Thread: Pump has carked it...seriously this time :(

Pump has carked it...seriously this time :(

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Some of you might be feeling a sense of deja vu - Ive typed something like this up before...but that was because my OPV was set to something silly like 4bar.

This time, no doubts about it, the pump has kicked the bucket :(

Signs:
    - Machine on, warmed up, press the brew switch - nada. The sound of the electrics/solenoid working, but no vibe pump sound that wakes the house up at 7am each morning :(. Strike 1.
    - Boiler isnt autofilling; fair enough, the pump is dead. Strike 2.
    - Hot water switch is also not running, that solenoid works, but no water. Strike 3.

Anyway, RIP Fluid-O-Tech pump. Since exams are coming around the corner, I wont really have time to fix it for a while (french press, here I come). On the upside, this does give me time to contemplate the options...

1. Buy a new Fluid-O-Tech pump. Degree of Difficulty - 2.0
    2. Buy an Ulka pump. From what I remember from the last time I posted that suggestion, the general consensus was Why bother?. Fair enough.
    3. Look into going rotary. This is the unknown for me:
    - Espresso quality will likely not increase with a rotary (reading from HB articles anyway)
    - $$$$$$$$$$$ (the major setback) ~5-6x the price of a vibe pump is my quick guesstimate from coffeeparts (motor + pump)
    - Im guessing the advantage is durability...but surely I wont burn through 5-6 pumps (until I get a new machine...) unless Im planning on making this thing a family heirloom...
    - Then theres the fiddly wiring and figuring out what goes there etc. (but thats a pro rather than a con in my books :D)

I guess replacement Fluid-O-Tech pump it is...

Any suggestions/comments?

Re: Pump has carked it...seriously this time :(

Im no pump expert but my Quaha and my Silvia both have Ulka pumps and Ive never had a problem with either of them which anecdotally appears to be the experience of many. Alan Frew concurs. Not sure why theyre supposed to be so bad?

The other advantage with rotary is the lack of noise factor, but personally I doubt its worth the money unless youve got a pillow full of the stuff ::) (in which case lets be friends! ;D)

Greg

Guys you need not look to overseas forums or other traders for expertise that is available right here from experienced professional site sponsors in this forum.

Do not be swayed by all the talk in this forum from a relatively small number of participants that dont mind modifyijng / rebuilding / re engineering / playing with their coffee machines.

If you are not that way inclined then the by far the easiest and quickest way to reciitfy the problem is to replace the failed pump with an identical pump. That way it will be an easy screw out and screw back in replacement, with out need to go mucking around having to shorten this, or turn that, or fit a modifying nipple or whatever..... to fit a non standard pump....for no gain whatsoever except to say that your machine has a "so and so" brand pump in it.

Absolutely one of the last things you would ever expect to fail in a machine irrespective of the brand name is the water pump. If yours is dead, it doesnt mean the brand or model is no good, its just means the pump is dead.....period. Get another of the same type or that is sold as a DIRECT REPLACEMENT, and go back to enjoying your coffee machine pronto and without introducing some other variable into the equation from trying to do a non standard replacement.

Greg there is nothing whatsoever wrong with vibrating pumps. They do a job, for a certain design brief, and thats that.

If you want a better extraction (but you have to be able to discern the difference and many cant), then you might elect to purchase a machine with a rotary pump in the first place...but as stated, you have to be able to discern the difference in the extraction or the money is wasted.

The only other way in which a rotary will be "better", is when a machine is running multiple rather than a single group ie, the rotary pump has much larger volumetric capacity to cope with more than one group running at the same time and maybe even the boiler auto fill circuit cutting in at the same time.

But for a small single group semi commercial.......definitely not *necessary*.

If you want a machine with a rotary pump then buy one at the onset. Dont buy a machine with a vibrating solenoid pump then waste time modifying UNLESS you are in it for the academic or project /hobby value of it.

Hope this helps,
    FC.

Thanks heaps FC, thats convinced me to stick to the simple option :D

Aaron

For what its worth, you can get a rotary pump e-61 prosumer machine for around $3000.

That wouldnt be the Iberital LAnna would it David?

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh_Coffee link=1192973965/0#2 date=1193025798

Do not be swayed by all the talk in this forum from a relatively small number of participants that dont mind modifyijng / rebuilding / re engineering / playing with their coffee machines.

If you are not that way inclined then the by far the easiest and quickest way to reciitfy the problem is to replace the failed pump with an identical pump. That way it will be an easy screw out and screw back in replacement, with out need to go mucking around having to shorten this, or turn that, or fit a modifying nipple or whatever..... to fit a non standard pump....for no gain whatsoever except to say that your machine has a "so and so" brand pump in it.

Absolutely one of the last things you would ever expect to fail in a machine irrespective of the brand name is the water pump. If yours is dead, it doesnt mean the brand or model is no good, its just means the pump is dead.....period. Get another of the same type or that is sold as a DIRECT REPLACEMENT, and go back to enjoying your coffee machine pronto and without introducing some other variable into the equation from trying to do a non standard replacement.

Greg there is nothing whatsoever wrong with vibrating pumps. They do a job, for a certain design brief, and thats that.
    Pretty much what I was saying I think...

...both have Ulka pumps and Ive never had a problem with either of them ... Not sure why theyre supposed to be so bad?
    :-?

Quote Originally Posted by futorima link=1192973965/0#5 date=1193051084
    That wouldnt be the Iberital LAnna would it David?
    Sure is...and also the Izzo Alex