Thread: Faema E98 or la SCALA Butterfly?

Faema E98 or la SCALA Butterfly?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,
    looking at either a Faema E98 semi-auto machine or a la SCALA Butterfly....
    Love both machines, would like to get the Pros & Cons on each?

Would be for home use with mainly milk based drinks.
    New to this forum - love what Ive seen so far!
    Regards to all

Flynn

Re: Faema E98 or la SCALA Butterfly?

Gday Flynn and welcome to Coffeesnobs.
    Ill preface the following with "I have no experience with either machine."
    Are these the two machines that youve narrowed your choice down to? If so, how did you come to your decision? The two machines, whilst both in a similar class (ie HX prosumer), they are in different leagues, as evidenced by the difference in $$$.
    If its only down to these two, my humble suggestion would be that if you have the money to buy a Faema E98 (the same as a La Cimbali Junior), that would be the one to buy. It has an excellent build quality and reputation.
    If you havent thought about other machines, Id be in contact with one of the esteemed site sponsors who will help you make a qualified decision.
    What sort of grinder do you have? As this is probably the most important part of the equation.
    Welcome again,
    Steve.

Thanks for your reply Steve,
    Its a weird way of finding out about machines, but I managed to "have a play" on the Faema E98 at a Peugeot Dealer here in Sydney (told you it was weird!) and thought it was a Fab unit!!
    The la Scala Butterfly I found on Alan Frews website, and from there did some investigating but I havent seen one in the flesh. Another machine that I saw today was a La Nuova Era Cuadra - what a georgeous contraption! and very similar in specs to the Butterfly.

On the subject of grinders, Im thinking of the Compak K3, over a Rancilio Rocky?
    what do you think of the K3 machine?
    Cheers!

Gday Flynn,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. If I was in your shoes and just starting out, the best advice I could give you would be to visit the premises of a reputable retailer who can demonstrate the pros and cons of a range of machines that fall within your budget and other constraints. Seeing as how youre a Sydney dweller, Id have no hesitation in recommending Di Bartoli, one of our site sponsors, a link to which can be found on the L/H side of the page. There may be other reputable retailers around too but Di Bartoli definitely cater for we coffeesnobs, whether aspiring or upgrading.

At least this way, youll have an opportunity to get hands-on experience with a number of different machines to better inform you of the choices that are available and the compromises that the various choices involve. All the best,

Mal.

TC

Hi Flynn,

Why not also look at the Vibiemme Domobar Super? Its a touch more expensive than the LaScala but has a clear advantage on build, componentry and performance.

We have a demo machine in Melbourne if youd like to trial it.

Chris

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Flynn,

what did you get - I just got a Butterfly and couldnt be happier - Bob

Quote Originally Posted by 4F65706767090 link=1187557668/2#2 date=1187750455
    On the subject of grinders, Im thinking of the Compak K3, over a Rancilio Rocky?
    what do you think of the K3 machine?

K3 is far superior to the Rocky. It will be a good match for your espresso machine whatever you decide to get :)

i prefer an e61 based machine myself like the butterfly (owned a faema e98 and multiple e61s)

Would be good to hear what you ended up with. I recently got ahold of a second hand butterfly and even more recently posited it with a second hand SJ mazzer. Awsome combination. Life my maxine just be careful as it had a tendency to over heat so cooling flushes are needed