Thread: How long do HX machines take to warm up?

How long do HX machines take to warm up?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

I normally allow my Silvia to warm up for an hour or so before using, but of course the water itself is up to temp in a few minutes as it only has 300ml; the rest of that time is allowing the heat from that water to permeate the rest of the metalwork. How long does a HX machine with say 2L of water take to heat up that volume of water, and correspondingly, is an hour a good ballpark warmup figure for the whole machine?

I realise this probably depends on the nature of the machine, but just trying to work out if theyre in the same ballpark as the Silvia or not. Id be guessing E61s would heat up quicker than a traditional passive conduction system like on the Silvia?

Greg

Re: How long do HX machines take to warm up?

Greg,

My 17l twin group monster is totally thermally stable in an hour after switch on (not that it is off very often)....

If 17L and LOTS of brass up to temp with 4000W of heating.....

So 2L and a 1200W (or greater) heater - a lot less brass etc.... should be easily up to temperature in an hour..... Id expect maybe 30 minutes.

Abbey takes 37mins to come up to "making me happy" temp with a 12L boiler plus I do flush it thru a bit to warm the groups once I see the pressure rising..

TC

30 minutes is fine for the little HX prosumer stuff- which is probably the same as your Silvia Greg.

You can squeeze a shot out at 15min with a big flush to heat the group, but its unlikely to be of the god variety ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1193897038/0#3 date=1193898671
    30 minutes is fine for the little HX prosumer stuff- which is probably the same as your Silvia Greg.

You can squeeze a shot out at 15min with a big flush to heat the group, but its unlikely to be of the god variety ;)
    Thanks for the compliment Chris! ;D

My machine is on a timer, so its well and truly ready by the time I get up....

However, I think allowing an hour pre-heat is somewhat on the generous side... Its probably ready to go 30 minutes after switch on. In that time all the surrounding metal is up to temperature.

Boiler (2.2l) is up to temp at 10-15mins, but like to leave it for
    30 - 40 mins if possible. Hence as robusto says its on a timer for
    the early a.m. emergency.

If it is not possible to wait, Ill run water from the boiler through the pf
    to heat it, then do the shot.

My 1.5L HX takes about 15-20mins to heat up.
    By then the group head (E61 clone) becomes to hot to touch.
    I then run a flush to heat the cups to be used.

Excellent, thanks guys. I guess that all makes sense; Silvia has a 1100W element which heats 300ml of water in about 2 minutes. That would mean a 2L boiler with a say 1500W element should do the same job in about 10 minutes. So in either case the majority of warmup time is heating the rest of the machine.

I do a bit of cheating to heat up if Im in a rush ... basically I get the boiler to turn on more regularly than it would sitting idle. So after its reached temperature, I flush some steam out of the steam nozzle - til the boiler light goes on.

Then 5 minutes (or so) later, Ill flush some water out of the group head through the portafilter - til the boiler light goes on.

Then 5 minutes (or so) later, Ill open the hot water tap into my cups to warm them up ... boiler light on again.

I might flush some more water, or more steam through again a couple of times. Seems to get things hotter quicker.

I allow about 20min for my E61 HX machine to get up to scratch, but then Im usually only making a babychino for the little one first thing in the morning, and Ill squeeze a shot out for myself about 20mins after that. I often turn my machine on at 5am, so that its ready to go when I feel like a coffee, just before 6am - when Im ready to leave for work!

If Im hanging for a coffee I can squeeze one ot after about 20mins, though, by flushing a fair amount of water through the grouphead.

Cheers,

Pat

I have an E61 boiler machine, a Vibiemme Domobar Levetta ( not the Super hx variety) and the machine requires at least 30 mins to heat up properly.

Bear in mind that during that time, Im also exercising the heating wand to ensure all the pipes are hot.

Trevorbeans