electronic A" is $990.... I didnt want one with doser ? but dont know. For home is it better with or without a doser?

Trying to keep the budget under $3000.00 total.
    A cheap grinder will limit the quality of your espresso.

I prefer a doser.... it breaks up any clumps.... and is far less messy!

Just grind through the doser..... Dose as it grinds.... switch off and sweep the remaining grinds into the PF..... minimal mess and no grinds left to go stale in the doser!

TC

Id suggest the Mazzer mini-manual EVERY TIME in preference to the mini-e..

The concept of a perfectly timed single or double dose does not exist with these. You will have to pulse the grinder to top up. Fiddly *;). If it has to be doserless, have a look at the ECM KS or maybe something like the Ascaso Conical (Luca of Veneziano will be able to fill you in on this one)

That said, a grand for a mini-e is surprising. It must be old stock as the RRP is $1190 it.

From our range, Id be suggesting VBM Domobar Super or Giotto and Mazzer mini/Macap M4 or M5 or something similar...

Hi Cheery Ripe,
    * I have the Bezzera BZ02P and can thoroughly recommend it.
    I bought mine from Barazi here in Brisbane ( a Site Sponsor ) and was most impressed with them.
    Theyre not far from you either... :)
    * I had a Rocky which worked well with Bezzie but upgraditis bit and I bought a Compak K3 Touch from
    Pioneer Coffee Roastery ( even closer to you.. :) )
    These 2 the BZ02P and Compak K3 Touch will come in under $3000.There are lots of other options too
    so good luck and let us know how you go.

Cheers,
    Ken.

Welcome CherryRipe.

$3000 will get you some good equipment.
    Dont skimp on the grinder though.

And I agree with everything JavaB said on a doser model.

Talk to some site sponsors and theyll look after you.

Youve given me some great advise!!! :D I think I am gonna have to go for the mazzer mini-manual.

Thank you to all for your input

Banned

What about something like the Compak K3 touch, it is heaps cheaper than the mazzer and more than enough grinder for a home setup. You could match this with a number of espresso machines for under the $3k mark.

For that budget I would suggest a Compak K3 and a Bezzera BZ02S or ECM Giotto.

My first suggestion would be to call into a local site sponsor and see what they have. Or give me a call as I have a great combo for that price being the above mentioned.

I looked around a lot before I purchased and am pleased I did, I have very recently bought a VBM Domobar super and mini mazzer - VERY happy with both. Suggest you look at these also before you purchase. Some of the site sponsors sell them
    Good luck
    Dr Dave

Re: GRINDER OPTIONS

Lets inject a bit more variety, as people do seem to get hung up on mazzer grinders.....

Direct competition in every way to the MM is the Macap M4/M5. The other grinders mentioned above are not necessarily "direct" competition to the MM, but the Macaps are. If you put an M5 and an MM next to eachother, you will see why....and the performance is the same, except where others in here will tell you the doser on the Macap is better as they have found that it leaves far less grinds behind on the sweep.

The micrometric (stepless) adjusting system on the Macap is also (in my opinion) much more accurate than that of the MM...of course it should be, as Macap has had enough time to study the older stepless system of the MM and come up with something better.

It (M4/5) also has the other advantage often discussed here...the choice of optioning the short (M4) hopper for use in kitchens that have low overhanging cupboards.

And you will probably find the price is better too.....

Mate it up to one of our Diadema Junior PLUS or Unico Splendor machines and you will be in budget with top notch equipment and great support from this CS sponsor.

Regardz,
    FC.

when i was looking at a new grinder, i liked the macap, but when i tested one, i didnt like that the basket was very close to the chute, which meant knowing when the basket was full was a problem.... either stooping down, or pulling out the basket.

i guess what i am trying to say is that each has its quirks, so the best bet is to try them out and choose what is best for you. reading about it can only give you so much, but not all.....you need to touch and feel to get the full picture.