Thread: Diamond Italia

Diamond Italia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Howdy Coffenistas. Has anyone come across a prosumer machine known as Diamond Italia. Basic specs are: E61 group head, Copper boiler. Looks similar to the Giotto and retails for around $2400. It seems that theyre new to the market. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
    SloppyJoe 8-)

Re: Diamond Italia

Hi SloppyJoe. I think youve come to the right place. Look on the left of your screen and youll notice that Diamond C Services are sponsors here.

QUOTE: "We also have just launched our prosumer range of equipment under our own brand name "Diamond Italia" Home Espresso Machine"

Suggest you have a chat with them!. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJoe link=1199782301/0#0 date=1199782301
    Howdy Coffenistas. Has anyone come across a prosumer machine known as Diamond Italia. Basic specs are: E61 group head, Copper boiler. Looks similar to the Giotto and retails for around $2400. It seems that theyre new to the market. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
    SloppyJoe 8-)

Hello Sloppy Joe,

We launched these machines in the Australian Market in September 2007.

All technical information available from our website at:

http://www.myitalia.com.au/technical-data.html

Details of retail outlets stocking this product available from our website at:

http://www.myitalia.com.au/retailers.html

Just key in your postcode for a listing of retail outlets closest to you - a working model should be on display as well.

We have most of Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth covered.

Cheers,

Michael
    Diamond C Services

Banned

we have them in stock and on special at $1950 see here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933441

Re: Win a Diamond Italia

Win a Diamond Italia.

Just a note to let everyone know the competition that we are running with the launch of the Diamond Italia is closing on the 24th January 2008.

So anyone wishing to enter - can go to our site to register:

http://www.myitalia.com.au/

There are 3 Diamond Italias to be won - and as they say you have to be in it to win it.

Just a reminder that our $200 Cash Back offer on the Diamond Italia - finishes at the end of March.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1198151783

Got to our website and to check our participating retailer network - to take advantage of this great offer.

http://www.myitalia.com.au/retailers.html

PCR

Bargain.!

Youre not going to find a 1.8 ltr HX thermosyphon system with a Faema E 61 looking as good as this one does at that kind of price.
    The best bit is it gives you the opportunity with the savings to buy yourself a great grinder with it.
    If you dont have a great grinder you wont get good coffee - No matter how good the coffee machine is.
    Give them a look over. Probably the best looking machine out there.IMHO

Banned

If you buy today from me then the price is $1750 after cashback, cant argue with that. Has to be this month though so last day is today.

Quote Originally Posted by PCR link=1199782301/0#6 date=1206874198
    Bargain.!

Youre not going to find a 1.8 ltr HX thermosyphon system with a Faema E 61 looking as good as this one does at that kind of price.
    The best bit is it gives you the opportunity with the savings to buy yourself a great grinder with it.
    If you dont have a great grinder you wont get good coffee - No matter how good the coffee machine is.
    Give them a look over. Probably the best looking machine out there.IMHO
    Problem for buyers is the lack of reviews or more detailed images on this machine.

After the rah-rah of the competition (Win a Diamond Italia!...ahve the winners been announced?), there was the cashback offer but nothing else.

Can someone post a detailed review? It would be good to see more photos, etc. Sure, the specs are great on paper but how does it drive?

Maybe Diamond C services should consider loaning out the machine to reviewers? This is done with other sites such as Coffeegeek. There just isnt much on the internet on the machine and people might be inclined to go with the tried and tested HX e-61 machines with tons of photos, reviews etc.

So, would Diamond like to lend me a machine to review? *;)

PCR

I dont sell the machine.
    So i have no vested interest.
    I do have a very beefy HX machine (for home)of my own and im in the industry.
    Ive had the pleasure to play with it as i have with many others in its class.
    You cant beat that particular package (machine for price)
    There are many machines out there that might have different features but if youre looking for a HX machine and you cant afford the grinder if you buy one. Well this is the machine for you.
    Seriously.

A long time after youre ashes to ashes or dust to dust someone will inherit it and continue to make great coffee.
    Most of these machines have pretty much generic parts(Gicar - Mater p/stat e 61 showers and seals.. and Diamond C have been around for decades importing and sevicing machines. So the service factor isnt a problem.

Banned

We have had a few through our shop. After we bench tested the first one my business parter took it home to replace his Silvia. We bench tested it against the Bezzerea Domus, and kept in mind the Giotto which was unavailable at the time.

After a long play we concluded:

The shot qaulity was as good as any machine in its class. There are minor differences between machines but we decided that they would be unnoticable to 99% of customers. The steam power is good, more than enough for a few coffees in a row or some big jugs.

Pros: Small, looks great, easy to work on, light weight, great espresso and steam power, easy water refilling, large drip tray, looks, price, warrenty
    Cons: Plastic sides, smaller boiler than competitors

In a home environment with 2-4 coffee drinkers we decided that the steam capacity (element Vs boiler size) was more than enough. Ergonomics were great. Vibration noise was minimal. Ease of filling and emptying were generous. We also opened it up and did a mock service, this was as easy as any of this class machine. Also a 24 month warrenty on parts and labour.

We do sell the Diamond Italia, Giotto and Bezzera Domus Galatea.

These machines cover a good price range and the quality is reflective. However I would not sell a machine I would not own, and They are all great machines for their price point. Under a budget you could get the Italia and a Mazzer Mini for the same price or less as a Bezzera and an Ibertal. I would go for the better grinder personally.

Machine is known overseas as La Nuova Era Cuadra, if that helps you to sniff out more info.
    http://www.lanuovaera.com/english/cuadra.htm

Quote Originally Posted by vicroamer link=1199782301/0#11 date=1207036225
    Machine is known overseas as La Nuova Era Cuadra, if that helps you to sniff out more info.
    Thanks. Thats useful to know. Just like the Makin Espresso being a Maver, it looks like the Diamond Italia is a rebadged La Nuova Era.

Can Diamond C tell us if they did any tweaks to the machine? I know that David Makin had some input in his machine.

I found one (albeit positive) review of the Diamond Italia: http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/commercial/lanuovaeracuadra/geertdevries

TC

Quote Originally Posted by shawn_low link=1199782301/0#12 date=1207042158
    Quote Originally Posted by vicroamer link=1199782301/0#11 date=1207036225
    Thanks. Thats useful to know. Just like the Makin Espresso being a Maver, it looks like the Diamond Italia is a rebadged La Nuova Era.

Can Diamond C tell us if they did any tweaks to the machine? I know that David Makin had some input in his machine.

I found one (albeit positive) review of the Diamond Italia: http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/commercial/lanuovaeracuadra/geertdevries
    Im not sure what your point is Shawn :-?

Rebadging happens in all industries and is no secret in espresso machines. Whats important is whether its merchantable, whether its good and whether its supported. This helps prospective purchasers make their choices.

If you wanted to ask Diamond C about their machine, why not send Michael a PM or email?

He may have answers which hes prepared to share here or privately- or not.....

The machine will be on the bench soon at the showroom for a look/play and also to coincide with the launch of the grinder for loan scheme.

Chris

Im not sure what your point is Chris :-?

I dont think shawn was questioning the practice/ethics of rebadging so Im not sure why youve jumped on that.
    It seems to me that knowing a machine is rebadged for the australian market helps potential buyers find out more about the machine. Given we are such small fish in such a big pond, details of machines that are sold under a different name here can be scarce unless you know the original name.

While obviously its ideal to bench test every machine on offer when picking the one that suits, its just not practical for those of us without our own test-bench in the sales room ;) My practice & I assume the practice of many others when selecting a product is to narrow down my options via the information available on the net before going out & bench-testing the short list. Seems to me that this thread is in the spirit of potentially short-listing the machine in question.

On the question of whether modificationss have been made to the re-badged machine or not; this is just to help put the reviews for the original machine in context. Can they be read as is, or should they be read taking in mind that X, Y & Z have been changed to suit local conditions. In much the same way that we can read giotto reviews, but keep in mind that youve improved temp stability greatly.

While I understand the need to protect sponsors interests, I personally dont think stifling discussion in a forum dedicated to machine discussions is the way to do it. People are showing a genuine interest in the machine so better to discuss the pros & cons here in the spirit of openness & get reviews documented from people that have used the machine. A far better way to win over not just buyers, but long-term customers in my book.
    Or are the brewing equipment forums to be limited to discussions on machines not sold by our sponsors (aside from sponsor posted advertorials), with all sponsor sold machine discussions held via email. That would be a great shame indeed.

Mike

TC

Hi dsgfh,

My point was simply that many machines are rebadged- you need only to look at Macap and Rossi for example in grinders.

Its very likely that the machine will be different in some aspects as it has come to and been certified for the Australian market.

Expobar and VBM here perform differently to those in the US market, and even VBM from the previous importer are very different- they run red hot.

David Makin hasnt supplied us with specifics of what has been done to his machine, nor have ECA for VBM and I dont think we really need them anyway. The important thing is to get them on the bench, run them through their paces and gather your thoughts.

At the suggestion of Diamond, Ill be doing that with their machine post cafebiz, publishing some findings and some pix here and at that point Ill better be able to offer my personal opinions on the machine. We are not ranging the machine yet but may possibly add it to range once tested.

It will be at the showroom for a week and Melbourne CSers are most welcome to come for a play on Saturday 19th.

Sorry Chris, I dont think I made my point clear. *I dont think anyones asking exactly what has been done to the internals of a machine to make it different/improve it for our market. *What people are asking when querying changes for the local market is looking for how has the functionality of the machine been changed compared to the original.

Functionality chage vs Tech Specs. *For example, "improved temp stability within 0.5C instead of the originals 1.5C" is a functional change. *"Using a 1.6mm thermosyphon restrictor instead of the stock 2.0mm one" is a tech spec change.

So asking "if the machine has been changed for the local market" is really a question of "How is this machine functionally different from the machine Im reading a review about on CoffeeGeek/HomeBarista/etc?"
    Sure, we might be curious how it was acheived, but the HOW isnt the substance of the question.

& yes, of course bench-testing is the only way to answer 100%, but if I can read a number of decent reviews (someone elses bench tests) it might help me constrain the machines that I choose to bench test myself.

TC

No worries dsg,

Its just good to keep in mind that many/most web tests are on US machines- which are 110V and are frequently much different to ours. With respect to functionality, Im sure that importers will be saying zero change or if there is a change, for the better! ;)

Chris

One observation, that may not be worth the space that I am writing this in, but.....this machine weighs in at about 14kg, whilst most other E61s are up around 25kg....

Is there a specific reason as to why this is so light? Is this even a consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by dsgfh link=1199782301/0#14 date=1207080976
    Im not sure what your point is Chris :-?

I dont think shawn was questioning the practice/ethics of rebadging so Im not sure why youve jumped on that. *
    It seems to me that knowing a machine is rebadged for the australian market helps potential buyers find out more about the machine. *Given we are such small fish in such a big pond, details of machines that are sold under a different name here can be scarce unless you know the original name.

Mike
    I think Mike and I are on the same page and he has helped articulate a lot of what Im trying to say. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ona rampage link=1199782301/15#18 date=1207106499
    One observation, that may not be worth the space that I am writing this in, but.....this machine weighs in at about 14kg, whilst most other E61s are up around 25kg....

Is there a specific reason as to why this is so light? Is this even a consideration?
    The side panels on the Diamond Italia are chromed plastic. Other machines such as the VBMs are fully metal. That might made a little difference. Im sure other things matter but without comparing specs side to side, its hard to say more.

nja

Ive just taken the plunge and bought a Diamond Italia to replace my Sunbeam EM6900 doorstop. Ive also replaced my EM0480 with an Ascaso iMini.

Ive only just taken it all out of the box, so Im sure Im in for a long and painstaking weekend spent throwing out a kilo of coffee before I get the thing dialled in. I dont really have anything constructive to say at this point other than the thing looks gorgeous!

After about 45 mins of playing around I think Im about 70% there. I popped by Di Bartoli on the way home and had a lovely chat to Ofra and booked myself in for an hour with Renzo next week to help me fine tune both the gear and (more importantly) my technique.

Anyway, the point of this whole thing is that Ill post a (rookies) review of the machine and the lesson late next week...

Great stuff nja 8-) and Welcome to CoffeeSnobs too....... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Youre in for some real fun ahead of you with that excellent equipment, especially after your tutoring session with Renzo. Dont forget, we love to see photos of everyones new setups so dont be shy with the camera ;) ::).

All the best :),
    Mal.

A bit late to be posting here regarding the Diamond Italia. Weve had ours for a few months now, and are quite happy with it. As in - very happy with it. Got it from Fabio at Coffea, Victoria Market. Makes great coffee. My previous machine was a Pavoni Professional, which will be going on ebay some day when I can find the time.

I had no idea the sides werent steel. But I just checked, and it appears they are. Meh. Still makes great espresso. Plenty of guts.

Only problem is the coffee is so good, were going through beans at quite a high rate. Ill have four or five short macs every Saturday and Sunday AM, and my wife will have three at least. During the week, we only have 2 each in the morning before work.

A 500gm bag hardly lasts us a week anymore.

Well have to cut back somewhere else. Mabye the house insurance will have to go. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 675B565F5C5D5A4640330 link=1199782301/22#22 date=1244372834
    A 500gm bag hardly lasts us a week anymore.

Well have to cut back somewhere else. Mabye the house insurance will have to go. Smiley

Nah
    Start roasting your own

KK

TC

Owners and prospective Italia buyers should keep in mind that Diamond Services has been in receivership and parts supply/service my become difficult, if not impossible. Id suspect that there is no warranty support for existing owners,

kbc

Hi,

Is there any more news on servicing for these machines? Are parts be available from overseas?

Thanks.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 0A3B2F36236E6A6E5A0 link=1199782301/25#25 date=1244892144
    Hi,

Is there any more news on servicing for these machines? *Are parts be available from overseas?

Thanks.
    Hi Pauly....Any good service agent familiar with e-61 machines should be able to service them. Most parts are generic...

2mcm