Thread: La Cimbili Jr D help

blunt

La Cimbili Jr D help

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After completely rebuilding my machine i enjoyed it for 3 days and now im having an issue with it. It seems to be over filling. The ball in the sight glass is pegged at the top of the glass , the boiler is leaking thru the pressure relief valve and its building excessive pressure. with the machine off it continues to fill the boiler to the point its leaking out of the other safety valve (sorry, dont know technical name for it) thats attached to the steam wand pipe. if i shut the water source off the leak stops. what keeps the water level at the proper level? might i have a bad valve or something? the pressure hasnt been changed and i have a new pressure relief valve installed. i was so happy for 3 days as i had it dialed in and it was making exceptional coffee. i was so pleased i splurged on a new tamper. here it is in skelator mode as i was making sure i had no leaks before butting it up. anyone have some advice for me??

Re: La Cimbili Jr D help

Hi blunt,

The water level is maintained by an autofill circuit.

In the majority of La Cimbali models this is a probe which goes down into the tank and detects the water level.

Firstly this probe requires the passage of current to work. If you are using demineralised / deionised / distilled or reverse osmosis water - there are no ions in the water for conduction - no current flow and the water wont be detected.

If using softened water that will be fine. Now the probe can get coated with a layer of scale which will also insulate it..... no water detection.

If the lead at the end of the probe has come off or is loose again no current flow.

The detection circuit is a relay. If that is faulty it can cause autofill to operate when it shouldnt.

The autofill operates a solenoid (and the pump).... but if the solenoid is faulty (on a plumbed in unit) then water from the mains can pass into the boiler.....

If it is a fully automatic (volumetric) model autofill is managed by the computer board rather than just a relay.... and these boards can develop faults.....

Whatever the cause, it needs to be found and corrected before attempting to use the machine or water will shower out from the overpressure valve over all the internals..... and if this gets onto the ends of the heater for example it can cause damage by wicking up into the heater element (and also short out other electrical bits)....

Best of luck - they are a great machine once working correctly.

blunt

thanks java, after i made this post this morning i had a few hours so i decided to rip into it and see what makes it work. after studying it for a while i figured out theres a solenoid fill valve so i took it apart and could see that it was weak and was doing what you suggested here

"The autofill operates a solenoid (and the pump).... but if the solenoid is faulty (on a plumbed in unit) then water from the mains can pass into the boiler....."

i stretched the spring a tad and put it back together and no more water bypassing the valve and it maintains the proper level again. ill keep an eye on it closely and if it acts up again ill order a new valve and spring. for now im happy. and thank you

Hi Blunt
    Can you tell us more about that tamper :o

blunt

Quote Originally Posted by vicroamer link=1206123126/0#3 date=1206221430
    Hi Blunt
    Can you tell us more about that tamper :o
    i sure can. when i was in at my espresso supplier i asked what they had. they brought this thing out and said it was 200 bucks. lots more than i wanted to spend but i agreed to get it. when they went to ring it up they told me it was 500. i was shocked and said the guy in the back said 200. well obviously there was a mistake and i passed on it. i got in my car and drove off and 2 blocks from there they called my cell and told me they had a demo i could have for 200. so i went back and grabbed it. as it turns out i got home and searched the web and found it new for 297.00. this place is always high but they have given me good deals in the past and ive become friends with the techs. so i guess i still got an ok deal but for a few bucks more they are new. it has a 30lb slip clutch built in and is made by press point. its made a huge difference in my shots but you have to realize i was hand tamping before. its a real piece of art and is made very well. i like it as much for its industrial look as its function.

It looks like overkill for a tamper.

I like it! *

DONT USE

stretched the spring a tad and put it back together and no more water bypassing the valve and it maintains the proper level again. ill keep an eye on it closely and if it acts up again ill order a new valve and spring. for now im happy. and thank you
    order it now before it fails, again, and floods the bosses kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by fix link=1206123126/0#6 date=1206319458
    stretched the spring a tad and put it back together and no more water bypassing the valve and it maintains the proper level again. ill keep an eye on it closely and if it acts up again ill order a new valve and spring. for now im happy. and thank you
    order it now before it fails, again, and floods the bosses kitchen
    I would strongly recommend this. *

"stretching" out the spring may be a temporary fix, but you also naturally change the tension of the spring.

I had a junior d in my kitchen for about 5 months around 3 yrs back. *I came home one night only to discover it had been over filling whilst turned off. *I ripped open the valve after i had shut the water off, and noticed a broken spring. *:o

Anyways, it worked out ok, because i had the machine placed on the stainless side bit of my sink - where the dishes usually dry.